Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2019, 03:54   #31

Re: British Sailors in BC Canada

Thought it might be useful for those that follow to read the official response from The canadian Government; Transport Canada - Marine Safety | 700 - 800 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, V6Z 2J8.

Is it possible for a foreign national to own a Canadian registered vessel?

Yes - If the vessel is already licensed or registered than you will be transferring the license or registration only.

Is it possible to delete from the register the vessel and licence it to a foreign national?

Once you register with a foreign state or country there are some additional requirements that need to be adhered to. Ie: the vessel must leave Canada and only re-enter at specific intervals.

Will it be possible for me to leave the boat in Canada permanently under either of these two schemes?

Yes if you register or license your vessel in Canada than you may leave it in Canada. If the vessel has a foreign registration than there are other conditions that must be adhered too as noted above.
CatCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:56   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCouple View Post
Thought it might be useful for those that follow to read the official response from The canadian Government; Transport Canada - Marine Safety | 700 - 800 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, V6Z 2J8.

Is it possible for a foreign national to own a Canadian registered vessel?

Yes - If the vessel is already licensed or registered than you will be transferring the license or registration only.
This is incorrect. It seems you have been given bad information.
See Transport Canada "Qualifed Persons"
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet....htm#qualified

Part 2 of the Canada Shipping Act also contradicts your information.
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-10.15/
Old 05-11-2019, 09:53   #33

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
This is incorrect. It seems you have been given bad information.
Well, it's information that has been badly given at least ... it is actually correct, since the owner of a registered Canadian boat can be a foreign national ... *if* they are a permanent resident.

Clearly it was not a very helpful person who replied to the OP, since not only was the first question answered badly, the second was not even an answer to the question that was asked.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:09   #34
Marine Service Provider

Awesome question, man!

Other than those specified, are there any other types of boats you're looking for?
Old 05-11-2019, 11:02   #35

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Well, it's information that has been badly given at least ... it is actually correct, since the owner of a registered Canadian boat can be a foreign national ... *if* they are a permanent resident.

Clearly it was not a very helpful person who replied to the OP, since not only was the first question answered badly, the second was not even an answer to the question that was asked.
I am confused, so I asked: what is a "foreign national?"
Wikipedia answered:
"A foreign national is any person who is not a national of the country in which they are residing or temporarily sojourning. For example, a foreign national in Canada is someone who is neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident."
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:09   #36

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I am confused, so I asked: what is a "foreign national?"
Wikipedia answered:
"A foreign national is any person who is not a national of the country in which they are residing or temporarily sojourning. For example, a foreign national in Canada is someone who is neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident."
I stand corrected - thanks.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:52   #37

I have asked for further clarification from Transport Canada, surprised that they would get such a basic question so wrong! Will post here any reply.

Dubai guy: I am looking for a 45' plus ketch suitable for PNW maybe with pilot house. Warm ,heavy, bluewater cruiser.

Still think the best option is to buy a boat ( of any flag) in WA delete from from current registration and put on a British flag. Then sail into Canada for the summers each year.

the search continues!
Old 08-11-2019, 07:18   #38

Boat: Looking

The British can have Canofduh. Ya ain't getting these here Un-united States of Communists.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:33   #39

Hi, I hope you manage to sort out your issues.
Just a side note with regard to British SSR registry, it's not quite as simple as it seems.
There are quite stringent rules with regard to British registry on the Small Ships Register.
The main one which could cause you problems is that you have to prove British residency for at least 6 months in the year which your application is received.
With the tools available to the various government agencies now in the UK, (The Government Gateway) system, It is very easy for any of the agencies to view your travelling activities, passport movements etc.
Just something you should be aware of, so I thought I would throw it in.
Good Luck with your quest, don't give up on it, just do it!
Seamentress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:54   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamentress View Post
Hi, I hope you manage to sort out your issues.
Just a side note with regard to British SSR registry, it's not quite as simple as it seems.
There are quite stringent rules with regard to British registry on the Small Ships Register.
The main one which could cause you problems is that you have to prove British residency for at least 6 months in the year which your application is received.
With the tools available to the various government agencies now in the UK, (The Government Gateway) system, It is very easy for any of the agencies to view your travelling activities, passport movements etc.
Just something you should be aware of, so I thought I would throw it in.
Good Luck with your quest, don't give up on it, just do it!
Interesting , how do you manage with that living aboard in Mexico? The SSR is renewable every 5 years.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:28   #41

Living aboard, is a problem dealing with renewal.
However after many emails back and forth, and the fact that all my financials, tax records, pensions, and lifelong certifications, Birth, education, marriage, etc and mailing address are all in England, common sense prevailed and I was allowed to renew.
If it had been a new application and not a renewal, I doubt I would have got it.
As it was I had to send copies of documents to back up my arguments.
So, as I said, it's something to be aware of when making a purchase in a foreign country.

Good Luck.
Seamentress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:51   #42

You should be aware that the Canadain gov't is planning on adding a 10% toy tax to boats, cars, planes.... over $100K.
No idea when this will come into effect.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...areful-nibbles
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:16   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamentress View Post
Living aboard, is a problem dealing with renewal.
However after many emails back and forth, and the fact that all my financials, tax records, pensions, and lifelong certifications, Birth, education, marriage, etc and mailing address are all in England, common sense prevailed and I was allowed to renew.
If it had been a new application and not a renewal, I doubt I would have got it.
As it was I had to send copies of documents to back up my arguments.
So, as I said, it's something to be aware of when making a purchase in a foreign country.

Good Luck.
Hi, I looked into this further and you are of course correct with reference to the SSR part III registration, you can however register a private yacht on Part 1 of the register as a non resident British citizen it is only 150 for five years and 49 to renew. You will need full documentation for the boat. Probably too late for you as you have been through the pain barrier now but might be useful to others reading this thread.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:17   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysgoneby View Post
You should be aware that the Canadain gov't is planning on adding a 10% toy tax to boats, cars, planes.... over $100K.
No idea when this will come into effect.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...areful-nibbles
death and taxes hey!

Tags
Canada, sail