Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019, 07:33   #31

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565
Re: Buying my first boat- exhilarating and agonizing!

Following ....... good to know where the locals are!
Dennis
flyingnut40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:21   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

We are in a similar position, looking for our first boat for Lake Superior for now, with firm plans to head south in 5 years. Does the advice of getting a smaller cheaper boat now still apply on what appears to us to be a tight timeframe?
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 16:40   #33

Boat: Niagara 35 Encore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingnut40 View Post
Following ....... good to know where the locals are!
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I'm looking at a Niagara Encore tomorrow, near Toronto. We'll see what unfolds...
Old 09-11-2019, 16:53   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
We are in a similar position, looking for our first boat for Lake Superior for now, with firm plans to head south in 5 years. Does the advice of getting a smaller cheaper boat now still apply on what appears to us to be a tight timeframe?

Hi Steffan- It think there's good advice posted above, from experienced sailors, that advise getting a smaller, cheaper boat first to gain experience, and minimize investment, hopefully enabling you to make a more informed choice when buying a boat to head south on.
This is a very helpful and supportive community!

Good luck with your search!
Old 10-11-2019, 05:55   #35

Hey Lisa,

I'm shopping for something a bit more adventurous.
After 4 boats, all older plastic, I have decided that my "go anywhere" boat will be built of aluminum. I'm not looking to keep doing the "incremental upgrade" thing forever.
I'm looking for an Alubat Ovni 36 or similar.

This one got away......$69K with new engine and a bunch of other stuff.
Interesting that it's STILL on sailboatlistings.com 6 months after it's gone...... Hummmm????

Dennis
Old 13-11-2019, 16:12   #36

Hi Dennis,

I'm not familiar with the Alubat Ovni. She looks quite nice. It sounds like you're prepared to travel to Europe or beyond to find the boat you want. Good for you! Let me know how your search for an aluminum boat goes. Best of luck!

I've heard that about sailboatlistings. People don't pull their ads down
Old 13-11-2019, 16:16   #37

Take a cold shower for 2 hours --then run around outside in the wind.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 21:30   #38

I am also thinking of buying my first boat. I got useful information in this thread comment.
Old 15-11-2019, 06:47   #39

Hi Lisa. It’s pretty straightforward...go with the cheaper boat so you can sail now. Gain experience. Refine later. Refitting boats always seems to cost more than expected so don’t get something you can barely afford, and not be able to fix it up later to your needs and satisfaction.

I’m in Ottawa and used to sail my Alberg30 out of Toronto. If you ever need crew...

Jacques
Tharsheblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 07:11   #40

Boat: CT47 Ketch

Buy books. They are cheaper than buying boats. Then buy the smallest boat that can fit your smallest dream, and use it as a stepping stone to learn what you need to learn about boat maintenance and operation.

A good general reference manual is BOATWATCH (a master guide to sailboats of the world). It comes in three languages (front cover and preface - introduction only) line drawings and various detail specifications of multiple thousands of sailboats. It is pretty hard to find a sailboat where more than 100 were built, not in the book.

I owned a sailing club, and it took me 5 years to finally pick out the retirement boat. Good luck.
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 07:17   #41

I would definitely wait it sounds like you have time
Tachiao34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 07:22   #42

Boat: Tartan 34c

Lisa -

I would highly recommend getting your hands on this book - it contains very sound advice.

https://www.amazon.com/Sensible-Crui.../dp/0877422885

The author is Don Casey. I wish I had read it before I bought a used PSC31 (great boat, you might want to check it out) as my first keel boat. I would have been much better off with an older less expensive boat.

Don't discount sailing on the Great Lakes - plenty to learn. You will also find that conditions change very rapidly due to continental weather (thunderstorms), so you will learn to read weather conditions very well.

For a well made, good sailing, inexpensive boat check out the Tartan 34 C, made in Ohio from 1968 to 1974. A long run. They are centerboards, so would be perfect for cruising Florida / Bahamas. They sail pretty well - with a PHRF rating of 180 - and they go to weather better than a PSC31. I know, because I own one now sailing out of the Chicago area.

Good luck with your adventure!
blcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 07:52   #43

Boat: Trintella 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVKaruna View Post
I will give a brief overview of my situation. I live in Kingston, ON. I've been researching Water boats">blue water boats for about 4 years. My dream is to sail in the ocean, to distant shores. At the moment, I'm committed to family which means sailing on Lake Ontario. There is more variety, and some well equipped cruising boats, on the Eastern seaboard of the U.S. Ideally, I will buy a boat on Lake Ontario. Pacific Seacraft 34 and Niagara Mark 35 are top contenders currently for sale in the area. I vacillate between keep it simple and within budget (Niagara '79)and get the boat you really want and not as old (PSC '90 $20,000.00 over budget). Of course both would involve investing in offshore gear. Third option is to be patient and wait for other types of blue water boats to enter the market.
Thanks in advance to any words of wisdom you may impart!

Lisa
Read Morgan’s Cloud website
“Attainable adventure Cruising”
To help crystallize your thoughts.
https://www.morganscloud.com

Best wishes
Charles
Charles S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 07:56   #44

I agree with getting the cheap boat and go ! My dream is to sail the oceans someday, it may or may not ever come to light.
But I just bought an 84 catalina 30, (10K) that I keep on lake michigan and the few months I got to sail this summer, I have had a blast and have learned quite a bit already !
Good luck to you.
Arsydian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 08:00   #45

Lisa,
If you need "book smarts" I have a library of maybe 50 books and 200 magazines to choose from....... ;-D
Dennis

Tags
boat, buying