Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2018, 04:19   #121

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Re: Boat length NOT increasing over the decades

LOA is not much of a true indication of this "boat lengthening." Now the builders are selling the bowsprit and swim platform.
The only time the bowsprit and swim platform come into play is renting or buy a slip.
The only meaningful length is WLL.
If I get a bowsprit 6 inches longer, or install a 4 ft swim platform doesnt have any meaning until the harbor master comes down to measure your boat's LOA so he can charge you more.
I had a N46 and then I added a 3ft swim platform. That makes it, in theory a 49 ft boat. And the title still documented it as a 46
My document AT34 by today's standards is the same as the AT36. If you have to pay taxes based upon the documented LOA, I like my boat better.
Another example, I have a slip titled as 75 ft. I put my 34ft boat in it. Does the county tax me for only the part I use? Yea right. They want the tax for the entire 75ft.
In conclusion, WLL is a better and truer measurement of a boat. If one is trying to determine IF boats are getting bigger, consider only WLL

Tags
boat