Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2016, 10:49   #31

Boat: Herreschoff Diddikai 39
Re: Boat US Insurance Advice

When I worked for Allstate Claims the company would really respond quickly when a claimant filed a complaint with the State Insurance Commissioner.

fgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 11:43   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgraham View Post
When I worked for Allstate Claims the company would really respond quickly when a claimant filed a complaint with the State Insurance Commissioner.
Same experience here too - as the regulators and licensing agency for insurance company, they do get the attention of the insurance companies, very quickly.

crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 17:26   #33

I suffered also by the hands of the insurance company. Boat hit draw bridge got mast and rigging damage. Boatyard in Jacksonville, Florida was so bad and did such poor, adjuster agreed and told me to just get the boat out or the boat yard and get the rest of the repairs done elsewhere. When I got the baot to another yard, the adjuster tells me it is now another claim, more deductible and that I would be canceled due to two claims in such a short time. Needless to say, I paid off bank loan and never had insurance again. Sailed boat from NY to Australia. Any work done did not amount to the amount of the cost of insurance wth deductibles.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 20:18   #34

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I spoke with Boat US about their freeze/ice damage coverage. They said they would cover any engine damage if a manufacturer approved engine heater was installed but failed because of a power loss. The agent I spoke with had to discuss this with her boss, then assured me they would, I want this in writing of course, but was wondering if anyone else has had any freeze damage experience with them.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 07:33   #35

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinowski View Post
I spoke with Boat US about their freeze/ice damage coverage. They said they would cover any engine damage if a manufacturer approved engine heater was installed but failed because of a power loss. The agent I spoke with had to discuss this with her boss, then assured me they would, I want this in writing of course, but was wondering if anyone else has had any freeze damage experience with them.
I fail to understand why anybody would want to trust a heater and insurance for freeze damage. Is draining the tanks or increasing the anti freeze protection so difficult? Personally I would not expect insurance to cover freeze damage on a seasonally laid up boat unless I took basic precautions. A sudden freeze is a different story. Of course freezing is a non issue here in the Keys.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 10:21   #36

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

talk to a supervisor and give them hell, after Sandy it was hard to get a good adjustor or yard but with the help of Brewers at Mamaroneck and talking to supervisors the boat got the repairs she needed, boat was a Lord Nelson 35
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 21:04   #37

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I've made notes. Just an update: I did have a couple of conversations with a supervisor, but since then it has been silent. I was supposed to get a call today about a check being sent, but did not hear anything.

Back in April when I stepped on the boat and was shocked to find the damage I found, I never thought that 7 months later barely any progress would have been made and what progress has occurred has been out of pocket.

We will see...
DancesWDolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 20:40   #38

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWDolphins View Post
Thanks to all. I am going to send all of this to the President of Boat US and see what their position is.
Guess you haven't read your latest Boat U.S. Magazine or other press:
Boat US President Margaret Bonds Podlich Steps Down
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 23:11   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
Guess you haven't read your latest Boat U.S. Magazine or other press:
Boat US President Margaret Bonds Podlich Steps Down
Lets see, 1996 – Warren Buffett purchases outstanding GEICO stock, making GEICO a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. 1999 – The beloved Gecko® makes his debut in a wildly popular GEICO ad campaign.

Then............Ownership of BoatUS transferred to Geico (trade article posted on April 29th, 2015)

So, maybe you need to write the Oracle of Omaha or, the beloved Gecko instead?

crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:33   #40

Update:

Less than 24 hours after my original post, a supervisor for Boat US called me. From my post, they were able to determine who I was and my claim.

He was very nice, apologetic, and actually listened to me. Within a week, we had the first check that the original representative said she was going to send, and the larger amount for the bulk of the claim that the supervisor said he was going to send.

Boat US understands my claim is not complete, and I have made sure I have not signed anything stating this - and have documentation that the claim is still open. At this point, the engine has not been inspected (too many wiring issues to test) and we are finding other items that were damaged has repairs have started.

For those following this because they are in the same "boat" : All is not great yet. The checks are issued to us and to our bank (I'm going to withhold that national bank's name at the moment). We have been in negotiations to get the bank to endorse and turn over the checks, as:

1. We are acting as our own General Contractors and thus, will disburse payments to contractors as needed.
2. We have already fronted a large amount of money to mitigate any further damage (per Boat US).

When we first contacted the bank to compete this process, we were not stonewalled: We were laughed at. The "Claims Loss" department of this bank - after 4 phone calls that each included offers to get a new credit card from them - we ended up with a supervisor that laughed at us and told us that "We (bank) own that boat, you don't" and "We will pay people when we feel like it". Yes - I'm quoting now.

Thankfully, the company I own has a long relationship with this bank and we have threatened to pull several major accounts from them. That seems to have put a cork in that supervisor, but we will see next week.

On the bright side: The riggers are working on the repairs to the mast and should have it ready in a couple of weeks. I've broken down the repairs for the other trades into workable projects and hope to have them competed in about 2 months.
DancesWDolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 10:57   #41

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Luders 36

Will Chubb cover me in the Bahamas? My current carrier said "only up to 75 miles off the coast".

Sailsarefull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance