Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2022, 00:56   #16

Re: Boat type/length vs speed

As said by most, very few boats will consistently meet your requirements but one that might is the HarryProa 60. If you manage to keep the weight down with a Disp/Lengt ratio fully loaded of <40 and a large very easily managed sail area that will permit late reefing, it could be driven hard and have a relatively soft ride, but will in all likelihood be wet.
Northwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 07:20   #17

Boat: S2-35C

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
1960 NM in 7 days is 280 NM per day.
An average of 11.7 knots.
To put that into perspective, the Sydney-Hobart race is about 628 NM. At 11.7 knots that would take about 54 hours or about 2¼ days. It wasn't until about the year 2000 that any boat managed that. None of the boats, including the 80+ ft racing yachts achieved that in 2021.

Basically, no cruising sailboat built for any degree of comfort will achieve that sort of average speed regardless of the number of hulls
That is too definitive a statement. The Dashow's apparently did 250-300+ mile days quite consistently. Of course this was on an 80' multi-million dollar yacht.

pas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 07:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited View Post
Hi Everyone!

I just crewed/crossed the Atlantic from Bermuda to Azores. 1960nm in 13 days, averaging 6-6.5kts or so. This was on a 42' mono.

I realized if I were to do it again, with friends who are not sailors, I'd probably want a more comfortable and faster boat. Plus, weather predictions are usually good for 1 week out. What length of a monohull would be able to do the trip in 7 days? What length of a catamaran could do it in 7 days as well?
Get yourself a High Performance Trimaran and hope for wind. The closest one with an interior is a Dragonfly 40 Carbon. It will do 24 knts. So 12 knots over a period of time would be doable. I doubt your friends would enjoy sailing at that speed due to the sudden acceleration.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 11:50   #19

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
...The fast skippers I have sailed with, seem to have complete disregard for the cost of replacing gear they break. Blown sails, broken fittings, 110% concentration on sailing 24/7 are all just part of sailing on the edge and for me take the enjoyment of being on the water.
Cheers
That kind of skipper is, thankfully, rare to the point of being virtually nonexistent. I've never actually met one or heard of anyone so characterized.

Yes, 100% concentration on sailing, and sailing at the maximum potential 24/7. That's what it takes to win races. Possibly that's what it takes to sail the Atlantic in seven days.

But complete disregard for gear or sail breakage? Nobody has that attitude.

If you push the boat things happen but good skippers, the best racing skippers, are constantly aware of the limits of their equipment and they avoid breakage at all times. It is not about cost (although cost is a factor); it is about the delays, dangers and loss of boat speed resulting from broken gear or loss of a critical sail. This is even more true of cruising skippers, even ones looking for a fast passage. Pushing past the limits and breaking things is a sign of incompetence.

But while pushing hard may not be your cup of tea, I enjoy it, and have for the 50 years I've been sailing, and now in my mid 70's, I still work the boat to keep it at its full potential 24/7. My wife is with me and recently she set a speed record on a leg of passage (10.5 max, over 8 average) When the passage is done we rest and play with the same intensity.

Now it's time for my nap.
Old 22-08-2022, 12:10   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I’m on the learning curve on sail power. I’ve got mine up to 12n funny as mentioned after a storm.
Sail I watched the Navy boat hold its own. Only 34-35’ in the water but heeling that’s get narrow and longer.

Power I get I have a toy Donzi 18. Overpowered with an LS3. With the current drive and huge trim tabs the hull is just to cut waves while the trim tabs and a half the prop are the only things in the water. The thin profile is like an airfoil THe danger is chine walk bouncing from one tab to the other resisting the twist of the surface prop.
Ditch the 18 ‘ Donzi and take out the 38 or 43’ much harder boat to chime walk despite its beam.
So I’m pretty retry much convinced I need a slightly bigger sailboat and north sails which don’t loose their shape.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 11:32   #21

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Sounds like a philosophical/theoretical question. The common sail cruisers can't guarantee you a point to point straight course speed of over 11kts. Sailors usually depends on weather, as far as I remember.

You can then go to all kind of super racers, super yachts with capable crew or most probably, to meet your criteria, a power cat with a decent tankage or a tanker as a chase vessel.

Bottom line: impractical
Old 23-08-2022, 12:29   #22

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

There's another way to passage to the Azores in 7 days. From Louisbourg, Nova Scotia to Flores is about 1320nm.

This approach minimizes time offshore and therefore weather risk.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 14:19   #23

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I think there is a hug difference between what a boat can and should do offshore. This was very much brought to mind when we crossed the Indian Ocean from Cocos-Keeling to Mauritius. We were broad reaching with 25 to 35 knots for a couple of days. Early in the trip we had one 200 mile day (Bristol 45.5) but I quickly dialled it back so we were doing 160-170 miles quite comfortably. When you are a 1000 miles from nowhere you really don't want to break something important.
Old 23-08-2022, 18:19   #24

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
There's another way to passage to the Azores in 7 days. From Louisbourg, Nova Scotia to Flores is about 1320nm.

Still only theoretical if you can take a straight course all the way at a wind and boat that can maintain an AVERAGE speed of 7.86 kts.
Old 23-08-2022, 18:59   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post

It's only 1250 from St John's.

And winds look good for that trip in April or September according to

https://www.pitufa.at/oceanwinds/ (180 NM/day should be do-able in a good vessel)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 21:08   #26

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Hi Everyone!

I just crewed/crossed the Atlantic from Bermuda to Azores. 1960nm in 13 days, averaging 6-6.5kts or so. This was on a 42' mono.

I realized if I were to do it again, with friends who are not sailors, I'd probably want a more comfortable and faster boat. Plus, weather predictions are usually good for 1 week out. What length of a monohull would be able to do the trip in 7 days? What length of a catamaran could do it in 7 days as well?
90-100' light to ultralight monohull.
Similar for multi's.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 21:10   #27

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
What about catamarans like Outremer or Gunboat? I hear they can easily do 15+kts.

I don't know much about Lagoons but I presume they can easily do 10+kts in fair conditions?
Those are peak speeds, not average speeds.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat