Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 13:08   #1

Boat: 1975 Halberg Rassey Monsun 31
Bugs/Spiders

Anyone out there have any suggestions for clearing the living space of bugs/spiders? Is there a "bug-bomb" that anyone could recommend?
Giligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 17:56   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Bugs/Spiders

Just about any off the shelf bug bomb will be short-lived enough to fix the symptoms rather than provide a cure. Spiders are there because they have a good food source (the bugs). The bugs are likely there because there's also food and moisture. If you see bebbees, then that's a good sign you're sustaining a healthy population. Get rid of the food and you'll generally get rid of the problem unless you need screens on the hatches for when the big'uns just wonder in. In that case, bug bombs would just be overkill.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 18:11   #3

We have 2 passenger geckos onboard outside. Found them after our first day at sea. We just leave them alone, they hide most of the time and do there work at night. Our exterior bugs and spiders have pretty much been cleaned out. Bug bombs do work for a while.Best advice is keep food and water away but that's a longer route.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:14   #4

Just to emphasize what gamayun said, spiders eat other bugs. If you have spiders, it is because you have other bugs. Focus on getting rid of the other bugs, by getting rid of their food source, and the spiders will leave on their own.

Too many people have a "thing" about spiders, and so they focus on trying to get rid of the spiders first. Complete waste of time. As long as the other bugs are there, the spiders are going to come back. And soon.

Besides that, there are 3,000 different species of spiders in North America. Exactly two of them represent any danger to humans. Those being the black widow and the brown recluse. Every other species of spider in North America can do you no more harm than an ant bite would.

Good luck getting rid of your bugs.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:47   #5

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Never had a problem with spiders- they aren't really that much of a pest.

As far as bugs go, the one time I had a roach problem on my old boat, I used a recipe I found somewhere for boric acid "cookies" that you bake in the oven. Basically a mixture of boric acid and sugar to make these little puck shaped cookies that I scattered throughout the boat's cabinets. Worked great.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:52   #6

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

This seemed to work for us.
We docked in an area where there are heaps of bugs attracted to light reflecting off the white fiberglass at night. In the day most of them clear off. The spiders however set their web to catch the bugs and usually in places where humans walk and cop a face full of web and sometimes large ugly spiders are running over your head and down your back. We sprayed spider insecticide over all the mooring lines and the electric and water hose, fenders, this worked quite well. Also when the boat is on the hard, spray all the support posts and bottom of keel - worked very well.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:32   #7

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Never had a problem with spiders- they aren't really that much of a pest.

As far as bugs go, the one time I had a roach problem on my old boat, I used a recipe I found somewhere for boric acid "cookies" that you bake in the oven. Basically a mixture of boric acid and sugar to make these little puck shaped cookies that I scattered throughout the boat's cabinets. Worked great.
Mix it with mashed potatoes. A bit easier and just asd effective.

Or get a skink, more colorful.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:22   #8

Boat: Watkins 27

Giligan,

I bought a liquid/gel ant killer. A few dabs on some 1" x 1" cardboard that I set along the ants "route". After a day, I observed the ants feeding on the gel. They took the gel back to their nest and about a week later no more ants. I would refresh the gel with a few drops daily. I cannot remember the name, but it was a few dollars at True Value Hardware. Good luck, be safe!
DaLuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:42   #9

Boat: Nauticat 43

Terro Ant Killer. Available at Home Depot, too.