Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2009, 07:57   #1

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
Bridge Height in Charlotte Harbor

the NOAA chart 11426 states that the Hwy 41 and the I-75 bridges are 45 ft.......some one told me that the bridges were re built to allow taller mast heights up the peace river.....any one have any info on this..........Thanks .Ed
Old 25-08-2009, 09:37   #2

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
found the answer they are 45ft.. looking for a house down there , so that put me south of those bridges ......didn't want to be up the creek so to speak any how...........LOL
Old 25-08-2009, 11:03   #3

Boat: 1987 Watkins 25 Wu-Hsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutgone View Post
found the answer they are 45'.. looking for a house down there , so that put me south of those bridges ......didn't want to be up the creek so to speak any how...........LOL
Just to affirm, we were in Punta Gorda last week of July. We were visiting marinas looking for a new home port for Wu-Hsin. We asked each Dock Master the same questions including what the vertical clearance of the 2 US 41 bridges is. Consistent answer was " Fourty-five feet." Also, we drove over both spans of US 41 (each bridge is one way) and they are definitely not 65 footers!

Drove over I-75 also but I don't remember the height, seems to me it was lower than 45'. We don't intend to take Wu-Hsin that far up the Peace River anyway.
cosmosmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 07:26   #4

So glad to verify the answer to this question! We just put our beautiful waterfront lot in Punta Gorda on the market. One bridge (US 41) separates it from open waters, so I wanted to be sure to have the correct info if a potential buyer asked!!
waterbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 10:41   #5

Boat: 1987 Watkins 25 Wu-Hsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbugs View Post
So glad to verify the answer to this question! We just put our beautiful waterfront lot in Punta Gorda on the market. One bridge (US 41) separates it from open waters, so I wanted to be sure to have the correct info if a potential buyer asked!!
We met some other cruisers this year who have a building lot in Punta Gorda but are not able to get hurricane insurance and the minimum size house required by the covenants would cost them around $300,000 which is way more than they would consider going without insurance. Covenants also say they can't just tie up to their dock and live on the boat.

Doesn't sound like you're happy about selling are the reasons similar to this other couple?
cosmosmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 11:50   #6

We bought the lot to build a retirement home. We only live 1 1/2 hr's north in Bradenton. Our kids and grandkids are keeping us so busy that we decided not to move down there although we LOVE Punta Gorda! I wonder if their lot is in PGI (Punta Gorda Isles). They are very restrictive. We didn't want to deal with houses that all look like they're from the same cookie cutter and found our great location between US 41 & I 75. I'll try to post the craig's list link, but don't know if it will show up on this site. The houses that were built to hurricane specifications had minimal damage from Hurricane Charlie. In fact, there is a unique round house next door to us. Fun! The one draw back today is the county is just getting the permits to redredge the canal so it won't be complete for another year. WATERFRONT Lot near Hospital
waterbugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Charlotte Harbor