Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2016, 18:11   #1

Boat US Insurance Advice

I need a bit of advice concerning an insurance issue we are having.

As previously posted, our boat took a lightning strike last April. Our boat was on a lake at the time, and we spent 6 months going round-and-round with the marina for repairs. After an obscene quote and an estimate of a year for repairs, we decided - on our own dime - to move the boat to the gulf coast for repairs.

Boat US is our insurance company. Had them for about 18 years with no claims, so you would think they would really love us. Others on this board have posted great comments about their service....

When we decided to move the boat, our Boat US adjuster admonished us that moving was all on us and to do it quickly so they did not incur yard charges. Even though, moving the boat to a more economical environment was going to save them thousands on the claim.

So, we paid to move the boat 2 weeks ago.

There are two phases to repairing the boat: Out of water repairs and in water repairs. Once we got the boat to the coast, our Boat US adjuster became completely non-responsive. Multiple phone calls and emails went unanswered other than one email response that had a reply of "received".

This past Friday, my wife and I took the day off from work to drive the 5 hours to the boat to see if we could get things moving. On the way down, we finally received a call from our Boat US adjuster approving the out-of-water work. Great! She even said she was overnighting a check! We got to the boat, got the trades to do the work and floated the boat.

Now, the engine still does not work, but remembering our admonishment to get the boat out of the yard quickly so Boat US does not have to pay for the year, I called...TowBoat US! We are members! Full towing!! Woo Hoo! They can move the boat to our newly paid for slip: Right.....

I call TowBoat US. They ask why the the engine didn't work. I explained. They asked who the insurance company was. I told them Boat US. They asked for the claim number and adjuster. I provided both.

Over the course of an hour, TowBoat US called me twice. Boat US called me (I NEVER called them....this tow was on ME). The boat shows up, moves me...all is good.

Then, Friday NIGHT I get a voicemail from my Boat US adjuster basically hauling me behind the woodshed because she was not personally called about me moving the boat as requested.

Now: No Check. No response from Boat US. No Nothing. We suspect that when her feelings were hurt, she cancelled the check.

So...after all this, a few questions: Has anyone else ever suffered through such poor - horrendous customer service? I cannot find any advocate at Boat US to help us past this issue and our concern now is that it will take a lawyer to get this organization to fulfill their obligations. I'm already out about 10K just to start and the bills to full repair are in the $50K range.
DancesWDolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 18:15   #2

Boat: catalina 1985 30 -Hello over there
Re: Boat US Insurance Advice

This makes me want too cancel my policy wow

Sent from my SM-J200M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-11-2016, 19:10   #3

Boat: Corbin 39

Last time and insurance adjuster started screwing me around I demanded to speak to his superiors about my claim. The adjuster instantly changed his tune an issued a check that same day.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 19:11   #4

I'm hoping this is a single employee issue and not systemic of the organization.

We've never needed to make a claim to Boat US before, so unsure what is "normal" and what is a problem at this point.
Old 16-11-2016, 20:30   #5

Boat US Insurance Advice

Keep in mind that Boatus insurance is now owned by Geico. I don't expect anybody will get the same service as before.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 03:13   #6

I hope it works out. I have them too was kinda worried about going with them because Geico owned them now. Keep us updated. Good luck.
Colapuaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 06:52   #7

Thanks to all. I am going to send all of this to the President of Boat US and see what their position is.

I will keep you guys updated.
Old 17-11-2016, 08:02   #8

Boat: lancer 36

left boat us some time ago. insurance is insurance so buy the cheapest. my experience is that every company will be equally pain and pleasure to deal with so i don't pay more than i have to.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 08:10   #9

Sometimes when an insurance company sees a lot of claims in a year, they try and cut back by refusing to pay, or won't pay all of a claim that they should to save some bucks. The companies put pressure on the adjusters to not be as forthright as they should.

Matthew, I would suspect, resulted in a lot of claims for Geico and others. Could have an impact. I saw this with Sandy and Hugo.

Just sayin....
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 08:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWDolphins View Post
Thanks to all. I am going to send all of this to the President of Boat US and see what their position is.

I will keep you guys updated.
Sometimes a complaint to the State Insurance Commissioner gets good results.

All the Commissioners have complaint forms for insurance companies that don't cooperate and treat insureds fairly - as is the situation you are in.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 08:15   #11

My rates went up $100 with the new Geico ownership. Every year before that my rates have gone down. A letter with the policy essentially said that, yup, your rates are going up, don't call us, call Geico.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 08:46   #12

Boat: Caliber 40

I don't think this is a problem unique to BOAT/US but is common to all boat, and probably ALL insurance companies. They want the premiums but don't want to pay out on claims.

Our boat suffered a lot of hull damage. We hired a NAMS surveyor to assess the damage, coordinate the claim with the insurance company, and to supervise the repairs. Everything went well and work was done professionally in a timely fashion.

AFTER all the work was done the insurance company started nickel and diming the claim and denying responsibility for payment, despite written statements and letters between our representative and the insurance company.

For example: the boat needed a repaint of the entire hull, above the water line,including removal of all paint down to gellcoat and then a complete repaint. The insurance company agreed, in writing, to that repair. When it came time to pay, they deducted 50% from the payment because they said "only the port side needed painting" despite the written authorization for "repaint hull above the water line."

By the time all the legal discussion was completed - the check offered to me paid for 20% of the repairs that the insurance company had authorized, in writing.

This was a non-US company but the policy was brokered by a "major" blue water insurance broker in the US.

I eventually cancelled the claim, to clear my history, and paid every penny out of my pocket.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 08:51   #13

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

Been here, done this, and with BoatUS too. My boat was struck by lightning a few years back. The damage exceeded the insured amount! Just about everything electric/electronic suffered. You name it, it was ruined. Alternator, refrigerator, Tv, windlass, every instrument, radios... To speed up the claims process, I constructed a spreadsheet, an endless list. BTW, that list helped tremendously. Even the surveyor used it.

Be prepared for frustration and despair, but with light at the end of the tunnel if you're proactive. For example, BoatUS paid for all new equipment. Also, I had installed new Lifeline batteries only a day earlier. Fried, according the local automotive tech guy. It was really disappointing, nearly $2K lost. However, I had him call the company. I will never forget the confident engineer we spoke to. "Just put them on the charger." They came back to life, good as new.

Moving to more important issues:
Getting estimates is very nearly impossible, I think for the reason that it is impossible to determine everything that was damaged. Problems keep cropping up. Just getting estimates took two months. Getting work done will naturally be expensive because of the complexity of systems, wiring damage, etc. and most yards don't want the hassle.

As I said, the repair cost exceeded the insured amount by a considerable margin. BoatUS wanted to total. I did not because the vessel was under-insured by about 40%. They agreed on paying me the insured amount, and I keep the vessel and repair myself. They also provided port-risk insurance during the work, with the condition that I get it re-surveyed on completion. The work took about 6 weeks nonstop.

No increase in my premium or deductible. BoatUS is great! I've been with them since 1990 with only this claim, and another having to do with the Great Beaufort Oil Spill of 2016, which I terminated as soon as the Coast Guard identified the responsible party.

My experience with them is very different. They were very helpful to me, though the bottom line was evident when they wanted to total. Even then, they still made me a very happy customer. I think my claims record helped, but also I was patient and worked with them.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 08:52   #14

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
My rates went up $100 with the new Geico ownership. Every year before that my rates have gone down. A letter with the policy essentially said that, yup, your rates are going up, don't call us, call Geico.
My rates went DOWN 50% with my new GEICO/BoatUS policy. I've been with them for 18 of the last 21-years but have no claims.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 08:59   #15

Your big mistake was not choosing a better insurance company. In my many years as a broker and long distance delivery skipper there in only one company to use and that is Chubb Insurance. I have helped my clients through several claims and related surveys with the best service from Chubb.
As to your present claim do you have everything in writing with respect to moving the boat? If you can support that the move was okayed go straight up stairs including letters to the state insurance commission and the president of your present carrier..
mickelsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance