Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2023, 12:21   #1

Boat: Express 30
BVI vs Bahamas

Planning a charter in April. Thinking of trying the Bahamas. Been to the BVIs a dozen times. No complaints just put off by the airfares this time. Would like to know what the Bahamas would be like vs the BVIs. We would be doing the Abacos. Are there plenty of different harbors with restaurants?
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 12:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: BVI vs Bahamas

Very personal question.

I would do the Abaco trip simply because it is new territory.

I am not a huge fan of the VI’s. Abaco would likely be easier sailing.

There are sufficient different places to visit. And a very different culture.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 14:36   #3

Abacos has lagoon type sailing & some good restaurants. I work on a private motor yacht & go there often. Protection is good. I like it
rustyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 17:29   #4

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Why not further south?
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 00:56   #5

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

April is a great time for Abacos. We have been there about 10 times over the years and 4 times to BVI on our own boat, we loved both places, Abacos is less crowded, calmer waters and definitely more suited to catamarans.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 02:35   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

We spent three months in the Abacos last summer as a charter for the Boy Scouts of America, Seabase, Marsh Harbour. The Conch Inn Marina is where Dream Yacht Charters and one other charter is there. The Moorings is on the south side of the island at the Abaco Beach Resort.

Sailing in the Abacos is very sheltered. Water depths rarely exceed fifteen feet. There are lots of places to anchor near settlements or isolated. SCUBA and snorkeling is excellent. Fishing is so so in the shallow waters. Hopetown (Elbow Cay), Great Guana, Green Turtle, and Marsh Harbour all have restaurants and bars. Pete's Pub in Little Harbour is a bit south, but is worth the trip.

Feel free to ask about other amenities and details you are looking for.

Have fun.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:06   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i like the bahamas better than the BVI. more coral and less people. yes it is shallow. but beautiful. the exumas would be fun in addition to abacos.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:14   #8

We’ve done the BVI’s a bunch and the Abacos once, right before Dorian hit. I actually liked the Abacos better as it felt a little more like authentic cruising.

Go see new places, Its better in the Bahamas!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:19   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I enjoyed a few trips to the BVI years ago. It was a good learning experience but seemed limited to destinations. The Bahamas offers a lot more selection of destinations.
Lately I have been working as a charter captain for Cruise Abaco in Marsh harbor in the Bahamas. I think it’s worth looking at us for a charter. Wide selection of Monos and Cats. Many great sailing areas within our limits. And you can have the option of taking a captain with you for part or all of the trip, with the captain leaving the boat every afternoon so you can enjoy the boat without a stranger on board. We often act as a good source of local knowledge, teaching to read the shallow waters, and can usually help add to your sailing, anchoring etc skills.
Drop me a message here if I can answer any questions about the area.
Make sure you read recent reviews before you select your charter company anywhere.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 06:00   #10

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

The Abacos are a great cruising ground. My only caveat would be that the water in the Abacos in April will still be cold by comparison to the water in the VI's.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:52   #11

I'd go British Virgin Islands or second choice St Barts/Anguila. Bahamas will have too many American tourists.
YachtBoyRMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:07   #12

Boat: Hunter 41

Agree with most above, have also done BVI and Abacos. I feel that Abacos is more protected sailing and setting is beautiful. Easier anchoring, in my opinion, and lots of dining option ashore. The mooring ball set up is not as developed as it is in the BVI. We like to take Winter or early Spring charters, and warmer temperatures in the BVI is my main motivation for going there that time of the year. Both are great places to sail. You won't be disappointed if you go to the Abacos.
captainfaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:20   #13

There's more "out back' in the Bahamas. You can find more isolated spots etc. Depends if you want that, or drinks and restaurants.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 13:46   #14

We have chartered sailboats in the BVI's, several Bitter Pro Am's where we sailed the BVI's and 5 winters in the Abacos.

The Abacos "tick all our boxes".

Criteria:
Ability to resupply (water, food, etc). Important if you are spending weeks/months. We like to eat!

Ability to be the only boat (or maybe two) in an anchorage less than 1/2 a day from resupply point= Marsh Harbor.

Enjoyable snorkeling. Use to be (we are taking decades ago) excellent lobster hunting. Since pretty well cleaned out.

Interesting "ports of call-- from Walker to Little Harbor.
Wolfe10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 16:51   #15

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

One thing I like better about the Abacos is that you don’t get the sense that the majority of the population is dependent on tourism.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, BVI