Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2010, 08:32   #1

Location: Sold the Full Moon in PR, now on St Simons Island, GA
Boat: Hunter, Deck Salon, 44, Fullmoon
Boat Survey Issues

I just had the survey done on the 2004 Hunter Deck Salon 44 foot. The following is what concerns me. A thru hull ball valve in the bilge hatch near the aft head door was leaking, the shower was leaking inside the inside head wall without the shower running, the door to the forward head would not close because the strike plate had been lowered and did not fit into the cutout in the door frame, the keel had deep gashes in the front, and on the back of the keel where it attaches to the hull the gelcoat was separated for about 4 inches. My non-professional thought is that the boat went hard aground and flexed, causing the separation, the leaks, and the door issue. I am interested in anyone's experience relating to this issue. I have to respond to the broker in the next couple of days. The surveyor did not make any of the above an issue. The broker is Whiteaker Yacht Sales and the boat is the Nan Sea in Osprey, FL. All input is appreciated.
Fullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 09:48   #2

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
The surveyor is working for you and should be able to tell you his/her opinion and recomendations on repair and the extent involved. That is why we hire them. Obviously there will be repairs needed. This can be used to your advantage possibly. There are questions to be answered and until you are either satisfied with the answers or are able to have the price adjusted accordingly you should proceede with caution. Getting the answers is the first step and the surveyor would be the place to start. Perhpas something can be worked out with the broker because of the new questions that have arisen as far as the timeline goes. They want it to sell so it should all be about making it work. For you and for them. Don't be too rushed.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 11:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

The leaky shower could just mean a hose has worked loose or something but I'm surprised the Surveyor did not make a lengthy report regarding the Keel ... especially if the keel itself is gashed... striking with such force can badly affect hull integrity...
One thing you should know is that there are two types of Surveyors... Sellers Surveyors and Buyers Surveyors.... one is more 'LAX' than the other....
Who recommended the Surveyor....
If your nervous take the loss of the fee and move on... its worth the peace of mind... no worrying every time it gets rough... or if things go bad after you've bought it... sitting wishing you "gone with your gut"...
And thats a major reason why your buying a boat I'd guess...
To Escape Stress...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 13:44   #4

Boat: Cal 39, Mark II -
Not to be a snob or anything, but these types of issues are difficult at best, for anyone, in particular with boats of this type. Based on what you've said, should we assume the the surveyor was not hired by you? If he/she was not, find another one... If you do not want to do that...walk away from that boat....Hunters do not do well having been run aground.....they are just not really well built boats, and if there are that many problems, in particular with the keel to hull bonding, you will thank me later.
Boomerang! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 15:42   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmoon View Post
. The surveyor did not make any of the above an issue.
I assume these things were noted in the survey report. A good surveyor would also list "recommendations" for every deficiency he finds. The recommendations should detail a course if action to remedy the problem. If this survey does not include any recommendations after listing those issues, stop; do not pass go. Get a new surveyor.

If he made no recommendations concerning those deficiencies, then you should ask him why he noted them in the first place. If he thinks there is something worth mentioning in his report, he is obligated to explain to you both what is wrong, and to make it right.
Old 13-02-2010, 16:34   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
It does sound like she was hard aground. What about posting some pictures of the keel, we have some very knowledgeable people here (some are surveyors!).
I have seen some bad groundings and that would translate to damage to the aft of the keel. What about the inside of the bilge fore and aft of the keel, how does it look?
I hope it all works out for you.
Cheers,
Erika

P.S. welcome to the forum.
Old 13-02-2010, 16:51   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
keel had deep gashes in the front, and on the back of the keel where it attaches to the hull the gelcoat was separated for about 4 inches.

The surveyor did not make any of the above an issue

If this were me, I'd fire the surveyor, report him to the accreditation group he belongs to and walk away from that boat.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 17:03   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Your surveyor sounds like mine. Paid by me but certainly not working for me.

Next time I will survey the boat myself.

Waste of time and money.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 17:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
The surveyor did not make any of the above an issue

If this were me, I'd fire the surveyor, report him to the accreditation group he belongs to and walk away from that boat.

100% +++ Agree. There are lots of boats out there.
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 05:57   #10

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Sounds like a headache to me - did you inspect the keel bolts I assume are used on this model?

If you still want this particular boat I'd get a yard professional to look at the keel and get a professional opinion. But IMHO there are lots of boats out there for sale - go find another....
Old 17-02-2010, 20:23   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
You are getting a lot of good advice. I agree.
regards,
Old 17-02-2010, 21:05   #12

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
yep walk away and before you look at another boat, do some research on a good surveyor, ask for some old samples of boats he surveyor before and make some calls to old clients if possible. Ask questions of them, like did you find more stuff later? big stuff? would you use him again. Remember no one license Surveyors, anyone can hang out a sign and away they go. Also if they are in accreditation group CALL and make sure they really are. Its the best money you will spend if you get the right person. good luck and walk away from the other boat, and when they try and pressure you just start to them " look I don't want the boat and it seems you are not listening to me, if thats the case why would I do any future work with someone who is not listening to me?" it shuts up any sales person.
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 01:22   #13

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
I was President of Global Marine Survey, Inc. (incoporated in both the US and Rep. of Panama) until I sold the company. The damage you describe can all relate to a hard grounding at speed. It is almost impossible to have "deep gashes in the front" without having collateral damage throughout the vessel, and it generally shows up in thru hull fittings, motor mounts, piping, and rigging attachments.

You have to ask yourself why you would even consider a boat with deep gashes in the hull. Good advice above...plenty of other boats around. Even if they dropped the price because of the damage, do you want to go to sea with flawed equipment? Do you want your wife and family aboard a flawed vessel?

Best of luck. Trust your instincts.