Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2024, 08:38   #1

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
Buying used windvane??

Considering purchasing a used windvane. Most likely Hydrovane (if I can find one) or Monitor (very easy to find).

What does it take to modify these for a new transom? I have tools and skills to do it, but donít want to go down a hole of parts and work and mods.

Also, having an emergency rudder is very high on my radar. I understand both can do this? Any comments or advice on using either for this appreciated.

David
Seattle
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 09:39   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Buying used windvane??

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post
Considering purchasing a used windvane. Most likely Hydrovane (if I can find one) or Monitor (very easy to find).

What does it take to modify these for a new transom? I have tools and skills to do it, but donít want to go down a hole of parts and work and mods.

Also, having an emergency rudder is very high on my radar. I understand both can do this? Any comments or advice on using either for this appreciated.

David
Seattle

Two thoughts:

• I once saw a sign in a salvage shop that said "all cars run on used parts." It's true.
  • You didn't tell us what boat and your avitar shows a power boat. As for multi-hulls, they don't generally work well for several reasons.
Old 12-06-2024, 10:08   #3

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

Too much depends on the transom it came from and what it's going on to give an answer of any real value.
The 2 units you mention are completely different designs, ones a auxiliary rudder the other a servo pendulum, each has completly different mounting requirements and performance levels.
1 steers a smaller extra rudder the other steers the boats main rudder.
1 steers by wind pressure on the air vane geared to a balanced auxiliary rudder the other is a pendulum pushed by hydrodynamics providing high power to turn the boats main rudder.

I have a emergency rudder conversion for my servo pendulum Windpilot Pacific. Have never needed it. I put 6,000 Miles on my unit last year alone, I'm singlehanded and would not cross any ocean without a good windvane. I would put that 1st and foremost on my requirements and backups to backups second. You'll never know what could break underway and how it might break. A bent stuck rudder will have you doing circles, tough to cure that.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 10:09   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I bought a used Monitor for my boat and had no trouble fitting it the transom.

Takes a bit of planning and preparation to ensure everything fits.

The hardest part was figuring out a route from the Monitor to the steering wheel and this will require some thought and the purchase of a few odds and ends.

The unit works surprisingly well, but the trick is to have your sails trimmed correctly for your chosen course.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 10:12   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

I own a Monitor and it is generally pretty easy to fit it to most transoms. You Just cut the tubes to the right length, and if already too short, order new mounting tubes from Scanmar.

Scanmar will also provide some pre-purchase information if you give them the serial number of the unit. How old it is, what changes in design have been made since it was sold etc. They also have drawings of most boats (any boat for which they have sold one) showing mounting etc. which could be useful in figuring what would be needed to modify it.

I would guess the same true of the Hydro vane, but I don't own one.
Old 19-06-2024, 17:53   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

If you are considering the purchase of a Monitor windvane be sure to get the serial number of the unit BEFORE MONEY CHANGES HANDS. Contact Scanmar with the serial number and they can provide the history of that unit, year made, etc. There have been modifications over the years and the original units are not made out of the same grade stainless as the new units.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, wind, windvane