Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2019, 18:06   #16

Re: Broker - P.O. issues on mainsail

This is why it’s best to do the sea trial before having the boat hauled and surveyed.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:27   #17

Boat: Catalina 350

to all, thx for the comments but understandable lack of support. there were other issues... like a propane leak, no anemometer no wind speed or direction, not even the normal stuff at the top of the mast..although listed, no boat speed, except on chart plotter and my iphone although listed, no autopilot although listed.. they were there but did not work. wrong size sheet lines on a 160 genoa, mast curved from poor rigging or no rigging adjustment, and i was not aware that the mainsail cover did not fit as I was in idaho, not at the boat. and you cannot see in pics, and when there is 36 inches of slack in the dutchman lines, in order to allow the POS sail cover to be put on, i am telling you a dutchman system CAN be disabled. one dangerous shore power cord when 2 listed, Helm wheel so loose it felt as coming off. Solid hull, good bones. all could be fixed. but there are other boats. We were planning to stay on the new boat for 10 days but now we are taking side trip to GA to see another boat in Simmons Island. The seller and broker are also losing a sale.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:43   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftybucks View Post
to all, thx for the comments but understandable lack of support. there were other issues... like a propane leak, no anemometer no wind speed or direction, not even the normal stuff at the top of the mast..although listed, no boat speed, except on chart plotter and my iphone although listed, no autopilot although listed.. they were there but did not work. wrong size sheet lines on a 160 genoa, mast curved from poor rigging or no rigging adjustment, and i was not aware that the mainsail cover did not fit as I was in idaho, not at the boat. and you cannot see in pics, and when there is 36 inches of slack in the dutchman lines, in order to allow the POS sail cover to be put on, i am telling you a dutchman system CAN be disabled. one dangerous shore power cord when 2 listed, Helm wheel so loose it felt as coming off. Solid hull, good bones. all could be fixed. but there are other boats. We were planning to stay on the new boat for 10 days but now we are taking side trip to GA to see another boat in Simmons Island. The seller and broker are also losing a sale.
These are all perfectly valid complaints and most should be addressed before the boat could be used or used safely. However that does not change the options you have to address the deal.

1. You can request the seller fix some or all of the problems. Again, unless there was some written agreement IE a legally binding contract, specifying the condition and function of any of these the seller has no legal nor ethical requirement to agree. If the boat, the equipment or conditions were significantly misrepresented by the seller or broker then you can hire a lawyer and sue but that will cost more time, money and headaches that you could ever justify.

2. You can reduce your offer to a level you feel adequate to deal with problems yourself. Again, the seller has no obligation to accept.

3. You can walk. Seller is legally obligated to return your deposit but has no obligation to reimburse any travel or survey expenses.

Yes this sounds like a costly bummer for you but unfortunately that is the risk of buying a used boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:49   #19

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Makes more sense now. I'd keep looking. The main thing is to not get in a hurry. We spent 2 years looking for the right boat the last time. You'll know it when you find it.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:50   #20

Negotiating is the fun part of a making a deal. Enjoy the to and fro.

The cost of a new sail and track sounds like a modest value.

I get that you wanted to sail the boat before buying the boat and there would be frustration as to not being able to easily raise and lower the mainsail but that is exactly the purpose of taking a boat out for a test run so as to discover some of the things that a survey tends to not be able to discover.

Besure that you will find yet other things that require fixing if you buy the boat as there are always issues that are discovered after a survey and a test.

It is a used craft, expect that there will be some issues.

Best wishes.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:57   #21

Boat: Catalina 350

Just to let all know, I walked. I do take 90% of the responsibility. I was looking to vent more than console. Thx for the wisdom as we move forward in our quest for our new boat. Biggest lesson learned and best suggestion in this thread is to do the seatrial first!
Old 12-05-2019, 07:23   #22

Good for taking responsibility. Now you know what to look for. I hate the buying process. After looking for a while, found a good seller with a better boat, a late model catalina 36.

In my case, saw the boat for the first time, surveyor showed up 2 hours later, closed at 5pm just in time to get the docs notarized. Had been in contact with the seller for some time, the boat was ‘as new’ - still spent lots after the sale to make it mine.

Only met one broker I liked, the rest I wouldn’t pay to clean my toilets. In their defense they often don’t know the boats well, best to have a conversation with the owner prior to committing to flights and the like.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:14   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Just to let all know, I walked. I do take 90% of the responsibility. I was looking to vent more than console. Thx for the wisdom as we move forward in our quest for our new boat. Biggest lesson learned and best suggestion in this thread is to do the seatrial first!
As well as sea trial, if possible (I know, difficult for one living a long way from the ocean) do a very, very detailed personal inspection yourself even before the sea trial.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail, sail