Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2008, 17:50   #1

C & C 30 Offshore New York to Bermuda

Any thoughts on my plan of sailing an older c & c 30 from ny to bermuda in june, 2009? The boat has always seemed solid in Long Island Sound but I am not familiar with its offshore characteristics. Any help, positive comments and insights would be appreciated.
martinbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 20:10   #2

Fine boats but not exactly ideally designed for blue water cruising. However.... if the boat is in excellent shape, has proper safety equipment and a good crew...AND has no time pressure...June is a good time for the trip and odds are good for a safe trip in your boat.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 02:14   #3

c & c 30

What would the boat need, in your opinion, to do the trip safely? What is proper equipment, why is time frame important? I know that June is best. Your insights are appreciated.
Old 22-12-2008, 03:21   #4

Timeframe - not being rushed to go without a good weather window, including a good Gulf Stream forecast - is important so you don't make poor decisions because you feel pressured. It's far too easy to take a small risk, leading to a cascade of risky decisions, because you want to get into port before Friday, or whatever.

As for proper safety gear, it's unfortunately subjective. If you haven't done so, I would suggest you contact your local US Power Squadron and arrange for a safety walk-through of your vessel. They have a list of safety gear both what is legally required and what their studies find helpful, and they give classes too; you'll have plenty of time to learn and get things ready before your departure date.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 10:45   #5

Martin...Amgine has the time-frame concerns exactly right. As to proper equipment...first the boat itself needs to be sound and solid...the rigging coming down or the rudder post breaking are not things you want to worry about. Same deal on sheets/halyards/sails that are old and worn. All through hulls and hoses should be in good working shape. Spare Handheld GPS's and batteries for them should be carried.
I'd also get a good engine servicing and fuel tank cleaning and carry plenty of Racors along with common engine spares and also a sail repair kit.

You and your crew should be experienced in reefing sails and handling the boat in 40+knots in LI Sound.
Other than coast guard required equipment I think that minimally you also need:
1. A life raft.
2. A Man Overboard Pole and system like life-sling
3. Harnesses and tethers for each crew member AND strong points to clip on to on the boat.
4. Jack Lines
5. An EPIRB
6. A SOLAS flare kit

Optionally...I would consider Personal locator beacons and a rental satellite phone for the trip.

Much more can be done...but that is the minimum I would consider for safety.

June is an excellent time for the trip due to settled weather, warming temperatures and no chance of hurricanes. The newport/bermuda race site has lots of good info available for download about what they require for a similar passage.
http://www.bermudarace.com/Portals/0...on_booklet.pdf

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 11:05   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Monthly hurricane probabilities

Although June has good statistics. Hurricanes seem to have a mind of their own in timing, and direction. Here's a little information, and you can scroll down for some extra info.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 12:45   #7

c & c to Bermuda

Thanks to you all for your insights. I still go back to the question of the seaworthiness of the boat. I have been to Bermuda and back on at least two occassions. Once on a 42 foot Evelyn. That trip was horrendous and I would not get on a boat afterwards. Another time on an aluminum 82foot sloop. That trip was a dream even in 35 knot winds. The boat moved like a frieght train and it felt like a summer cruise.

It turned out that the Evelyn was an ultralight that had a motion that knocked everyone out. The custom 82 footer was heavy, strong and tracked like a dream.

I wondered over the seakeeping abilities of the c & c 30 and how it would feel to be on it in 35 knot winds and big seas.
Old 22-12-2008, 13:50   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
COME ON DOWN!!

Next year we celebrate our 400th anniversery, and June/July will be the prime event months for the marine stuff. I'm pretty sure there will be some sort of flotilla from NY area to Bermuda. Newport/Bermuda is even years. Keep an eye on Royal Bermuda Yacht Club site, NYYC site, and Bermuda Gov site. I would think you'll have a lot of company for a crossing in that time slot. If I can help steer you to anything in particular, feel free to post here. I would like to see as many of you folks here, as possible.
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 14:34   #9

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I can't opine on your vessel, so I will defer to those more familiar with it.

I took a safety at sea seminar at Annapolis before my Bermuda run. I found it very informative.

In addition to Camaderies suggestions.....

Long range communications to me, is essential. SSB, or other means of communicating and obtaining weather data. weather faxes!
Know how to use it.

You might want to consider purchasing some gulf stream routing information from one of the purveyors of that info. Jennifer Clarke is most well known. Excellent information!

Check in with Herb Hildenberg. for weather routing.

I had an experienced ocean sailor inspect my vessel and make a list of suggestions:
here's a few he made that I implemented.

Have a means of fastening any loose floorboards down. I attached a hook and bungy cord system. To each board to keep them in place.

Lee cloths didn't hold up for me on the first trip...so we made a crib rail system for the salon berth. When I'm not using it to sleep at sea...it's great for keeping gear from bouncing around.

Have a means of fastening your companion way boards shut. I have two slide latches in the bottom board to keep it in place. The other two we run a line up through a hole in the top board to small cleats inside and out...this will help keep seas from getting in...and boards from flying out.

I don't allow glass on my vessel when at sea.

Refrigeration

Take a swim..when you can...it's refreshing and rejuvenating..

Have plenty of ready to eat foods that require no cooking or prepartion..if you get into weather...you need quick easy energy. ( keep food dry) Paper and carboard packaging will absorb all moisture...( food is a chapter)
if you know of advancing weather...cook a hot meal and make some hot water to keep in a thermos. )

Do you have storm sails? a storm jib, a trisail? I would recommend at least a storm jib and a triple reefed main...no less than a double reef.

Redundant GPS's...an extra handheld...is cheap enough!

Check your position regularly, keep a paper chart backup. The Stream is a river...you want to make sure you are not sailing backwards......or in my case it was sideways..for awhile...haha...

try to take full advantage of the favorable eddies...they can help push you where you want to be.

Catch fish!!!...and have fun..!

Happy Holidays!!...

Tempest!!
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 19:55   #10

Boat: Beneteau 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
...Have a means of fastening any loose floorboards down. I attached a hook and bungy cord system. To each board to keep them in place....

Do you have any pictures of how to secure your floorboards down?

I have a Beneteau 50 and those floorboards are pretty heavy and would not be fun to deal with in a knockdown or worse.
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 20:16   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
C&C is a great around the buoys and coastal boat but a bit lightweight for offshore use especially the 30. They have done the trip and more but not what they were built for. Whether you should or could take it to Bermuda is a decision you will have to make and not the folks here on the board. Practical Sailor did a good review on the boat if you can get a copy of that.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 07:45   #12

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Bene,

Not at the moment, I will try to take a few next time I'm at the yard and post them.

Tempest
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
COME ON DOWN!!

Next year we celebrate our 400th anniversery, and June/July will be the prime event months for the marine stuff. I'm pretty sure there will be some sort of flotilla from NY area to Bermuda. Newport/Bermuda is even years. Keep an eye on Royal Bermuda Yacht Club site, NYYC site, and Bermuda Gov site. I would think you'll have a lot of company for a crossing in that time slot. If I can help steer you to anything in particular, feel free to post here. I would like to see as many of you folks here, as possible.
There actually are precious few rallies or flotillas to Bermuda that are not hardcore races. I know from first-hand experience.
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore, Bermuda, c&c 30, new york