Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 08:17   #1

Boat: Seal 22, 22 feet LOA
Bucket List

Hi,

I just wondered whether any of the members on here have made a "Bucket List" .

Basically for those who are not familiar with the term a "Bucket List" is a list of things that you would endeavour to do should you be informed that you have specified length of time left to live, possibly due to a serious illness i.e kick the bucket.

The list could be a mental one comprising of one thing that you feel you must achieve or a written list of several things.

I only have one thing on my list and that is to borrow as much money as I can, only in my name, buy the best boat I can and continue to sail around the world until I either kicked that bucket "hopefully in mid atlantic or Pacific" (NO I would not expect or want anyone to rescue me, why would I I'm dying for God' sake?) There will be a note to anyone finding me that they can keep the boat and all it's contents, and would they please bury me at sea.

I estimate with current illnesses that I have approximately five years (if I'm lucky) in which to achieve this.
Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: "Bucket List"

I can assure you that despite knowing I will die someday I don't include stealing money on any of my lists. Knowing the time frame for my death was in someway shortened wouldn't change that.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:13   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I can assure you that despite knowing I will die someday I don't include stealing money on any of my lists. Knowing the time frame for my death was in someway shortened wouldn't change that.

Hmmm!!

I presumed he would get a legal loan, and document that the new owner would assume its repayment. But I could be wrong.

Edit
Oops-on re-reading I see "in my name"
Old 05-04-2011, 09:14   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Sounds like it's time to pick yourself up off the ground, dust yourself off, and come up with a new plan. It ain't easy being diagnosed with something fatal. BEST WISHES in things turning around for you...........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:23   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Not too many years ago there was a fellow diagnosed with terminal cancer that headed out from the US east coast in a sailboat bound for ???? or at least in the direction of the eastern Caribbean. His travels were well publicized and followed by many. He was very upbeat and happy fellow despite his condition.
- - It was amazing but he was - if I remember correctly - able to add more than a year to his remaining time by taking to a sailboat and cruising. He finally made it to Trinidad where his time finally ran out. But he had one heck of a great time along the way.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:46   #6

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hey... we are only here for a good time, not a long time! So live every week like it was your last ( I tried living every day like it was my last but my wife threatened to leave me!) and do something good for someone every day, even if it just a phone call to an old friend to cheer them up. When we were younger and in better health, we traveled, cruised, lived aboard, delivered boats, partied and generally had a great time. We still have the energy to kick up our heels but not quite as high. My bucket list is pretty small now but only because I was lucky to enough to be uninhibited and try everything I could think of at least once. My advice to you, Pagan, is to live life to the fullest you can and go out with no debt and friends who will miss you... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:05   #7

Well if he could get a life insured loan then the loan would be paid off on his death. Problem is what are the chances of getting loan or insured loan if they know medical history. Even if you did get loan you still have to make payments. He appears to have a boat so sell everything else and go for milder climes.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:10   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Yeah. best not to write down stuff like that

My Bucket list does not include anything boaty Probably involves sitting in another tropical paradise (moaning about the heat ) and some life shortening stupidity / fun. possibly involving alcohol and anything else I can get my hands on

When push comes to shove I won't care too much how that is all funded (sue me ). No point changing the habits of a lifetime . But the odds are of course that one don't get the luxury of time, or if you do - end up getting robbed of the go to get up with

The important thing (IMO) is to make your peace with those left behind or take 'em with you ......or send 'em on ahead
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:56   #9

This week I saw 2 good sailboats absolutly free, a 25ft huges on kijiji and an exquisite original and loved seawitch on the net...I also know of a free sand pipper near my home...go out and talk with boaters be real...not only will you have new oportunities...but you will find that many sailboat owners cant sail anymore for various reasons...no dought some will let you borow a boat for a day, a week, a year?? the posibilities are endless if you go out and talk.
cheers
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 14:42   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

It sounds like the OP has been given or told his "expiration date" on his "lease on life." I am in the same situation and have noticed that such folks react two ways; denial and a mostly fruitless battle to get them to change the expiration date; or acceptance and a profound re-ordering of the priorities in your life.
- - I noticed myself that all of a sudden quality of life became more important than quantity of life. Things, people or places that give you hassles or grief are now pushed to the very bottom, if not off, your list of priorities. Things, people or places that provide you with joy and happiness move to the top of the list.
- - This is where the full time cruising lifestyle really shows it value to life. Having the ability to take your home and leave or never go to "bad/depressing" places goes a long way to maintaining a happy and peaceful life for the remainder of your "lease."
- - Of course getting out of - or away from any society/country where grief, paranoia and bureaucrats bent on making your existence as miserable as theirs - is the first priority. Again, a cruising boat is the way to go.
- - Add all this up along with finally getting food not from a factory or factory farm and instead food the way Nature designed it - and lo and behold, in a lot of cases your "lease expiration date" starts to move further into the future.
- - Although I cannot document it, I do believe doing "good deeds" unselfishly earns you "bonus points" - like being good at pinball and earning bonus points and the opportunity to "Stay in the Game." Without earning those bonus points it isn't long before the sign lights up "Game Over."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 14:55   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Do I not remember that one Francis Chichester (sp?)s set out on his renowned circumnavigation after being diagnosed with terminal lung cancer? He managed to set the expiry date back for several years, during which he did some noteable things!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-04-2011, 14:56   #12

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Well Said, Osirissail... CP
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 15:02   #13

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Just to note: That we all have a very fatal desease... It is called AGEING. But then again I'm going to fight it kicking and screaming all the way to those Pearly Gates. And if I end up in Hell, I'll run hard and fast until I'm out and maybe the Devil will never know that I've passed through his Domain....
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 15:15   #14

Boat: looking

My bucket list is all about leaving my wife help, rather than headaches. Tying up legal/tax issues, first. After that, enjoying the unknown time gets top priority, for me it'd be sailing & sitting on white- sand beaches with good friends, good food & cold beer. As for considerations of defaulting on loans, I'd be concerned with how it'd affect my beneficiaries & the bad karma I'd be building. That's only a consideration of mine, however, not a judgement call.

As "i2f" mentions, the first thing you want to do is shake off the negative thoughts & get on with living. I appreciate how challenging getting a bad diagnosis is, but I've also found that the time spent on being overwhelmed and/or depressed is a waste of time & it is better to just get on with what you want to accomplish.
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 15:26   #15

Boat: Seal 22, 22 feet LOA

Just to put some of your minds at rest, the part about "borrowing as much as I can" is a tongue in cheek comment as I have my boat bought and paid for (not flash but suitable) but that seemed a bit boring. However the part re the note left with me in the boat is true.

I have spent my life working hard, been lucky never to have been unemployed until illness forced the issue, looked after and helped people as a police officer, psychotherapist and teacher and like you guys say, theft is anathema to me, which is probably why I have only got a "suitable" boat.

I have not yet been given the dreadful but you don't always need to be told, so i am now making preparations, getting things in order etc, so I can set sail with no regrets, not that I have any having lived a very full life.

But that's just me the post asked what your "bucket List" is.
Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote