Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 06:53   #1

Boat Insurances for Canadian Boat - US East Coast and Carabean

Hi,

We will travelling from North US (Vermont) to the Florida-Bahamas, Caribbean and Grenada, Panama, etc for the next 2 years.

Due to Covid, all the insurance brokers in Canada told us all that there are not allowed to insure the boat at this moment, that the market is locked. They usually used UK insurances.

Can anyone gives me a good and reliable insurance company to insure a 43ft, 2000 sailboat for around a 80k US value, for the East Coast of US and other area.

Thanks All!
NickBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 16:41   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Boat Insurances for Canadian Boat - US East Coast and Carabean

I dont have the link handy, but look up skippers plan by Gallagher. Somewhere east coast, I think. We have only dealt with them by email.
We have only been with them for a few months, our previous Insurance was underwritten by Lloyd's, and as you said they pulled out.
So far they have been easy to deal with
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:28   #3

ok, Thanks Chris... I will look with them!
Old 09-02-2021, 07:32   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
I dont have the link handy, but look up skippers plan by Gallagher. Somewhere east coast, I think. We have only dealt with them by email.
We have only been with them for a few months, our previous Insurance was underwritten by Lloyd's, and as you said they pulled out.
"Skippers Plan" is Toronto based so likely will have the same problem. I don't think there will be a 2021 cruising season same as 2020.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:52   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot / Venezia 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post

Here's Skipper's plan link, they are based in Toronto, but that does not mean they are good
http://skippersplan.com/

Right now I don't have a boat, so no insurance (your L42 TPI was my plan B. When my plan A fell, I ended up with no plan) but I have compiled a list of insurance brokers, Canadian and non Canadian. Here are some:

http://www.dolphininsurance.com/ based in BC
https://www.offshorerisk.com/en/ Non Canadian, Multiple locations
And, if you got refused every where, this one might help (at least what I heard)

https://edwardwilliam.com/ Based in Spain

Good luck

P.S Yes I am still looking for a cat, preferably not a condomaran and at a reasonable price (bellow 200K)
scargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 13:17   #6

Thanks,

I've tried with Skipper's from Galagher and there is a limitation for the first year.

For EdwardWilliam.. not sure If I will go with it, a lot are talking about a Scam company.

It's really not that easy to find something! Thanks all!

PS.
For a Catamaran under 200k, I know that Phase2Catamaran was for sale at 200k USD ... maybe with the Covid they can give you a special discount if this is still available...look at their Youtube Channel!
Old 21-07-2021, 11:13   #7

Boat: 2021 NEEL 47 (Hull #30)

I just got an email from Gallagher/skippers. They say that their underwriters will no longer do policies for south of the 40th. So basically, nowhere outside Canada.

My experience with Dolphin has been horrendous. Super slack replies and then excuses as to why. Only provides reasons as to why things are a problem and offers no solutions, then when I propose a so,tuition. They are all, “oh, that’s a good idea….”. So basically not a good broker. The only reason we persist is that they are so far the only ones who have not flat out told us no.

Just sent a request in to ORM as well, as we have 4 weeks ‘till boat delivery and I’m not sure dolphin can stop dithering in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBee View Post
Thanks,

I've tried with Skipper's from Galagher and there is a limitation for the first year.

For EdwardWilliam.. not sure If I will go with it, a lot are talking about a Scam company.

It's really not that easy to find something! Thanks all!

PS.
For a Catamaran under 200k, I know that Phase2Catamaran was for sale at 200k USD ... maybe with the Covid they can give you a special discount if this is still available...look at their Youtube Channel!
SVNagambie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, east coast, insurance