Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2021, 15:57   #1

Boat: Irwin 30 Citation
Boats, Cars, House Insurance Company Recommendations

Looking for recommendations for insurance company to insure Two $10,000 boats, two cars, and our house. We are currently with State Farm and looking to change insurance companies. We have not had any claims with them but they keep having problems with our policy. The letter we got from State Farm today was telling us our collision, comprehensive, and theft insurance is cancelled because our agent did not take all the required photos for our new Subaru Ascent. It was cancelled Feb 23, letter printed sent Feb 24, we got the letter Saturday Feb 27, and nobody at State Farm can fix it until Monday March 1. If the car is stolen right now we are out $40,000. Would you stay with this insurance company?
upstateny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 16:06   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Boats, Cars, House Insurance Company Recommendations

I would bail out if I were you. Your agent has done you no favors. I had State Farm when a neighbor's tree landed on my roof. State Farm canceled me. When I inquired why they said it was my lifestyle. Really. 15 years with no claims. Agent could care less. I would suggest that everybody take bids from other insurers every 3 years. Otherwise they keep raising your premiums.
anchorbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 17:41   #3

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Try Progressive
Old 27-02-2021, 19:02   #4

Try Amica. I've had cars, boats, home and umbrella liability with them for 30 years. In all that time they've never screwed up a bill, raised a rate unreasonably, or made me chase them about a claim.

The catch is they don't take everyone. That's how they keep their prices down. But it can't hurt to give them a call.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 10:45   #5

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
Looking for recommendations for insurance company to insure Two $10,000 boats, two cars, and our house............. Would you stay with this insurance company?..............
No to answer your question. I use Geico for auto, Hippo for single family home, American Modern for manufactured home and Markel for 2 boats all based on lowest competitive quote.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 10:49   #6

Farm Bureau
SV_Galateia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 10:54   #7

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

I had State Farm for some 30 years. The whole enchilada multiple cars, home, life, and boat.

My insurance agent was disaster. Every time I asked him a question he would turn it in as a possible claim which I didnít know until I got a homeowners cancellation notice in the mail although I made never made a claim against my homeowners insurance.

Needless to say I wanted to change agents which State Farm refused to do. So I began changing insurance companies one policy at a time. My agent never asked why.

Eventually I dropped State Farm entirely which amounted to spending thousands a year with someone else.

I also had a bad experience of price gouging with Allstate as well when buying a car after not owning one for a couple of years while cruising. Allstate charged 6 times as much for car insurance as Progressive. We cancelled almost immediately and Allstate refused to refund 5 months of cancelled insurance.

I have Progressive now and I am pleased with their coverage pricing and service.

Donít get me started on boat insurance.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 11:13   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I got Progressive when Boat USA bailed on me because my Hunter 34 was over 20 years old (actually 35 yrs old). There rate was also less than Boat USA
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 11:49   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1983 Catalina 25

If your in Florida give my office a call 8133740150. We specialize in Home and Boat
CoryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 12:01   #10

Boat: Hunter 46

upstateny...........the varied responses above confirm insurance companies are very competitive and is very situational depending on how much insurance you need, age and cost to replace each item, etc. .....so IF you are willing to solicit insurance quotes for each item separately and bundled with and without an umbrella policy you will be surprised how low you can get that cost down.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 12:53   #11

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
I got Progressive when Boat USA bailed on me because my Hunter 34 was over 20 years old (actually 35 yrs old). There rate was also less than Boat USA
Isn't the problem with Progressive that you can't go further than the Bahamas? In fact if I remember correctly, you can't even go south of the northern Exumas. So who is best for going from Florida to Trinidad?
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:33   #12

Boat: Nordic Tug 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
Isn't the problem with Progressive that you can't go further than the Bahamas? In fact if I remember correctly, you can't even go south of the northern Exumas. So who is best for going from Florida to Trinidad?
Is anyone writing coverage for the Bahamas, I could not find any for our 2007 Nordic Tug.
SVToybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:35   #13

Where I live, State Farm is still recovering from all of the bad things they got caught doing after Katrina. I'm not sure how anyone would ever trust them again after that.

Tags
boat, insurance, men