Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2022, 17:00   #1
Cruising in between boats
 
DMF Sailing's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: The North Atlantic and its tributaries
Boat: THEN: Indefatigable offshore-proven Bristol 22 #172; NOW: various 30-40' monohulls; ALWAYS: Shopping
Posts: 832
Images: 3
"Boating Safety" cards

Hello, friends!

Another thread has drawn my attention to something (else) that I didn't know, despite having skippered boats since the Antediluvian Period.

It appears that U.S. states require a card that demonstrates that a skipper has taken boating safety courses.

I assume this also exists elsewhere in the world.

Do my ASA card or IPC certificate serve as a surrogate for this? Or do y'all seriously pass courses for every new place where you cruise?

Thanks in advance for your constructive answers!

And trollish louts, thank you, too. You brighten my day with your sahkazm.
__________________

I learned how to sail when i was five.
Sailing has taught me how to learn every day since then.
DMF Sailing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 17:12   #2
Registered User
 
Ziggy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: U.S., Northeast
Boat: Contessa 32
Posts: 1,587
Images: 2
Re: "Boating Safety" cards

At least Massachusetts has a grandfather clause, exempting anyone over 15 (17 for PWC operators) from the license requirement. Even though it's not required, getting a certificate might save you some hassle elsewhere (like Canada)
__________________
... He knows the chart is not the sea.
-- Philip Booth, Chart 1203
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 17:19   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Southern California
Boat: Catalina 320
Posts: 1,100
Re: "Boating Safety" cards

In California it's not required of non-residents operating in state waters for less than 60 days if they meet requirements in their home state. For residents of other countries that is extended to 90 days. People operating rental vessels are exempt also, most states probably similar to avoid negative impact on tourism.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 17:25   #4
Cruising in between boats
 
DMF Sailing's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: The North Atlantic and its tributaries
Boat: THEN: Indefatigable offshore-proven Bristol 22 #172; NOW: various 30-40' monohulls; ALWAYS: Shopping
Posts: 832
Images: 3
Re: "Boating Safety" cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
At least Massachusetts has a grandfather clause, exempting anyone over 15 (17 for PWC operators) from the license requirement. Even though it's not required, getting a certificate might save you some hassle elsewhere (like Canada)
Ziggy played guitar!

You're in the U.S. Northeast. Do the other 5 states (my cruising ground) have a similar requirement?
__________________

I learned how to sail when i was five.
Sailing has taught me how to learn every day since then.
DMF Sailing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 17:26   #5
Registered User
 
Jammer's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Boat: Hunter 26
Posts: 2,771
Re: "Boating Safety" cards

The requirements vary widely from state to state. In most cases (not all) the requirements don't apply to people born before a certain year. In most cases (not all) there is some sort of provision for boaters from out-of-state. There are commercial training and testing companies, like BoatSafe, that are lobbying for their tests to be accepted, and they are in some states.


Some, but not all, states will accept a USCG license in lieu of a state license. Federal law preempts only under limited circumstances.


Enforcement is rare except for sailboats though I expect that will change with time.


The only reliable reports I'm aware of, of actual tickets being issued for lack of an operator certification, to adults behaving reasonably, were in Ontario.
__________________
Never ascribe to wisdom that which is adequately explained by good luck.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 17:38   #6
Cruising in between boats
 
DMF Sailing's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: The North Atlantic and its tributaries
Boat: THEN: Indefatigable offshore-proven Bristol 22 #172; NOW: various 30-40' monohulls; ALWAYS: Shopping
Posts: 832
Images: 3
Re: "Boating Safety" cards

But in terms of my original question, neither my ASA card nor my IPC card will avail me. Right?
__________________

I learned how to sail when i was five.
Sailing has taught me how to learn every day since then.
DMF Sailing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 17:41   #7
Seaman, Delivery skipper
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 28,549
Images: 2
pirate Re: "Boating Safety" cards

Methinks its a N American requirement.. could well become an EU requirement..
However, in the Land of the Free..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waving-flag-of-united-kingdom-state-vector-23867653.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	251764  
__________________

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 18:12   #8
Cruising in between boats
 
DMF Sailing's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: The North Atlantic and its tributaries
Boat: THEN: Indefatigable offshore-proven Bristol 22 #172; NOW: various 30-40' monohulls; ALWAYS: Shopping
Posts: 832
Images: 3
Re: "Boating Safety" cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Methinks its a N American requirement.. could well become an EU requirement..
However, in the Land of the Free..
God save the queen, Boatman. I'll send a thanks to add to your squares.
__________________

I learned how to sail when i was five.
Sailing has taught me how to learn every day since then.
DMF Sailing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 18:45   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 3
Re: "Boating Safety" cards

In the US it is very much up to the individual states; certainly many states haven't got a boating education requirement. So you are probably going to need to check out the requirements of relevant states. I have been told that ASA101 generally fulfills the state requirements, but have not verified this.
HNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 19:10   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,909
Re: "Boating Safety" cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
But in terms of my original question, neither my ASA card nor my IPC card will avail me. Right?
I see that you are in Boston.

Who can operate a boat and/or personal watercraft in Massachusetts?
In Massachusetts, no person under 12 years of age may operate a motorized boat, unless accompanied on board and directly supervised by a competent person 18 years of age or older.

Youth under the age of 16 are not allowed to operate a personal watercraft under any circumstances.

What is a Massachusetts Boating Safety Certificate?
The Massachusetts Boating Safety Certificate (often incorrectly referred to as the Massachusetts boating license) is proof that a boater has completed a state-approved 10-12 hour classroom-based boater education course.

Who is required to have a Massachusetts Boating Safety Certificate?

Persons between 12 and 15 years of age must complete a state-approved basic boating classroom course in order to operate a motorized boat without adult supervision. Upon successful completion of the mandatory course, students are issued a state Boating Safety Certificate which must be carried on board at all times while the vessel is underway.

Personal watercraft operators who are 16 or 17 years of age must also complete a state-approved basic boating classroom course to legally operate a PWC.

The minimum age to obtain a Boating Safety Certificate is 12 years of age. Students must be at least 12 years of age to register for a state boating safety classroom course.

The Boat Massachusetts course is available in two formats. A full in-person format that runs approximately 10-12 hours in length, generally over the course of several days. All full in-person classes are free of charge. There is also a hybrid format that consists of an online education course, followed by an abbreviated in-person session with a proctored exam. There is an associated fee for the online program.

Classes are for adults and youth 12 years of age and older. Family participation is encouraged and has proven to be very rewarding. All graduates in the 12 through 15 year-old age group will be issued a safety certificate allowing them to operate a motorboat without adult supervision, as required by state law. The same is true for 16 and 17 year old youth who wish to operate a personal watercraft.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 19:16   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 74
Re: "Boating Safety" cards

As has been said, it is very much a state by state determination. VA for example has a requirement for an approved class (and an ASA class isn't on the list) but there is a long list of exceptions: https://dwr.virginia.gov/boating/education/requirement/ One of the exceptions is if your vessel is registered in another state and you operate your boat in VA for 90 days or less then you must meet your state's requirement.
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 19:29   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Posts: 6,433
Re: "Boating Safety" cards

If they don’t take my 100 ton master with sailing endorsement, they can write the the ticket. I’m not taking a course anywhere. Lol
__________________
Epoxy can kill me like a kid smelling peanuts across the lunch room. Even the freshly machined dust from cured epoxy. Please donít suggest using it.
Chotu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 20:13   #13
Cruising in between boats
 
DMF Sailing's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: The North Atlantic and its tributaries
Boat: THEN: Indefatigable offshore-proven Bristol 22 #172; NOW: various 30-40' monohulls; ALWAYS: Shopping
Posts: 832
Images: 3
Re: "Boating Safety" cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
I see that you are in Boston.

Who can operate a boat and/or personal watercraft in Massachusetts?
In Massachusetts, no person under 12 years of age may operate a motorized boat, unless accompanied on board and directly supervised by a competent person 18 years of age or older.

Youth under the age of 16 are not allowed to operate a personal watercraft under any circumstances.

What is a Massachusetts Boating Safety Certificate?
The Massachusetts Boating Safety Certificate (often incorrectly referred to as the Massachusetts boating license) is proof that a boater has completed a state-approved 10-12 hour classroom-based boater education course.

Who is required to have a Massachusetts Boating Safety Certificate?

Persons between 12 and 15 years of age must complete a state-approved basic boating classroom course in order to operate a motorized boat without adult supervision. Upon successful completion of the mandatory course, students are issued a state Boating Safety Certificate which must be carried on board at all times while the vessel is underway.

Personal watercraft operators who are 16 or 17 years of age must also complete a state-approved basic boating classroom course to legally operate a PWC.

The minimum age to obtain a Boating Safety Certificate is 12 years of age. Students must be at least 12 years of age to register for a state boating safety classroom course.

The Boat Massachusetts course is available in two formats. A full in-person format that runs approximately 10-12 hours in length, generally over the course of several days. All full in-person classes are free of charge. There is also a hybrid format that consists of an online education course, followed by an abbreviated in-person session with a proctored exam. There is an associated fee for the online program.

Classes are for adults and youth 12 years of age and older. Family participation is encouraged and has proven to be very rewarding. All graduates in the 12 through 15 year-old age group will be issued a safety certificate allowing them to operate a motorboat without adult supervision, as required by state law. The same is true for 16 and 17 year old youth who wish to operate a personal watercraft.
Thanks, Montanan.

Being a dullard, I just got online, paid &35, and am taking the only massachusetts course.
__________________

I learned how to sail when i was five.
Sailing has taught me how to learn every day since then.
DMF Sailing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 20:17   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,909
Re: "Boating Safety" cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Thanks, Montanan.

Being a dullard, I just got online, paid &35, and am taking the only massachusetts course.
You are quite possibly the oldest looking twelve-year-old, I have ever seen on the Cruisersforum.

Well better safe than sorry.

At least you can say you are a card-carrying sailor. Never leave home or port without it.

And you won't need adult supervision to operate the boat.

Enjoy the study; it's winter not a lot better to due.

Happy & Healthy New Year.

All the best.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 20:26   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 589
Re: "Boating Safety" cards

I have the same point of view.
I might change it, after a discussion with a border agent who got annoyed because I didn’t have one.
A boater card might just save me the embuggarance of explaining the requirements to some official idiot who has no idea what I’m talking about.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat, boating, safety

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boating Safety: Drowning Greatest Danger CaptainK Health, Safety & Related Gear 8 27-06-2007 02:38

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.