Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2018, 14:16   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Re: CA tax aggravation - vessel on east coast

If California treats you like they treated me, you won't get any response, they just go away.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 14:17   #32

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR CREDIT REPORTS. CA DOES FILE UNPAID TAX CLAIMS WITH THE CREDIT REPORTING AGENCIES.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:05   #33

And they will put a lien on your boat.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 21:18   #34

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I can not count how many times I went face with the tax collector. They thought the boat I paid $100, yes only one hundred dollars was worth $5000 to them. Old Macgregor 25 hull with nothing else. No sails, motor, mast.... I told them if the could get $5000 for it he could have half the profits.

They grossly over value everything and then when talking face to face and thinking everything is resolved you get another notice in the mail.

Best bunch of con artists ever. Good luck do not give up.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 06:57   #35

Boat: 47 CT Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to andybaldwins

Just to throw another log on that fire. I was in Afghanistan, (not a resident of any state) bought a boat in Texas. Documented it with the USCG. Renamed the vessel with South Carolina hailing port. The boat left Texas for the Caribbean and has been out of the USA ever since. South Carolina regularly sends me the "Prove it Hasn't been in South Carolina" documentation every year.
andybaldwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 07:17   #36

I don't know about US law, but I believe that their demands are way beyond their authority.
You bought the boat in NC, you can prove that. That should be all that matters. If it was me, I would send them a polite but sarcastic letter telling them to F.O.
This story reminds me of a landowner in rural N/Y. The local council tried to prosecute him for a dam on a small river that flowed through his property. He just ignored the letters, then went to court and asked them to describe the dam .... that had been built by beavers.

A diplomat is someone who has the ability to tell them to go-to-hell, in such a way that they actually look forward to the trip.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 07:21   #37

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
If it was me, I would send them a polite but sarcastic letter telling them to F.O.

The problem is that the state then files a tax lien and takes money straight from your bank account (no action needed on your part). While this doesn't seem right, it is what happens. Putting your head in the sand and giving the state the finger only costs you more in the long run.
Old 20-08-2018, 07:32   #38

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

I have found CA to be extremely aggressive (read that to mean AHs with no authority) . They currently claim I owe them $10K. Its a bogus claim. I have moved any money I have out of their reach (Use only banks that DONT have a branch in CA, dont use a stock broker, own no property there) They are so offensive that I dont know why ANYONE in their right mind would live there. Its like a totalitarian state. I was born there and love the place, But I left in 1956 before it turned Communist. I am almost afraid to drive thru it because of their draconian laws.

I recently ran for County Sheriff here in Texas and used my tiff with CA as a campaign badge of honor!!! I will fight them to the death after all the LIES they have told me to try to collect that money that I DONT OWE THEM. And they KNOW its a bogus claim. They DO NOT bargain in good faith and if you bargain with them, DONT give them any slack and dont agree to anything not on paper. They will lie thru their teeth to get you to agree to anything. Its been 14 years now. After 7 years the liens were dropped. But they never hurt my credit rating. I think the credit rating people know that CA is one BIG LIE.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 07:33   #39

I guarantee the fact that you blacked out the purchase price and refused to fill out that part of the form is what flagged your account. I get the principle but not sure why you would antagonize them over something that seems fairly minor to me.
tschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:23   #40

Sounds like WA is the place to have as a hailing port. I tried to register a boat in WA that was not in the state. They wouldn't let me.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:23   #41

Boat: cal 48, pearson commander 26

Yes I went through the cal. Tax hell! They will not give up! After many back and forth mailings and phone calls. I ultimately sent them every receipt I had from the four years that I had owned the boat . Moring, maintenence, fule, parts inportation, (boat has been in mexico for the last 50th years) and even a singed letter from the boat yard owner who had stored the boat for the last 3 owners, 15 years! I recall it was 26 pages of documents. And finally a letter came in the mail "this case is closed" the red flag was me trying to document the boat with US Coast Gaurd. That is where Ca. Discovered I had purchased the boat. This Ca.heavy handed taxation has been well documented in latitude 38. Best of luck!
fullkeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:34   #42

In my experience and opinion, most civil and public servants are bullies. They want you to simply do what they tell you, without dissent.
Old 20-08-2018, 08:38   #43

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Many states are different. Here in Texas, occasionally you will run into a bullie, but most are helpful people that live next door to you.

I even refrain from documenting my boat for fear CA will have access since its a national registry.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:42   #44

So reading this conversation, it would seem that the two best states to document your boat in (hailing port and ownership) would be Delaware and Alaska. This from the point of view of sales tax and PPT. Easy enough to do with an LLC.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:43   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchondesign View Post
If California treats you like they treated me, you won't get any response, they just go away.
I am glad to read that it is not universal. I HAVE got very cynical in the last 10 years.

Tags
east coast