Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 17:29   #1

Boat: J80 & I-14
Boat storage in San Diego

I'm looking at buying a new boat -- trailerable with a 5.5ft draft. Right now I'm a member at MBYC but I'm not sure the dock hoist is tall enough to keep the boat on the hard and lift it in when I want.

Any recommendations out there for dry boat storage locations with a tall enough hoist? Or even just dry storage until I can get a slip somewhere...?
jtulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 18:29   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Boat storage in San Diego

For dry storage if you'll be on the hard for a while, look up San Diego Boat Movers. As amongst other things, they have a yard inland where one can store, & or work on their boats. Or they did as of last check. And it's a fair bit cheaper than anything by the water.

Also look into renting a lot in a light industrial yard, or some space in one if you find a company in one that has some extra room. That, or split one with another boat owner in your position, etc.
They're fenced lots, again, inland. Where you can just have a lot. Or phone, water, power, etc. as well. And I've rebuilt a few boats using them in SoCal as they were much cheaper than boatyards, & didn't mind dust & noise at odd hours.
Needs be, buy a cheap RV or mobile office for the site, & a porta-john. And poof, a place to live where you can build on the (relatively) cheap in SoCal.

PS: What size boat, what's she weigh, & what's her air draft with & without the spar?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:50   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if your boat is trailerable, you will save mucho dinero and stress by placing it on a trailer and hauling it to your home.
there is no reasonably priced storage in san diego, and nothing near water.
it is a couple of thousand dollars to haul your TRAILERABLE boat inland to el cajon and same to haul back to water, plus haul an dlaunch fees, which are stiff.
. you will pay rent of about 300 per month on hard. be smart. trailer your trailerable in a county with not enough places for people to reside much less losing dry storage yards, as has happened in san diego over the past 20 years. there is only one dry yard now, and it is in el cajon. -- san diego boat movers owns it.have fun. buy a trailer so you can control your own boat. good luck.
last i heard marina wait lists were years long. another option is renting a temp mooring in sd bay.

btw--kohler has a crane that works well on smaller boats for removal from water--in sd's commercial basin, aka americas cup harbor. he may still work with clients as far as keeping it less pricey...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:04   #4

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

Their are numerous fenced lots around Point Loma that you can rent space at. But know lifts attached to them. Their are 2 more do it yourself boat yard/storage yards, one in Calwestern in El Cajon the other in Fidlers Green Yacht Yard in Oceanside. No lifting services at Oceanside.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 17:18   #5

Boat: J80 & I-14

Thanks all -- yeah I know space in SD is increasingly non-existent. Boats already on a trailer so that part is good to go. I live in a townhouse though so keeping the boat at my place is a no go. I could probably get the trailer into my garage if I end up putting the boat in a slip, but definitely not the boat+trailer.

Boat is in great shape so I don't need to do any work on it really -- mostly just familiarizing myself with everything onboard and waiting until a slip or dry spot opens somewhere.

Long term, the cheapest option is to get dry space at my YC and hoist the boat in (or join a different club that has a bigger hoist) but there's even a waitlist for all of that. I think I'm really just going to need someplace to put the boat temporarily while I wait for space at my YC to open up (dry spot or slip).

I've seen some of those fenced lots on PL -- any clue who owns them? The temporary mooring might be an alternative the way to go. I also saw something -- Campland on the bay that is boat and RV storage...anyone know anything about that?
jtulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 17:34   #6

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

San Diego Boatworks manages the one between Scott st and Rosecrans further down the same side street I think Rigworks manages that one. Their is a open lot storage as you are heading towards SD yacht club across from Pacific Offshore rigging, Billy Fox the surveyor used to manage that one, not sure if he still does. But he should no who does.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego, storage