Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2020, 06:20   #1

Boat Delivery/Transportation Costs

As we are entering off-season for regions of the Northeast US I am seeing quite a few potential good deals showing up on the market.

Does anyone have any experience buying a boat and having it transported/delivered to another region of the US?

For context, I am primarily searching for boats in the 30-35’ range around the Annapolis area and getting it to anywhere in Florida (east coast). What options would I have and what would be the associated costs?

Thanks!
QuietlySwanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 06:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33 and OPB
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Boat Delivery/Transportation Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietlySwanky View Post
As we are entering off-season for regions of the Northeast US I am seeing quite a few potential good deals showing up on the market.

Does anyone have any experience buying a boat and having it transported/delivered to another region of the US?

For context, I am primarily searching for boats in the 30-35’ range around the Annapolis area and getting it to anywhere in Florida (east coast). What options would I have and what would be the associated costs?

Thanks!

That is an awkward size. Assuming it is a a sailboat- 30’ is likely cheaper to trailer. 35’ is on the smaller size for a delivery guy to move with a crew. I usually single hand the smaller ones.

PM me, and I will share some rough pricing.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael -a link to my delivery website is in my profile—
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 06:53   #3

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We had our 58 foot ketch trucked Ft Lauderdale to Michigan. As it turns out, I would have had to deem it not seaworthy for a water transport. That is often the case for used boats and delivery skippers. Unless you know the boat is capable it can turn into a box of poop in a hurry. You boat is not too big to truck but overland and delivery are sometimes close to the same cost.

BTW, if you are considering long transport you might also look on the Great Lakes. Lightly used boats with zero salt exposure. The water rout is fun and interesting. Here is the brokerage where we kept our boat until we sailed to the Caribbean.

https://torresen.com/boat-sales/brokerage-department/

These are nice folks, family run, very capable. They have some very nice listings right now. Line up an itinerary and take a drive around the lakes. Sail it out to the east coast in the spring or have it delivered.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 07:03   #4

PM'd you Snore.

Nicholson, thank you for the reply! I will be sure to look into that area as well. Unfortunately due to job constraints, I probably would not be able to move the boat myself as I really can only get away with long weekends.
QuietlySwanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 08:31   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietlySwanky View Post
PM'd you Snore.

Nicholson, thank you for the reply! I will be sure to look into that area as well. Unfortunately due to job constraints, I probably would not be able to move the boat myself as I really can only get away with long weekends.

Replied.

If you have questions let me know
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael -a link to my delivery website is in my profile—
Old 01-03-2021, 18:54   #6

Boat: Still searching

Snore,

I am also looking at a possible transport of an Island Packet 31 and am trying to figure out what a fair cost to truck it from Alabama to Virginia would be. Can you PM me any details you know about this?
SailingSeaGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 19:45   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingSeaGypsy View Post
Snore,

I am also looking at a possible transport of an Island Packet 31 and am trying to figure out what a fair cost to truck it from Alabama to Virginia would be. Can you PM me any details you know about this?
PM sent... next time please PM or email. I don’t always see follow ups to old posts
Old 02-03-2021, 21:08   #8

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

I just had my boat trucked from San Diego to Norfolk Virginia Feb last year. 43' pilothouse canoe stern. I packed all my stuff inside and I was 1000lbs overweight. Weird rule in some states because mast is separated from main "load". Could have been a messy issue if they stopped in the wrong weigh scale. I also couldn't get any taller and they had to take a route, accounting for the height. As such it required more in the way pilot's cars, # of pilot cars, wide load permits, and other fees permits in the various states it crossed.

Price was $ 12800. You can probably divide that by the mileage to get the per mile rate and apply it to your own distance for a rough cost estimate. They didn't give me an itemized list, but for planning purposes the extra fees and pilot cars for my move should give you a per mile rate on the higher side to give a slight cushion.

I got a quote for going back over to Seattle in case I retire that way. He said east to west was more expensive and that prices have been moving up every year. Estimated $15000-$17000 for Virginia to Seattle.

It also depends on what you work out with the hualling company. Typically they give you a price for both trips, from the pickup to the delivery and back with the truck. If you have enough time and set this up in advance then the hualling company may find a boat to make the return trip with so you only pay the one way. The other quote I received to truck it was a two way and was approx $23000 if I remember correctly.

I set my move up in July/August 2019 but I'm not sure what the minimum amount of time is to set this up. Truck left San Diego 08feb2020 and got to Norfolk 13feb. I suspect the more time the better, to give them time to work something out for the return trip.
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 21:20   #9

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

Pictures so you can compare size for such a move.

I seen a 30's ft boat getting loaded on a truck in San Diego when I was getting loaded. It was a weird gooseneck trailer/cradle. He was pulling with a diesel ram dually. I don't know it he was cheaper but I suspect since that trailer shouldn't be as expensive as the 50+ foot hydraulic boat trailer I was on that the cost would be more reasonable and more huallers of similar size to be a bit more competitive.

Sounded like regardless both drivers were kept pretty busy so there was plenty of business then.

Hope that helpsClick image for larger version

Name:	85008417_2684910624920873_3533238782876712960_n%20(1).jpg
Views:	26
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	233721Click image for larger version

Name:	86405676_193701565039453_7721757195641028608_n.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	233722
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:42   #10

Very interesting info, Alaskan. Had no idea it would be so reasonable in terms of price.

Sounds like you need to update your profile too!

Lovely boat - have fun cruising...Chesapeake and New England?

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:10   #11

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Last fall I had my new to me 42' sailboat boat transported from Florida to inland Georgia. About 500 miles. The cost was $4250 for the transport. Not including the travel lift charges to load and unload, rigging prep, etc.. I used Safeharbor Haulers and was very happy with Eric and the service he provided.

Good luck in your search.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, delivery