Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2023, 07:31   #1

Boat: Pearson 323
Building an Opti with my grandson

I'm retired and have been sailing for 60 years. In June my 8-year-old grandson took a sailing class and loved it. Which made me very happy, as I'm the only sailor in generations of boaters in my family.

I built my first sailboat when I was in my early 20, and I want to teach my grandson how to build his first boat before I can't anymore. His classes were taught in an Opti and I found plans for an Opti online. The design is based on 3 sheets of marine plywood which I can cut on my CNC router.

Used Opti's are available for $500 to $1000, but buying it will not teach him anything about marine/boat construction or how the parts of a boat go together. Building my first boat is an education that has never left me.

We start construction on Monday, July 24 and Iíve allotted 1 1/2 to 2 months for completion, working 3 hours a day, 3 days a week (grandson's work schedule). Iím looking ahead and know that I'll need to locate the mast-boom-sprit, and a sail. If anyone has parts left over from their own build or from an Opti no longer in use please let me know. I'm in New Bern, NC
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 08:45   #2

Boat: X442
Re: Building an Opti with my grandson

Lucky grandson! And luck you too! I have no Opti parts to offer but am looking forward to occasionally hearing about progress. Good luck!
HeinSdL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 08:47   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Very cool!
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 09:01   #4

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Very nice. I would recommend Racelite for small boat hardware.

https://www.racelitehardware.com/
Old 23-07-2023, 09:14   #5

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Great!
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 11:08   #6

Boat: Cabo Rico NE 400

I'm probably a bit older than you and have been sailing/boating for about 70 years, but do not have any grand children. I built my first dinghy a MIRROR ... red sails and all, having previously built my own kayak (fabric on stringers). I recommend you let your grandson do as much of the work as he can (and you will allow!) he will never forget it. Best of luck with the build.
Chanticleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 11:21   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Opti? Surely they must be talking about the Optimist class?!

Yes, like Chanticleer my first boat was a Mirror Dinghy (winner of Daily Mirror contest), built as stitch and glue.

I even have a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4302.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	278544  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 14:43   #8

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Great bonding movement. But build two, one for him and one for you, so you can both enjoy sailing together. Opti's aren't very physical and at our age, getting in and out at a dock is usually the most difficult thing. Check out the websites for Sailorman in Florida and Minney's in California. Parts and sails occasionally come available for them.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 18:33   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

Optis are not really big enough for adults. The weight of an adult lowers the freeboard enough to make capsizing or swamping much easier. We had a friend who built an Opti with his son. It was great for initial learning, but there were hurdles racing it because of the class measurement rules.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 18:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Optis are not really big enough for adults. The weight of an adult lowers the freeboard enough to make capsizing or swamping much easier. We had a friend who built an Opti with his son. It was great for initial learning, but there were hurdles racing it because of the class measurement rules.

Grandpa wonít be sailing in the Opti, Iíll be out in the inflatable if he needs me. He sailed solo in sailing camp. He is a small 8 and I figure heíll fit into it until 14 to 16. Then he also has 2 younger sisters, so Iím hoping the boat will be well utilized for many years to come. A class boat is only needed for racing, itís being built to class specifications if the need ever arises.
Old 24-07-2023, 20:28   #11

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

How about some pics as the build progresses for those of us whose sailing started at a young age in that type of boat. I have almost 70 years behind me, began with a plywood pram, a Clark Craft kit, when I was 6.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 23:39   #12

Boat: TES 246 Versus
Send a message via Skype™ to Tedd

Great idea, enjoy the project.

I'm interested in what kind of CNC router you have as I'd like to get one for my shop.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 05:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
How about some pics as the build progresses for those of us whose sailing started at a young age in that type of boat. I have almost 70 years behind me, began with a plywood pram, a Clark Craft kit, when I was 6.
Day One; we routed out the hull frame 3/4" ply, cross members from 2 x 4, dado each member, and assembled the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230724_120528.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	471.9 KB
ID:	278677  
Old 25-07-2023, 05:38   #14

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Love the puzzle joints! I did something similar to use a 24"/60cm router to make templates for a 96" /2.44 meter boat.
Old 25-07-2023, 08:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Great idea, enjoy the project.

I'm interested in what kind of CNC router you have as I'd like to get one for my shop.
I'm an engineer and owned an electronics production business for 49 years. I designed my own CNC in early 2000, but my production requirement didn't allow me to take the time needed to build it. It was stuck in my head for 10+ years, after retirement and during Covid I built it. My shop doesn't have the room for a larger CNC. The bed size on mine is 32" (Y) x 44" (X) x 7" (Z), I can cut all the parts for the Opti except the floor, it's just too wide. I've got a friend who has a full sheet machine and he is going to cut the floor for me.