Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2022, 04:36   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Butyl Tape Sources - Alternative to Bed-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ricky View Post
Used extensively in recreational vehicles. Just go to any RV store. Often a variety of colours and sizes, often at half the price of a marine chandlery.

As usual...!

Remember, not good on any fitting that can rotate, like some thruhulls. Also do not expect final tightness immediately, but to re-tighten after a few days. Great stuff.

Cheers, R.
Before I started using Bed-It tape I bought several rolls from the local RV shop. They had black, white and gray. I used the black and white in a couple of places where I thought it would look better but within a couple of years had to remove and rebed all of these. The black and the white both dried out, hardened and crumbled, including the remaining rolls I had stored below.

I went back to the store and managed to find an old timer who confirmed they all worked like that. They only sold the black and white because customers insisted for cosmetic reasons but he said they are all crap and only the gray, which cost more than double, was any good.

After several years I can confirm that the Bed-It Tape from Compass Marine is standing up much better than the RV stuff although the gray RV is acceptable.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:40   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
That is very sad to hear. The issue isn't where you can buy butyl tape, it's everywhere. The issue is where you can buy high quality butyl tape. I haven't found another brand that comes close to bed-it's quality.
I've only compared one other gray butyl to Bed-It and after a few years the Bed-It was the clear winner. Bed-It remains as flexible and as sticky as the day I installed it. The RV brand isn't bad but there is some surface deterioration compared to the Bed-It.

Would be very interested to hear comparisons between Bed-It and another source.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:44   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
It’s all exactly the same.

Yes, it may vary slightly in texture and appearance, but once you put any of it between some things you are tightening together with fasteners, it all squishes out and it all becomes fully waterproof for eternity.

There is no difference except the one you’re making up in your mind about preferring one texture over another.

All the textures do the same thing. They squeeze between things being tightened by fasteners and keep water out for decades, if not forever.

Even old, crusty, contaminated butyl scraps you balled together after cutting it from the edges of a previous project that is half dried out work just fine.

It’s truly remarkable, yet simple stuff.
My experience not all of it is the same nor usable. I bedded the steering pedestal with white RV store butyl and within two years the butyl had failed and was leaking. Rebedded with Bed-It tape and 5 years and a few thousand miles it has not leaked a drop.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:15   #19

Boat: Pearson 10M

I have to agree that Bed it is better than RV store Butyl tape.
In the distant pass I used a thick rubber tape to install a windshield in my car, I wonder if that was butyl rubber also. It was very sticky and long lasting.
One of the problems with buying Bed-it tape was that you had to buy at least two rolls in that always seemed expensive for the immediate need.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:52   #20

Boat: Quickstep 24

[QUOTE=Chotu;3547610]It’s all exactly the same.

I find this comment sadly untrue at best.

They are not all the same -- practically no sealant is "the same" as all the others. I'd be a lot more circumspect before using a superlative like "ALL THE SAME".

If some manufacturers can find a market for a poor version for less, they will make it. Depend on it.
RiverRat37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:12   #21

Boat: Southern Ocean 80

Great advice regarding not using below water line
Old 02-01-2022, 09:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
It’s all exactly the same.

Wrong.

From Maine Sail's website:

SITE PLUG: After this article was published, we were forced to develop a marine specific butyl based hybrid elastomeric sealant that was specifically formulated and tested for marine use. The product is called Bed-It Tape and can be found in the; Marine How To Web Store. Hamilton Marine and Marine Outfitters in Canada are also distributors of Bed-It Tape. Sales of Bed-It Tape directly fund this site and keep it free. Please understand that despite our use of the word “butyl” Bed-It Tape is not a standard “butyl-tape”. Bed-It Tape is a hybrid product utilizing Compass Marine Inc. own proprietary formulation.

Since Rod's stroke in September last year, his store isn't operating on his marinehowto website, where there used to be a longer description of how he developed his proprietary Bed It tape.

I bought two rolls from him years ago, halfway through the second roll. Great stuff.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:38   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Wrong.

From Maine Sail's website:

SITE PLUG: After this article was published, we were forced to develop a marine specific butyl based hybrid elastomeric sealant that was specifically formulated and tested for marine use. The product is called Bed-It Tape and can be found in the; Marine How To Web Store. Hamilton Marine and Marine Outfitters in Canada are also distributors of Bed-It Tape. Sales of Bed-It Tape directly fund this site and keep it free. Please understand that despite our use of the word “butyl” Bed-It Tape is not a standard “butyl-tape”. Bed-It Tape is a hybrid product utilizing Compass Marine Inc. own proprietary formulation.

Since Rod's stroke in September last year, his store isn't operating on his marinehowto website, where there used to be a longer description of how he developed his proprietary Bed It tape.

I bought two rolls from him years ago, halfway through the second roll. Great stuff.
Hi Stu,

Thank you very much for posting this. Did not know you could get Bed-It tape from Hamilton Marine.

i am down to less than a roll from my purchase a few years ago prior to replacing all my plastic ports with SS from New Found Metals. Have two ports left to go and don't have quite enough for the job.

By the way, heard any news or updates on Rod's condition?
Old 02-01-2022, 09:55   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
The product is called Bed-It Tape and can be found in the; Marine How To Web Store. Hamilton Marine and Marine Outfitters in Canada are also distributors of Bed-It Tape. Sales of Bed-It Tape directly fund this site and keep it free. Please understand that despite our use of the word “butyl” Bed-It Tape is not a standard “butyl-tape”. Bed-It Tape is a hybrid product utilizing Compass Marine Inc. own proprietary formulation.

Updates. First looked at Compass Marine's website and they now have a photo of Rod apparently out of the hospital and looking not too bad.

https://marinehowto.com/

Looked at Hamilton Marine's web site and could not find Bed-It tape. They're closed so will try to call them tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:15   #25
cruiser

Hola,

I just ordered 4 rolls from Marineoutfitters.com Yes they are Canadian based, and I only wanted/needed 2 rolls but I bought 4 which reduced shipping costs here to the states. Probably will have a lifetime supply for both me and my grandkids, since I still have a roll and a half in my shop, but it is by far and away the best butyl ever tape I have ever used, and I have used many types/styles/shapes/configurations/cobbled together formulations and have yet to find one that works as well as Bed-It. My biggest pet peeve with many of the others I have used, or seen used, is that they “bleed” especially when used in a vertical orientation and subjected to high temps and/or direct sunlight in warm climes. This is of course most noticeable with black butyl against a white gelcoat surface as was the case with our last boat, a Lagoon cat in which all windows had been installed with black butyl and I was engaged in a never ending battle of black streak removal and re-waxing following the use of a lacquer thinner soaked rag, the only thing I found which would completely remove the black stains.

I have no doubt your experiences differ from mine and I am just sharing in hopes that someone might find them useful.

At any rate, their website says they have more than 99 rolls available and I will let you know if they are able to fulfill the order I just placed.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:06   #26

Boat: L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvboats View Post
Hola,

I just ordered 4 rolls from Marineoutfitters.com Yes they are Canadian based, and I only wanted/needed 2 rolls but I bought 4 which reduced shipping costs here to the states. Probably will have a lifetime supply for both me and my grandkids, since I still have a roll and a half in my shop, but it is by far and away the best butyl ever tape I have ever used, and I have used many types/styles/shapes/configurations/cobbled together formulations and have yet to find one that works as well as Bed-It. My biggest pet peeve with many of the others I have used, or seen used, is that they “bleed” especially when used in a vertical orientation and subjected to high temps and/or direct sunlight in warm climes. This is of course most noticeable with black butyl against a white gelcoat surface as was the case with our last boat, a Lagoon cat in which all windows had been installed with black butyl and I was engaged in a never ending battle of black streak removal and re-waxing following the use of a lacquer thinner soaked rag, the only thing I found which would completely remove the black stains.

I have no doubt your experiences differ from mine and I am just sharing in hopes that someone might find them useful.

At any rate, their website says they have more than 99 rolls available and I will let you know if they are able to fulfill the order I just placed.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Don't you mean "Marineoutfitters.ca"
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:15   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
Don't you mean "Marineoutfitters.ca"
Yes, thank you for the correction. My apologies. Either my old brain or my autocorrect has led me astray once again. I am certain this will not be the only mistake I make today as I usually am good for 10-15 in any given 24 hour period.

Follow Steve’s lead to the corrected website if you are in search of Bed-It-Butyl tape.

Thank you and safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 18:04   #28

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
Looking for alternative brands to Bed-it butyl tape as it is no longer available in the p-base store.

What brand/source have you used for butyl tape to good effect?

Thanks in advance.
Butyl tape is widely used in the sealing of electrical cable joints, where it is commonly known as butyl mastic tape

Search Google for "butyl tape electrical"

https://www.hsbutyl.com/building/electrical/
kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:26   #29

Boat: Pearson 10M

I just ordered a roll from Xfasten. I have new ports to install this spring.

https://xfasten.com/products/xfasten...ec602d38&_ss=r
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:07   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
Looking for alternative brands to Bed-it butyl tape as it is no longer available in the p-base store.

What brand/source have you used for butyl tape to good effect?

Thanks in advance.
Hi
I had leaky windows for a long time and used a 3M product and machine screws on 1/2 inch poly carbon
Becarefull when you drill through the tape it may wrap around you bit
Anyways not one drop of water ever since
Had to buy a full roll around $250 there is an expiry on this material so check it out as well
Good luck
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed