Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2022, 11:24   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Boat lender as insurance "loss payee", is it ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Marinas usually want to be "named insured" and not loss payee. This protects the marina in the event your boat is liable for damages to something or somebody. As a named insured your insurance covers the marina.

This is a pretty standard request even outside of the marina world. When our YC held events that required a municipal permit or used municipal grounds we would have to have them listed a named insured.
actually, you are correct. I stand corrected. The correct term is named insured. Shouldnít be posting when Iím rushing around.

I was still pretty shocked about it.
Chotu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:56   #17
cruiser

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

It is surely for a total loss and yes they will screw for as much as you let them.
Boat insurance is so you can get a slip in a marina. Thatís why itís reasonable cause it is useless unless you litigate and end up getting jacked in rates or worse.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:45   #18

Standard procedure.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 13:01   #19

Boat: Alerion Express 28

No, the owner is the sailor, the bank has a secured interest in the boat, which means any proceeds from a loss must first be applied to the loan. Ownership is a nebulous concept, as I learned in my first year property law class at law school.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 19:58   #20

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Well to be clear they want to be sure there damage to them gets covered too

Sorry my bad wrong term
Old 09-07-2022, 15:09   #21

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Very routine for pretty much any item that has a loan on it (cars, boats. planes, houses, etc.).First thing is to read your specific policy as companies write their own policies.

In most cases any check for a claim will be a joint check made out to you and your lender.

If the loss is total and the check is for more the lender will want the amount of the loan and you will get the rest.

If making repairs the lender will normally/often agree to have a two party check to you and the repair company. That way they know the repair will be paid for and you will have approved the repairs.

Of course the above is the "normal" or common procedure and no guarantee that you company will do that.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 19:26   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seafox 236cc, 13'6" Airboat, Silverton 453 (now looking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
The lender doesn't want to get involved if you have a claim for a repair. They want to make sure if the boat is totaled they aren't chasing you trying to recover money for their asset. They are protecting their interest. The boat is not yours until you pay off the loan. The boat belongs to the bank and you are just the caretaker until it is paid off.

Good luck with the new boat.

Foster
You got that right. Lenders dont care as long as you"re makin those psyments.
BuoyCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 19:40   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seafox 236cc, 13'6" Airboat, Silverton 453 (now looking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg222 View Post
Ok, thanks that makes a lot more sense to me. I'll also ask insurance agent to explain.
I was clueless a couple years ago about yacht insurance so I became an agent and made sailboats, motor yachts, and small boats my niche. Still learning as the amount of carriers shrinks to just a few...because they can. Its getting harder and harder but it is what it is. Alot of people are just getting the liability to satisfy the marinas of which some ask to be listed as "additional insured" so they are covered as well under you policy along with thier marina policy... double coverage for them. Some carriers tack on additonal premium to add the additional insured to. Anything to charge a little more. Def learned alot for when we move aboard. Good luck!
BuoyCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 09:26   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg222 View Post
I'm buying a used boat and planning to finance it. The finance company has told me the insurance for the boat must list the finance company as the "loss payee". I'm not familiar with that in my home insurance (maybe it is there but I'm not aware of it).

Has anyone had issues with insurance claims on financed boats where the money goes to the lender and then its a pain in the ass to get them to actually fund the repairs or other bad scenarios like that? Does the financial contract with the lender stipulate that they will actually use insurance claim $ to repair the boat.
If the boat is a total loss, and the boat is not repairable, then the Loss Payee [bank] listed on the policy gets paid the outstanding amount of the loan and you get the rest. And the insurance company get the title to the boat (if they choose to exercise that right). So you walk away with no outstanding debt to the bank, plus any equity you had built up.

If it is a partial loss claim, in which the boat is repairable, the Loss Payee does not come into play at all, since the insurance company will be making payments to the repair vendors (or you). So listing a Loss Payee will not affect the ability to repair the boat.

And yes, it is perfectly normal practice to list the bank as the Loss Payee. They won't usually give you a loan unless you do. They may also require you to have a minimum 2% hull deductible.
Old 22-07-2022, 15:32   #25

Boat: 55 fleming

That the lender requires that they be a named insured is standard if the boat is the collateral for the loan.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 17:43   #26

This is quite normal. They just want protect themselves. You will see this quite regularly. Marinas sometimes want to be ďnamed alsoĒ.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, insurance