Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2022, 18:51   #16

Boat: St Francis MKII 50'
Re: buying in Florida

If it helps, I was actually on that boat a bit over a year ago in the Bahamas (we were both docked near each other in a marina riding out a storm). It is very nice. The owners took very good care of it and it was very updated and in very nice condition. Knysnas sail well and are very solid boats - very rigid construction, with relatively light weight for a 50' bluewater catamaran. Note also the 28' beam. With that beam and that mast height, this is not for the ICW. Knysnas tend toward more "traditional" styling. So, you're not gonna see modern interior design concepts. But, you will see rich wood and good craftsmanship. And, the storage and extra coolers/fridges make it a good boat to travel on comfortably. Their upgrades are all pretty high end, including Euro and US power inverters, fuel polisher, etc. Nice boat.
catalystcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 20:55   #17

I am looking in Florida because I want to take the boat into the Caribbean and in Jan of 2025 start it on a crossing of the Pacific. I am getting the boat early to shake it out for a few years.
Seattle indeed has numerous boats but not really catamarans.
This will be my first large boat purchase and indeed I am sure I will make alot of snafus. My Partner on the trip, has done the crossing before but he did it in a 35 ft benetau.
I know I would be perfectly happy with several different boats and thus not the end of the world if I do not get this particular one. This boat just happens to tick alot of boxes. Yes there are all kinds of logistical hassles with buying a boat in Florida, but eventually, I will have to jump through that hoop or buy on in the carribean or get a new boat and take delivery on the east coast.
I did reach out to another broker who has a different boat that would meet the specs. Coincidently, he said if I fly out to look at the boat, he will happily arrange that we take it out.
Ideally I would be likely be just as happy taking delivery in the fall or even the following spring. Once I get the boat, the logistical hassles will commence until I retire and am able to spend more time on the boat. But the boat seems to tick pretty much all the boxes.
Any other general advice is greatly appreciated.
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 21:24   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

FWIW, I actually enjoyed buying our boat in Florida. The broker, the contract (standardized contracts) almost feel in my favor instead of for the seller. Yes you do the deposit but I get that as they would be overwhelmed with tire kickers otherwise.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 22:32   #19

If you like the boat and are going to go to Florida to see it , if I was a broker I wouldn’t let you take it out for a spin either anyways , I would try to figure out how to buy it without brokers involved , I do not like Boat brokers and I do not trust Boat surveyors , I trust me and I like to make my own deals so I would take the time or make sure I had the time and walk the docks all over Florida , get some cards made up and leave them on boats you like whether they’re up for sale or not I’ve had great success by just leaving my name and phone number on a boat I liked maybe the person didn’t even know he wanted to sell it I’m quite certain you will find what you need for probably the best price in the US Florida is usually a buyers market
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 02:48   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Paying the 10% would be a deal breaker for me. I don’t care if it’s the norm or a regional issue. If they are killing sales to legit customers to prevent the occasional joy ride they are low on people skills. It’s how the hurricane damage boats in the fleets are sold. Can’t see the boat until you have a non refundable deposit of 10%.
If I’m flying a couple thousand miles I’m a serious buying. Someone wants to put a hook in my decision process I’m walking.
As far taxes go FLA tries crap on Canadian boat purchases.
Good luck. I find a boat elsewhere
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 03:40   #21
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Paying the 10% would be a deal breaker for me. I don’t care if it’s the norm or a regional issue. If they are killing sales to legit customers to prevent the occasional joy ride they are low on people skills. It’s how the hurricane damage boats in the fleets are sold. Can’t see the boat until you have a non refundable deposit of 10%.

If I’m flying a couple thousand miles I’m a serious buying. Someone wants to put a hook in my decision process I’m walking.

The 10% deposit is refundable upon refusal of boat. Make sure in the contract you state your ability to refuse the boat based on visual inspection, survey, sea trial and the ability to get insurance and financing if needed.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 03:41   #22
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
If you like the boat and are going to go to Florida to see it , if I was a broker I wouldn’t let you take it out for a spin either anyways , I would try to figure out how to buy it without brokers involved , I do not like Boat brokers and I do not trust Boat surveyors , I trust me and I like to make my own deals so I would take the time or make sure I had the time and walk the docks all over Florida , get some cards made up and leave them on boats you like whether they’re up for sale or not I’ve had great success by just leaving my name and phone number on a boat I liked maybe the person didn’t even know he wanted to sell it I’m quite certain you will find what you need for probably the best price in the US Florida is usually a buyers market

Pretty sure when it comes to catamarans, Florida is still a very strong sellers market at this point in time.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 04:09   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
If you can’t show 10% of the money, they won’t go ahead because you probably can’t afford it. This is for every broker in the state.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 04:50   #24
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Here is a surveyor for you in Fort Lauderdale:

https://www.marinesurveysbybrizendine.com/

I have used him for 7-8 surveys, rock solid guy and very thorough.
Old 13-06-2022, 05:40   #25

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

OP, sort out insurance before purchase. Not easy -- and/or much more expensive -- to get new insurance for being in FL during the hurricane season. Probably the Caribbean too...

-Chris
Old 13-06-2022, 06:35   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenline View Post
I guess I just find it "strange". When I buy a house, we use a third party escrow. when I buy and sell a Plane, we use third party escrow.
Now when I buy a boat, No third party company?
Actually, it is a third party. It's just a third party that the brokerage has a contract with for holding their deposits. If you follow the link above to the brokerage laws, you will see it is a trust account. That means there is a third party trustee who has to approve of payouts. So, no, the broker cannot just take your money and run.

Quote:
Paying the 10% would be a deal breaker for me... Can’t see the boat until you have a non refundable deposit of 10%.
No, that's not how it works. The deposit is simply "earnest money," just like when you buy a house. It is FULLY refundable, based on the terms of the contract. The normal contract has wording to the effect that the buyer can back out if the survey and sea trial are not "acceptable" to them. Which, translated, means you can back out for any reason at all, and get your full deposit back.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 07:23   #27

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Regarding the Seattle market, I like the Grainger for sale in BC. Otherwise there is not much (cats) to choose from.
Old 13-06-2022, 07:50   #28

Boat: Tayana 47

I can understand the broker wanting a deposit before allowing you to sail it, and it sounds like that’s how it’s done, officially. It protects dishonest owners/buyers from getting together and cutting the broker out of the deal. But it’s a PIA and ties up a significant sum if you don’t end up buying the boat.

But as an owner wanting to sell a boat, I’ve twice taken prospective buyers out for a sail before they even made an offer. Both of them bought the respective boats for within 10% of the listing price. In one instance my broker asked me to do it and reassured me the buyer was earnest, and the second instance I hadn’t heard from the broker for over 2 years (on a one year listing) with no showings, so I put a for sale sign on it and 2 weeks later an owner from a neighboring boat knocked on my hull one day and I agreed to take him for a sail, which soon resulted in a sale! As an owner wanting to sell, and since my boat isn’t far from where I live, I’d be happy to take anyone who sounded like a serious buyer out for a sail. It’s the best marketing ploy possible for them to create a pleasant memory on my boat.

So, if there’s a way to let the owner know you’re seriously interested in his boat enough to fly all the way across the country, you might find him more receptive to taking you out for a sail than the broker is. If that happens I think it’s only fair to the broker who you’ve already spoken with to avoid any discussions about price or any thing about a private deal with the owner.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 08:47   #29

A good faith deposit of earnest money is required for any P&S whether it is a house or a boat. If you were buying a house, you are given the opportunity to view the house. However, if you want to perform a home inspection, you are only given that opportunity after you've presented a signed P&S with that good faith deposit, and get the seller to sign the contract in agreement.

The same applies to a boat. Viewing the boat is one thing. However, 'asking for a ride' is a "Sea Trial" and would typically be a two part process "Survey", then sea trial.

It would be unreasonable to expect to take the boat for a sail before the Deposit and Singed P&S.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 09:47   #30

Should have a recent survey I would think.
And why..10% and a signed agreement?
You're testing the boat for Pete's sake.
Take it out for a few hours....doesn't appeal to you. No sale.
Many of us have tested a vessel before buying....sans deposit.
I wouldn't trust her or any broker.
After testing the vessel....and you decline....when do you get your deposit back...immediately I would think.
Seller wants to sell...now you have a go between who wants a cut....
Well then...that go between should go out with you I would think.
Litterally thousands of vessels for sale....NO go between. Seen many 80/90/140 foot sail boats for sale....no go between. Just my .2 and it means diddly squat.
benica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, florida