Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2021, 06:09   #1

Boat/House Lease Deal

Just looking to see if someone would find this idea interesting, Iím sure the trolls will have their say.

I have a house, about 1800/ft in Miami Fl. Has a pool and is located in a nice area, a few miles from most major attractions.

Miami rent is nuts, and I could aim to attract $3.5k month but the expenses are more like $2k.

Id be willing to rent it out at cost if some would be willing to lease their vessel with the same idea in mind.

Not a free house/boat swap but actually do leases for the properties. That way, insurance could be accounted for and if one party were to have a change of heart then they could adjust plans accordingly without necessarily affecting the other party.

Would anyone entertain the idea of leasing a house for a boat. 6-12 months agreement.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:23   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Boat/House Lease Deal

House insurance such that the property can be rented can be setup as itís not uncommon

For a private boater , maintaining cover where the boat is rented is very difficult to access as there is considerable moral hazard involved

Leases , ie a transfer of ownership can also bring specific issues for documented vessels , in a wasting asset like a boat you are into unknown depreciation or the requirement to return the asset as before the period , not easily done on a boat. These things are best left to Hertz
Old 02-07-2021, 06:58   #3

Re: Boat/House Lease Deal

I'm sure this arrangement could work informally with someone you know and trust... but as something you'd enter into with strangers? Way too many variables and potential hassles for me to ever consider. Maybe a friend of a friend. (But I'd never be a happy landlord in any event, so I'm probably not typical)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:40   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Whatís amusing , is over the years you always get ď hi I have a house , RV, etc ď want to swap with a boat.

You never get a boat owner looking for the reverse !!
Old 02-07-2021, 10:11   #5

Iím sure one could write up a contract to show an agreement for paying rent on a boat. A boat owner could also get another person added the boats policy.

Have the renter agree to paying for a separate umbrella policy or something specific for the situation. It would be expensive but still nothing compared to the commitment needed to find and buy a vessel.

Someone will sell the coverage just need to be forthcoming with your intentions.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lease