Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 12:57   #16

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42
Re: Buying my first boat- exhilarating and agonizing!

Happy hunting first of all. Looking at boats is always enjoyable - sometimes more so than actually owning one. It's usually cheaper.

You mention family but don't talk about where your wife and kids are in relation to this plan. Are they keen about sailing? What sorts of creature comforts does your wife want - what does she consider important? Does a suitable boat for the two of you work when you factor the kids in - does it have enough room? My wife's priorities were a bit different than mine, but meeting hers made her much more enthusiastic about owning the boat (and by definition the $$$ to be spent on it).

The best plans are continually evaluated and can change over time. You may find that after a few years of ownership. Get something that everyone can enjoy now and see how your plan looks in a few years when you're actually in a position to do some blue water cruising.
desodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 13:26   #17

Boat: Niagara 35 Encore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
This is a global forum. I've seen posts from New Zealand, Australia, all over Europe and the USA, and even Asia. And here is a post from Kingston ON...my home town. What a small world it really is!!!

Even more to my amazement, is that I am in the same situation. I'm looking for my next boat. Not sure if I should get a solid old boat (for cheap) to have fun on Lake Ontario until my kids go off to college or get that blue water boat now, and start getting ready.

FWIW, I've decided to get something for Lake Ontario. Cheap-ish. You never know what the future holds, and there will always be more boats for sale when I'm actually ready to head south.

If SVKaruna would like to PM me, I've been looking at boats all summer and would be happy to share info.

For those of you still reading this far, here is the boat I'm seriously considering for Lake Ontario: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1451599048

AND here is the boat more suited to heading south: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1461696951

Notice a HUGE difference in price.

And this one keeps haunting me, because its a good solid boat at a great price: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1435085495

And finally, this legendary local C&C41 is for sale for around $20,000 (cdn), located at KYC: https://www.harrisellis.com/Listings...searchtype=buy

So many boats...so hard to choose....

It is a small world. I'm glad I posted. I moved to Kingston a year ago this last August. I haven't met any sailors yet! I'll PM you shortly.
Old 04-11-2019, 13:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
Happy hunting first of all. Looking at boats is always enjoyable - sometimes more so than actually owning one. It's usually cheaper.

You mention family but don't talk about where your wife and kids are in relation to this plan. Are they keen about sailing? What sorts of creature comforts does your wife want - what does she consider important? Does a suitable boat for the two of you work when you factor the kids in - does it have enough room? My wife's priorities were a bit different than mine, but meeting hers made her much more enthusiastic about owning the boat (and by definition the $$$ to be spent on it).

The best plans are continually evaluated and can change over time. You may find that after a few years of ownership. Get something that everyone can enjoy now and see how your plan looks in a few years when you're actually in a position to do some blue water cruising.

Hi Desodave- I'm a single woman who's looking to buy a boat! At the moment I'm planning to sail single handed. My 20 year old son will join me in the summer, but I will be the captain and make all the decisions. It's my mother to whom I'm committed to supporting. Her health is declining. I'm also working part time. I really don't know when my future ocean voyaging plans will materialize. My immediate goal is to be sailing on Lake Ontario by next spring, as soon as it warms up.

"The best plans are continually evaluated and can change over time. You may find that after a few years of ownership. Get something that everyone can enjoy now and see how your plan looks in a few years when you're actually in a position to do some blue water cruising."

I think you're absolutely right. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2019, 14:11   #19

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

"I'm a single woman who's looking to buy a boat! "

Apologies for the gender assumption and stereo-typing. Enjoy Lake Ontario
desodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 19:00   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVKaruna View Post
Hi Desodave- I'm a single woman who's looking to buy a boat! At the moment I'm planning to sail single handed. My 20 year old son will join me in the summer, but I will be the captain and make all the decisions. It's my mother to whom I'm committed to supporting. Her health is declining. I'm also working part time. I really don't know when my future ocean voyaging plans will materialize. My immediate goal is to be sailing on Lake Ontario by next spring, as soon as it warms up.

"The best plans are continually evaluated and can change over time. You may find that after a few years of ownership. Get something that everyone can enjoy now and see how your plan looks in a few years when you're actually in a position to do some blue water cruising."

I think you're absolutely right. Thank you!

Buy an inexpensive decent smaller boat that you will enjoy sailing on the lake with, do not go buy your ocean sailing dream boat yet, it will hopefully be a few years before you get to go, and in the meantime try to save as much money as possible to one day buy what you want, but even if you could afford it now, it’s going to cost a lot of money to keep up for a few years, and that inexpensive decent boat, you may can sell in a few years for close to what you paid, older boats are pretty much depreciated out, and at some point their value is more a function of condition over age.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 19:17   #21

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Hi Desodave- I'm a single woman who's looking to buy a boat! At the moment I'm planning to sail single handed. My 20 year old son will join me in the summer, but I will be the captain and make all the decisions.!
Don’t be surprised when your 20 y o has a significant other ( or just wants to hang with friends) and no longer spends much time sailing with you.
Buy a boat you can easily single hand while you are learning.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:06   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Don’t be surprised when your 20 y o has a significant other ( or just wants to hang with friends) and no longer spends much time sailing with you.
Or worse...they buy their own boat!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:45   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Buy an inexpensive decent smaller boat that you will enjoy sailing on the lake with...
I had a really awesome Hunter Legend 35.5. I sold it when my babies were born, for the usual reasons. I intended to get another awesome boat when my kids were old enough to sail (and actually enjoy it, not just be swaddled cargo).

But a sailor without a boat is like a cowboy without a horse. So I bought a little C&C25 so I could go sailing, while waiting to buy my next "big" sailboat.

To my happy surprise, a smaller boat was perfect for a small family. We had many great adventures...it was perfect for local sailing here in Kingston and all over Lake Ontario.

But kids grow, as they often do, and eventually it was time for a bigger boat. I bought a Pearson 30, which was awesome. But by then my kids had interests of their own, and I was sailing alone most of the time, so sold that boat too.

Now I'm looking to buy again. Hoping to get something nice enough to entice my kids (who are adults now, I suppose, though doesn't seem possible) to sail with me again, but I accept that most of my sailing will be solo.

The moral of this story is....it doesn't really matter what size boat you buy...just go sailing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	portside.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	202683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail-DAVE.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	202684  

Name:	First overnight sail June 6 039.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	202685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5039.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	202686  

Name:	Compromise 061.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	202687  
Old 05-11-2019, 07:53   #24

Hi, have you visited these boats? If not, please do, that will help your decision immensely.
And try to visit as many boats as you can even ones that you are not interested in. I looked at the links, I loved the C & C, especially the picture of it in those crazy seas, very inspiring. Ive been on a Pearson 32, and the cabin top is surprisingly low. Obviously a newer boat should have less issues. Every boat will be a compromise. But the boat you buy should show that it has been loved and cared for.
ERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:47   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Buy an inexpensive decent smaller boat that you will enjoy sailing on the lake with, do not go buy your ocean sailing dream boat yet, it will hopefully be a few years before you get to go, and in the meantime try to save as much money as possible to one day buy what you want, but even if you could afford it now, it’s going to cost a lot of money to keep up for a few years, and that inexpensive decent boat, you may can sell in a few years for close to what you paid, older boats are pretty much depreciated out, and at some point their value is more a function of condition over age.

Yes. I'm paying careful attention to what has been replaced (engine, rigging, decks) and if it's been lightly sailed in fresh water by a couple of owners, rather than what equipment it's missing.
This discussion is clarifying the process of what buying an older boat now to sail on Lake Ontario looks like. Then purchasing, hopefully, a newer blue water boat when the time is right and I have some sailing/boat maintenance experience. So many things can happen in between to change my view on sailing, which sv will best serve me, etc.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:53   #26

Quote:
I had a really awesome Hunter Legend 35.5. I sold it when my babies were born, for the usual reasons. I intended to get another awesome boat when my kids were old enough to sail (and actually enjoy it, not just be swaddled cargo).

But a sailor without a boat is like a cowboy without a horse. So I bought a little C&C25 so I could go sailing, while waiting to buy my next "big" sailboat.

To my happy surprise, a smaller boat was perfect for a small family. We had many great adventures...it was perfect for local sailing here in Kingston and all over Lake Ontario.

But kids grow, as they often do, and eventually it was time for a bigger boat. I bought a Pearson 30, which was awesome. But by then my kids had interests of their own, and I was sailing alone most of the time, so sold that boat too.

Now I'm looking to buy again. Hoping to get something nice enough to entice my kids (who are adults now, I suppose, though doesn't seem possible) to sail with me again, but I accept that most of my sailing will be solo.

The moral of this story is....it doesn't really matter what size boat you buy...just go sailing.

"Go small, go simple, go now" Lin Pardey
Old 05-11-2019, 10:30   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I will give a brief overview of my situation. I live in Kingston, ON. I've been researching blue water boats for about 4 years. My dream is to sail in the ocean, to distant shores. At the moment, I'm committed to family which means sailing on Lake Ontario. There is more variety, and some well equipped cruising boats, on the Eastern seaboard of the U.S. Ideally, I will buy a boat on Lake Ontario. Pacific Seacraft 34 and Niagara Mark 35 are top contenders currently for sale in the area. I vacillate between keep it simple and within budget (Niagara '79)and get the boat you really want and not as old (PSC '90 $20,000.00 over budget). Of course both would involve investing in offshore gear. Third option is to be patient and wait for other types of blue water boats to enter the market.
Thanks in advance to any words of wisdom you may impart!

Lisa
Ahhh, I love it when I hear people showing passion for sailing the ocean and those distant shores!

As Tillsbury already said, focus on just buying the cheaper boat right away, don't focus on choosing the perfect ones and as you sail more and more, later without kids by that point you'll have already created a taste of it and will know so much more about it. Quite soon you'll lose the emotional and romantic aspect to it as well, so don't worry too much about it.

Enjoy sailing!
Cheers.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:55   #28

SVKaruna, if you are going to look at any local boats, I'd be eager to come along (or meet you at the boat). An extra set of eyes couldn't hurt. Its too cold to go sailing, but talking about sailboats/sailing is a good way to get through the winter!

I've seen the local marinas and clubs hauling out over the last few weeks. At this time of year, I'm not unhappy that I don't currently own a boat...its a lot of work/money and no sailing.

Winterizing, cleaning, storing, fixing, PAYING($$$)...owning a boat can be downright unpleasant. The only thing worse than owning a boat is NOT owning a boat.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:42   #29

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RentDubaiYachts View Post
Ahhh, I love it when I hear people showing passion for sailing the ocean and those distant shores!

As Tillsbury already said, focus on just buying the cheaper boat right away, don't focus on choosing the perfect ones and as you sail more and more, later without kids by that point you'll have already created a taste of it and will know so much more about it. Quite soon you'll lose the emotional and romantic aspect to it as well, so don't worry too much about it.

Enjoy sailing!
Cheers.

Thanks! I'm no longer consumed with finding the one perfect offshore cruiser. I don't doubt the romantic aspect of owning and sailing my first boat, will quickly fade once things start breaking. At least I feel capable of making an informed choice in regards to the boat I end up buying.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:47   #30

Quote:
SVKaruna, if you are going to look at any local boats, I'd be eager to come along (or meet you at the boat). An extra set of eyes couldn't hurt. Its too cold to go sailing, but talking about sailboats/sailing is a good way to get through the winter!

I've seen the local marinas and clubs hauling out over the last few weeks. At this time of year, I'm not unhappy that I don't currently own a boat...its a lot of work/money and no sailing.

Winterizing, cleaning, storing, fixing, PAYING($$$)...owning a boat can be downright unpleasant. The only thing worse than owning a boat is NOT owning a boat.

I recently looked at a Niagara 35 Classic. That particular boat wasn't for me. In general, I'm not crazy about the cabin layout.
Sunday I'm planning on looking at a Niagara 35 Encore near Toronto. If the weather cooperates. PM me if you're interested in coming along.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1470128820

Tags
boat, buying