Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 15:33   #16
cruiser

Re: Boatyard Blues😡

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hell mechanics make 105 usd hourly-- they can bludi teach me as we go . same with prep and painters and other yard workers...
I would like to meet the mechanic making $218,000 a year.

And learn to spell.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 16:25   #17

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post

And learn to spell.

Paul
Learn to read Paul, nothing wrong with Zee's spelling
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 16:41   #18

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post

And learn to spell.

Paul
The boatyard gets quite a chunk of it.

And Zee has some physical limitations that affect her typing. You'll get used to her pirate speak. To me it's ended up quite endearing, definitely not something I'd publicly berate somebody for.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 16:53   #19

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Standard yard rate on Long Island is now 135hr machanics and 80 an hour for yard work.
Look up a Brewers yard and others and check their rates. Everybody here looks at what the other guy is charging. When you have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in school and property taxes for a parking lot in a New York for your boatyard they have have to charge a big rate just to survive. Half the marinas are empty. They tax the parking lot as if houses were on it and kids going to school, so you get killed. It's nuts
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 17:29   #20

Boat: csy 37

What really hurts is you may not have needed all that work in the first place.

A few years ago I had a contractor in a reputable boat yard stop by to tell me I had blisters and needed a peel and epoxy coat. He was pointing to a line of barnacle residue at the waterline, which I just happened to be scraping off. I asked him if he had ever seen a barnacle before. He just walked off.

Later on I found that he had been working on a Morgan 382. He had convinced the owner that he had blisters, that he could do the whole job for about $5k. Three months and $10k later he still wasn't finished. Not sure if the boat really had blisters.

Sometimes it pays to have a few people look at the suspected problem before committing to a big job.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 17:38   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
What really hurts is you may not have needed all that work in the first place.

A few years ago I had a contractor in a reputable boat yard stop by to tell me I had blisters and needed a peel and epoxy coat. He was pointing to a line of barnacle residue at the waterline, which I just happened to be scraping off. I asked him if he had ever seen a barnacle before. He just walked off.

Later on I found that he had been working on a Morgan 382. He had convinced the owner that he had blisters, that he could do the whole job for about $5k. Three months and $10k later he still wasn't finished. Not sure if the boat really had blisters.

Sometimes it pays to have a few people look at the suspected problem before committing to a big job.
EXACTLY.

ALWAYS get second opinion. ALWAYS.
35 ft fin/spade with discount on a special should be around 2k usd. 40 ft proportionately. some yards are higher. proud of their travelifts.
i prefer rail and cradle.
as i am not in usa for yard work, my mileage is better.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 19:25   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
Standard yard rate on Long Island is now 135hr machanics and 80 an hour for yard work.
Of course. That is the rate the customer is billed for the job. That covers all costs, of which the mechanic's wage is only one, plus profit. The assertion was that "mechanics make 105 per hour" which is not true.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 20:24   #23
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i figger i am paying not just for repairs, but for education. hell mechanics make 105 usd hourly-- they can bludi teach me as we go . same with prep and painters and other yard workers...

I'm generally OK with that, but always explain up front that this will double the hours in the job. There are much cheaper ways to learn. But some people are happy to pay the rate just to chat. I've never understood...

Personally, I also often find the number of mistakes made on a job generally doubles as well with owner participation. Distractions do not help when trying to execute a complicated task.

Most owners are happy to leave my to my work once this is explained to them. I take tons of pictures throughout the process and text them to my clients, with explanations. Much better than actually being there, with the fumes and itch dust, unable to actually see much without suiting up yourself.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 05:45   #24

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Money can't buy happiness, but you can buy a boat and it's pretty much the same thing...
Still Happy?

Good luck.
Old 15-01-2016, 06:27   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ha ha ha. when you use boatyard in cali you will be billed105 usd per hour for MECHANIC
when you use independent mechanic, you WILL receive charge of 105 usd per hour.
so YOU tell me again that marine mechanics do not get 105 usd per hour.
granted the work is seasonal, so take home aint 200,000 plus per annum.
so... as you naysayers do not haul boats out of water or hire mechanics for work, you do not know the reality of hiring mechanics to do your work.
unless you have done this, you truly do not know.
and then there are the overrated gringos in pair a dice whohave very bad reputations, remove parts from your engine and harge double bakatcha for your own part to be reinstalled...repeatedly, same clown who charges flat 10,000 usd merely to LOOK at an engine bay and then 50,000 usd for a 15000 usd new engine.
luckily, i was able to find realistically priced, accountable local mechanic guru without the evil quirks the english speaking self appointed alleged mechanics develop before their arrivals here to fleece cruisers.

life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote