Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 07:51   #1

Cabin layout options - Pullman vs. Centerline

why one over the other? for the purpose of this post, i'm asking specifically about forward centerlines - not aft.

from what i know now, forward Centerlines are useless offshore and mediocre in a choppy bay. however, what advantage would a Pullman offer and you've only moved the bed back 2 feet and shifted it to one side?

what prompted the question:
Outbound 46-Arrangements
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:56   #2

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40
In my Passport 40, the pullman seems to allow for more stowage (drawers and hanging lockers) in the forward stateroom than the v-berth verson of the same boat. I also like the full-width head in the bow, it makes for nice natural light and ventilation. I also prefer the cozy feeling the pullman creates. With two in the berth, the outboard sleeper has to climb over their partner to get out though. I think a centerline v-berth may offer easier access for two folks, although the v-berth in a Passport 40 doesn't seem to offer that advantage.

I hope this rambling helps.
RunningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:03   #3

In my Pasport 47 I liked the head in the bow, lots of room. However I didnt like the pullman that much. Difficult to get in and out of for the person laying outboard and could be a little warm and "closed up" feeling. The outboard person usually is partially under the deck.... dont wake up sith a start! I like being in a V berth with the large hatch open overhead. However, the pullman did have 6 huge drawers underneath... trade offs.....compromises
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:06   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
To Vee or not to Vee

A tough decision for sure! My observation is that the Pulman arrangement means that the outboard sleeper must crawl over the inboard one each time nature, a slapping halyard, anchor alarm or other factor requires getting up. The center line berth as shown in the Outward 46 brochure you posted looks comfy all right, but unless you fitted lee-cloths any heel angle or rolling would make sleeping an adventure!

Insatiable II is a fairly similar boat in many ways. We have a more traditional Vee-berth forward, where the mattress extends clear out to the hull ceilings. No worries about falling out, but a bitch to make up. For what it's worth, we often sleep forward while on passage (unlesss going to windward in more than about 10 kts true). Much quieter there, out of the traffic and activity of the watch-keeper.

All in all, the Outward design looks good for a production boat, and since it was designed by Carl, I'm sure that it will sail really well.

Good luck with it...

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Gladstone Qld Oz
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, pullman, vberth