Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2018, 08:43   #31

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: Bought boat without Broker - Right or Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatparts View Post
no. but you should pay his commission on the boat you're buying.
how much is 2 months of time worth?
The broker spent two months helping look for a suitable boat -- and failed. He shouldn't be paid if he doesn't produce a result.

Your argument similarly says that if he spends two months helping you look for a boat, and you finally decide that the market just doesn't fit for you, you should pay him a commission on the value of your target boat.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 08:59   #32

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft

I also was asked to pay a buyers commission by a broker. I am from Canada, was looking for a specific model, brand and age. I had a broker contact Me and get Me a list of the type of boats I was looking for. Went to Florida a couple of times ( made it a vacation) But none of his references had potential. Too expensive, floating garbage, nothing was even close to what the boat was described by him. 6 months later I found what I wanted on My own in Curacao. 6,000 plus miles away. I dealt with the owner. told him I did not want to talk to His broker. We struck a deal and 7 years later I We still are friends. He was honest, forth coming a great person to deal with. He had to pay His broker because He had a contract. about 3 months after I bought the boat, the broker from Florida suggested an other boat. I told him I already bought one. Told him where I got it and the circumstance. He was not even aware of this particular vessel. He was furious. told Me He was My broker, and that I owed him part of the commission. I laughed, and told him to take a hike. He threatened Me with a lawsuit. and told him to go ahead and try it. That was the end of that.
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 12:02   #33
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Such details really should be spelled out in the contract.

And the term then followed by both parties.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 07:30   #34

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
We chartered a boat that was listed by an owner/broker. We were not working with a broker at the time and made an offer on the boat, he declined. We moved on and continued our search 6 months later with a buyer's broker, nice guy, very helpful. This broker worked with us for about 2 months when the original owner of the boat we had chartered contacted us to say he was willing to sell us the boat per original deal (with no broker involved). We explained to our current broker the situation and that if the deal fell through we would like to continue working with him. He was obviously upset, we never heard back from him. Question is, were we wrong to proceed without him?
I would have just handed the offer to your current Buyers Broker.
The "Very Helpful Nice Guy" who has been working for you for two months.
Let them sort out their commissions between themselves.
Plus it is always tidy to have an intermediary working on your behalf.

Tags
boat