Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2020, 17:21   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Boat purchase in Florida from owner, no broker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
“Moral high ground”? Priceless, mate! Run your story past the state authorities and see just how valid your opinion is. By your own admission, you bought a boat and didn’t pay the required tax you yourself said you owed. Orange your favorite color?
I left one day late. What are you saying? You think that I am a crook? I haven't been back. You think I should pay Florida? Maybe there is a statute of limitations loophole...
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 20:00   #17

The most important document is a coast guard bill of sale. Start with that. Everything else is just paper.
motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 06:05   #18

To the OP...

There is a particular poster here who is advising you to violate the law. I am pretty certain that if you do, and you get caught, he is not going to offer to help you with your legal fees, or any fines you have to pay. I would think long and hard about that before deciding to take his advice.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 10:13   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
To the OP...

There is a particular poster here who is advising you to violate the law. I am pretty certain that if you do, and you get caught, he is not going to offer to help you with your legal fees, or any fines you have to pay. I would think long and hard about that before deciding to take his advice.
You also said this: "Technically, you are supposed to pay the sales tax immediately on a private sale. They collect the sales tax, however, when you register the boat. So the odds of getting caught -- assuming you don't hang around Florida for months and months -- are extremely small."

I was being more blunt with my advice. But really? Is there that much of a difference?
Old 26-08-2020, 12:04   #20

Conveniently cut off that quote just before I pointed out that the odds of getting caught are not zero, and so it might be best to go the legal route. So, yeah, quite a lot of difference.
Old 26-08-2020, 12:47   #21
cruiser

Fine. There are a lot of goody two shoes types on this forum. I am more of the outlaw type. But i still have morals. I don't think that the state of Florida has morals. So I try to live by my own rules. I am glad that I didn't pay the tax. I hope that I do not burn in hell for my "crime". But of course you are right, you all should always OBEY all rules and ALWAYS pay all of your taxes. Don't take advice from non-conformists. The government is always right!
Old 26-08-2020, 13:57   #22
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

I too used a marine documentation service. one thing we experienced was a delay in getting the required Coast Guard abstract due to government computers being down. my boat qualified for antique status in Florida which was very nice. good luck.
Old 27-08-2020, 06:11   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
I am glad that I didn't pay the tax. I hope that I do not burn in hell for my "crime".
That's fine for you. At least, so long as you are willing to man-up and face the consequences if you get caught. Your choice, your risk.

The problem is when you advise others to take that risk, without making it clear that it IS a risk, and that there CAN be pretty severe consequences. Just because you got away with it does not mean that they will (or that you will the next time). If you're not going to share the risk with them, then you need to let them know that following your advise could have some very negative consequences.

That is my objection to postings that advise other people to violate the law.
Old 27-08-2020, 06:28   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If you keep and consequently register in Florida you will pay the tax. We bought a boat on the hard in Florida several years ago and had it immediately trucked out of state. It’s destination state had the same tax rate, 6%. We paid so reciprocity was satisfied according to Florida rules at the time. If the destination state had a lower rate we would still have owed Florida the difference.

Not worth trying to mess with the tax man. Be thankful they don’t take it all.

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 06:33   #25
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Boat purchase in Florida from owner, no broker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Fine. There are a lot of goody two shoes types on this forum. I am more of the outlaw type. But i still have morals. I don't think that the state of Florida has morals. So I try to live by my own rules. I am glad that I didn't pay the tax. I hope that I do not burn in hell for my "crime". But of course you are right, you all should always OBEY all rules and ALWAYS pay all of your taxes. Don't take advice from non-conformists. The government is always right!

If you had morals you would have abided by the rules like everyone else does. What you did was illegal and if your unable to afford the taxes on the boat you obviously can’t afford boat ownership.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 08:09   #26
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
If you had morals you would have abided by the rules like everyone else does. What you did was illegal and if your unable to afford the taxes on the boat you obviously can’t afford boat ownership.

After Re reading maybe this post I made was a little harsh.
From what I read you purchased a boat in Fl with the intentions of moving it abroad before the sales tax was due. For some reason you weren’t able to leave in the given time frame and you were 1 day late, to me that’s perfectly understandable and maybe the tax authorities have a grace period? Either way it may have broken the law but maybe understandable.
What I don’t think is right is to come on a forum and suggest ways that are obviously illegal to save a few tax $’s. Hopefully people will have better judgement than to take this advice.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 08:20   #27

Sales and Use Taxes are privilege taxes. If one doesn't pay them, one is abusing the privilege to sale and to purchase goods and/or services. The rules are generally very explicit and they almost always have specific exemptions / waivers, or what some persons might call loopholes.

Similarly as VAT.

If one doesn't pay one's taxes that are due, one is shirking assuming their responsibilities and burden toward society.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, florida, purchase