Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 10:50   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Buy a "new" old boat or an "old" old boat??

I think its simple, assuming we are talking identical quality of boat, just age being the difference, then you buy the one that is in better shape, better equipped, or best deal.
Age it seems isn't as much a factor as it may seem, once you get beyond 10 years or so, I've seen four year old boats I wouldn't have, as we all have I'm sure, and I've seen 40 yr old boats that were literally in better condition than they were new, and out of my price range I might add.

On edit I can tell you refitting yourself will cost way more than buying one that has been refit as you don't get back, what you put in, but installing it yourself, then you know where all the circuits are, how it was done, what it was sealed with etc.

I chose to buy an older, but basic as in no equipment boat, and I'm spending more than I would have on a "turn key" boat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:21   #17

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

As usual a lot of good advice here, but Muckle Flugga has distilled it down to the basics.

There is no such thing as a "refit" that will address every issue long term. Before the boat goes back into the water new maintenance needs develop. It is an ongoing program of daily routine and upgrades etc. ALL boats need work, and as has been mentioned what is new ten years ago is not new today. Location, the amount of use, the materials used in construction, the quality of workmanship, the quality of gear...

How old the boat is or what she has done in the past is not relevant...what she is capable of doing in the future is the issue. Good solid hull/deck, rig, power, is the foundation. Set value from that point onward.

Value is relative...some owners are desperate to sell, some are not. Brokers are in the business of making money, i.e. separating you from yours. Consider a private sale and deal directly with the current owner. You will get a much better feel of how the boat was maintained and used.

Save yourself a heap of heartache and don't approach it with the "I've got this much to spend" attitude. Shop boats that are WELL within your budget and realize that outfitting the boat with gear that will meet your needs is important and will save untold $thousands.

Oh, and one last thought...I have spent many years repairing, restoring, and maintaining classic wood boats, and while I personally would never even consider anything else, unless you are a master craftsman stay with more modern construction methods. The costs of paying for shop maintenance of wood is staggering.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:26   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Geeeezzzzzz we just had this thread last week.

Please believe me that its still current somewhere, just do a search.

I made posts to that last one. I won't to this one just one week later.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 13:10   #19

Boat: Nordic 44

Well look at the price points. There are a good number of boats from $130-160k in the 40-44' range that are late 80s mid 90s vintage. Find one with good lineage and sailing character. But don't buy one that needs everything. The serious expenses $ are hull, engine, standing rigging and sails. A repowered boat with an engine with less than 1,000 hrs will save you $25,000. (Including new transmission). If the hull has new paint
Within 10 years great. Rigging and sails can last 15 years if the boat is only in the water 6 months a year and it has not seen heavy ocean work. An electronic refurb with mfd, auto pilot, ais radio, new wind and depth guages , inverter/charger and a few smaller items will run 30-32k installed at $100 per hour. Then you have the small stuff $1000 here $500 there assuming you do some of the work or hire it out. So what's your appetite for fooling around with repairs? What Is your personal standard, bristol or fix it when it breaks? Are you patient? Do you have access to good and trustworthy marine repair people? Or do you want to hop aboard and entertain family and friends with confidence? And do you mind spending more on your boat than she might be worth when you sell? It's not an easy decision based just on money. Its about your level of ability and love of the hobby and a particular boat.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitlaw View Post
And do you mind spending more on your boat than she might be worth when you sell?

Isn't that ALL boats?

Unless someone refurbs a boat and sells it to you immediately, it seems they are all holes in the water into which you throw your money. Even one that was refurbed 10 or 15 years ago is ready for some loving.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 14:34   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You really have to state which "boat." I happen to have a soft spot for a Pearson Rhodes 41. Good old boat, well-built, with a good engine and newer rigging and sails, could be great, IN MY OPINION. And that's just one opinion for one boat. And they can be found in good shape for considerably less than $100K Now, Valiant 40, Pearson 365, Peterson 44, Freya 39, Downeast 38, (just to name a few other possibilities!) each has its own issues and costs etc, etc. Easier I think if you sort out your personal preferences in a boat and start from there. If you want to know if there are good old boats out there that could still make great cruisers for 100K, I'd say absolutely, yes.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 15:26   #22

I know the yacht message boards is not a place to get into class warfare, but your theoretical situation - you've got $250K as a working budget - absolutely boggles my mind.

If you've got that much, the only limitation honestly is how ostentatious you want to be - you can find plenty of great cruising boats up to 40 feet that have been extensively redone for under $100K.

In fact, you can find plenty of 40 foot boats, not redone but with some upgrades along the way, certainly in very nice shape, for about $50K - and remember, the asking prices for boats now is nowhere near the actual selling prices- go look at some boats that suit your taste, and are above average shape, above average price - and follow them, to see if they sell in six months - not many seem to.

But, overall the answer to your question IMHO is buy a depreciated boat that is actually in better than new condition with lots of little used upgrades.
boatbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 15:38   #23
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

If I had a quarter of a mil to play with, I suppose Id buy a 50,000 boat, spend another 50 Large on a total refit and blow the remaining 150K on rumrunners and conch fritters.
But that's just me.
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 15:48   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
If I had a quarter of a mil to play with, I suppose Id buy a 50,000 boat, spend another 50 Large on a total refit and blow the remaining 150K on rumrunners and conch fritters.
But that's just me.
Spoken like a true pirate.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:24   #25

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Geeeezzzzzz we just had this thread last week.

Please believe me that its still current somewhere, just do a search.

I made posts to that last one. I won't to this one just one week later.

But in saying that, you just did........
Old 06-01-2016, 00:09   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I have a 44' steel Bruce Roberts that I have been working on for 3 years. Can refurbish for a lot less than you have in mind. Contact me if you are interested. I could manage refit. Very well made. 1978. One of a kind. I ran out of money.

When working on a boat if you think it will take you a day, it will take you a week. If you think it will take you a week, it will take a month. If you think it will take you a month, it will take you a year.

Good luck
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:35   #27

Thanks all for your thoughtful comments.
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:55   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buy a "new" old boat or an "old" old boat??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp1234 View Post
Here's my hypothetical (and I'll admit somewhat simplistic) scenario. You're looking for a strong coastal or blue water cruiser, 38 ft.- 40 ft. You've done your homework and have identified that proverbial well crafted and "well found" boat. You have a working budget of $250K. Not enough to get a new (or nearly new boat). So the first option is to get a 15 - 20 yr. old boat for $200K, leaving $50K for refits. Second option is get a 25 - 30 yr. old boat for $100K,leaving $150K for the refit. Anyone care to lay out the issues along with the pros and cons for each option? All things considered which approach is better? TIA
I'd stick to the $150K and head for Greece..
Beneteau Oceanis 42 CC boat for sale
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3 For Sale

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 23:00   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
She's the first of the original Bristol cutter police boat still considered the fastest sail boats on the sea.
By whom???

Jim
Old 08-01-2016, 01:12   #30

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

For under a $100k you can get a running world cruising sail boat. Gee, just look around. Get what suits. With that amount of money you have lots of options.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote