Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2012, 17:39   #1
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30
Boat US

Hello can anyone tell me why Boat US would not come to help me?
Story is,, Me and my wife where headed out to the mooring field when i got swamped in the dingy I put my wife on a near by sailboat while i bailed the dink out, not having much luck because of the waves.I told my wife to call Boat US to tow us to my sailboat they told her on the phone we would need to sit in the swamped dingy while they towed us. We ended up calling a salvage company who towed us over about 100yrds and let us ride on deck for a $200 price.
Has anyone else experienced this from Boat US?

I was a member and Now a mad Member.
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 17:47   #2

Re: Boat US

Nope, I've used em maybe 4-5 times and been super happy every time. Could be the operator was quoting some corporate policy but the local operator would have done differently. When you call you get a nat'l telephone center, not the franchisee who actually does the work. They usually call you back when they are on their way out.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 17:50   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I'm pretty sure that you have a towing contract with BoatUS that pertains to your main boat. Does it say anywhere in that contract that your dinghy is included and that they will rescue you? I'm sure if they thought your safety was at stake they would have come, but what you describe sounds like a pretty routine cruising occurrence that I would never expect to be covered by towing insurance.
Old 28-11-2012, 18:16   #4

It covers you, not the boat.
Old 28-11-2012, 18:17   #5

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I'm pretty sure that you have a towing contract with BoatUS that pertains to your main boat. Does it say anywhere in that contract that your dinghy is included and that they will rescue you? I'm sure if they thought your safety was at stake they would have come, but what you describe sounds like a pretty routine cruising occurrence that I would never expect to be covered by towing insurance.
My understanding is that BoatUS covers you on whatever boat you are on, the policy is not tied to a particular vessel.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 18:21   #6

To the OP.

If it were me, I would send them the bill and ask to be reimbursed. Maybe just a nice polite note saying how disappointed you are and ask them . All they can do is say no.

They are generally a very good outfit.
Old 28-11-2012, 18:43   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Nope, I've used em maybe 4-5 times and been super happy every time. Could be the operator was quoting some corporate policy but the local operator would have done differently. When you call you get a nat'l telephone center, not the franchisee who actually does the work. They usually call you back when they are on their way out.
No it was the other way around.
Old 28-11-2012, 18:51   #8

I suggest going over to the operator for a short discussion. Everyone walks away more fully informed and you put a face with the name.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 22:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah964 View Post
No it was the other way around.
Well in that case maybe he was being lazy or something...

Either way I would suggest talking with em
Old 29-11-2012, 05:08   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Are you saying....

Boat US Disptch told you they would respond, but you would have to ride in the dinghy while it was towed and you refused their service and called another company?

Boat US covers any boat you own, ncluding your dinghy.

I worked for them for a little while... The Dispatch Centers are Regional, for instance in San Francisco the phone is answered by someone in LA. They usually have no boat experience and my guess is there was some sort of misunderstanding between the call center and your wife.

Normally, the owner has to be with the boat or they can't tow it, unless prior arragements have been made. That doesn't mean you have to ride on it during the tow and no Tow Boat Captain would risk his USCG License placing you in danger.

I would call or email Boat US and ask forthe call to be reviewed to see if the Dispatcher gave out bad information. They normally record everything.

Now the real question is, if there were near by sailboats, why didn't anyone in the anchorage help you, especially since you were only towed 100 yards?

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 19:52   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Are you saying....

Boat US Disptch told you they would respond, but you would have to ride in the dinghy while it was towed and you refused their service and called another company?

Boat US covers any boat you own, ncluding your dinghy.

I worked for them for a little while... The Dispatch Centers are Regional, for instance in San Francisco the phone is answered by someone in LA. They usually have no boat experience and my guess is there was some sort of misunderstanding between the call center and your wife.

Normally, the owner has to be with the boat or they can't tow it, unless prior arragements have been made. That doesn't mean you have to ride on it during the tow and no Tow Boat Captain would risk his USCG License placing you in danger.

I would call or email Boat US and ask forthe call to be reviewed to see if the Dispatcher gave out bad information. They normally record everything.

Now the real question is, if there were near by sailboats, why didn't anyone in the anchorage help you, especially since you were only towed 100 yards?
Yes I didnt want my wife towed in a sinking boat she was cold.No one came to help us I don't know why the guy next to the boat we where on wanted me to get off the sailboat idk people are jerks.
Old 29-11-2012, 20:08   #12

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

In hindsight, it might have been a good idea to just call BoatUS and ask for a tow. When the towboat arrives, the captain can make the determination that riding in the dingy is not a safe option and would allow you to ride on the tow boat. If you let them make the determination rather than requesting it, it might have worked out. They would have incurred more liability leaving you in a swamped dingy AFTER they arrived rather than the liability they would incur by refusing to dispatch a tow boat. Then again, hindsight is always 20/20.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 20:10   #13

Boat: csy 37

i think jeremiason said it all. why didn't any other sailors in the harbor offer their help? doesn't speak well of the key west boating community.

unless there were no other boaters in the vicinity, in which case, as roseanne rosannadana said, 'never mind!'.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote