Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2020, 13:40   #31

Re: Boat and Personal Security in FL Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
That's like saying car crashes are nonsense because you've never been in one. I've never been in one but I don't disparage other people's experience with them.
Good analogy.

On the other hand, if you had been in a couple of crashes in the last couple of years, would you say that everyone has crashes all the time? No, of course not. That would be a silly exaggeration.

Just like it is a silly exaggeration to say that Florida is "full of thieves." Like anywhere, crime happens. Like anywhere, a little caution goes a long way in avoiding crime. It's unfortunate that you have been victimized several times. Personally, I've lived here for a total of 20 years now, and have been the victim of exactly ONE crime in all that time. Someone stole the license plate off of my car while it was in a parking lot.

My impression -- as a resident for 20 years -- is that Florida is NOT "full of thieves," but has about the same level of crime problems that you would expect anywhere else.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 14:26   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Lived in Florida all my life, parents had a six acre place in long Key growing up. Seen plenty of Florida up and down the coast. Sensible rules apply in any state or area where there is a higher crime rate. As long as it's not voting issues, Florida is no more dangerous than any other state.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 14:35   #33

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

25 year resident of SW Florida here.......... Been to Key West so many times I've lost count. I've arrived by car, plane, boat and RV. Never had anything stolen. Had a group of teens follow us down Ann St. one night, which is basically an alley, still no problems.

I see a lot of recommendations for Stock Island and the marina there is is nice. However, if your plan is to visit Key West for a few days or a week. My recommendation is to go right to Key West Bight Marina. Sure it will cost a few hundred dollars, but it puts you right in the middle of the action of Old Town. You can get a beer and burger at the Schooner Wharf for lunch and look out at your boat. You can get lobster and hogfish at the A&B Lobster House for dinner and look out at your boat.

You can stroll up and down Duval, day and night, drink as much as you want and just climb right on your boat at 3:00 am.

It's basically the Disney World of Florida for adults.........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 15:04   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
25 year resident of SW Florida here.......... Been to Key West so many times I've lost count. I've arrived by car, plane, boat and RV. Never had anything stolen. Had a group of teens follow us down Ann St. one night, which is basically an alley, still no problems.

I see a lot of recommendations for Stock Island and the marina there is is nice. However, if your plan is to visit Key West for a few days or a week. My recommendation is to go right to Key West Bight Marina. Sure it will cost a few hundred dollars, but it puts you right in the middle of the action of Old Town. You can get a beer and burger at the Schooner Wharf for lunch and look out at your boat. You can get lobster and hogfish at the A&B Lobster House for dinner and look out at your boat.

You can stroll up and down Duval, day and night, drink as much as you want and just climb right on your boat at 3:00 am.

It's basically the Disney World of Florida for adults.........

Absolutely.

If you're going to hang out in Key West, hang out in Key West.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 15:41   #35

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

If you going to spend a week by all means stay downtown. If you are going to spend the winter there it will get old fast. At Stock Island you can take it or leave it as you like.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 15:43   #36

Talking Re: Boat and Personal Security in FL Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Lived in Florida all my life, parents had a six acre place in long Key growing up. Seen plenty of Florida up and down the coast. Sensible rules apply in any state or area where there is a higher crime rate. As long as it's not voting issues, Florida is no more dangerous than any other state.
Agree with this, been in FL all my life & there are places I am careful but no different than any other place as I've traveled up and down the East Coast. I would say if you are repeatedly targeted then you would have to look at yourself as to why? Like is something being overly exposed or visible that has easy access . you got to ask why you're being targeted. People are seeing something. It's been my experience that most thieves have been there before and know what they're looking for. Sometimes it's random theft but that's kind of rare I believe truly.. if you look like a Target you will be one. Look at things from that perspective. For example I wouldn't want to go to Freeport Bahamas wearing a pair of 200 dollar sneakers. .. if they look poor and you look rich that makes you a Target. LOL it's a shame but that's just the way it is... most people are great though, there's always a butthead somewhere they are just a few and between just like anywhere else.. I've been to the Keys and I'll do it again!
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 02:45   #37

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Thanks for all the diverse comments. Sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun with an average level of risk which is fine. We're old (50's) so partying all day and night won't be an issue. We'll probably stay at least a few days to get the overall vibe, see what there is to see and enjoy some local cuisine. I appreciate the mooring and restaurant suggestions. I should have asked for those, but you guys came through like champs. If we end up at the creek south of Stock Island, we'll be sure to leave the Doritos locked up. HAHA!! We're really excited to cruise S. Florida for the first time and looking forward to some snorkeling, fishing and great land based adventures. If there is a link to a good thread on snorkeling locations, I'll take it. Thanks,
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 05:31   #38

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
If you’re going to stay in Marathon for more than a week or so, you’ll need transportation. The town is strung out along the highway and things can be a long way apart. Uber is not cheap: try $15 one way to Home Depot for a $5 part. It adds up if you get tired of eating or shopping within walking distance.
If you are paying $15 for an uber to go a little more than a block from the dinghy dock they saw you coming! If you don't have a car the City Marina offers bikes, or you can walk and get a taxi back which is $6 bridge to bridge. Which is how many do their grocery shopping here, walk to the store and taxi back. It is a little spread out, but I'd say it is better than most places. We've spent some time in Fort Myers Beach and even though things are relatively close the traffic is so bad during the season you're better off walking. Everywhere you go is there is good and bad, best part about cruising is if you don't like it you can move on the the next anchorage.
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 05:56   #39

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguerrero1971 View Post
If you are paying $15 for an uber to go a little more than a block from the dinghy dock they saw you coming! If you don't have a car the City Marina offers bikes, or you can walk and get a taxi back which is $6 bridge to bridge. Which is how many do their grocery shopping here, walk to the store and taxi back. It is a little spread out, but I'd say it is better than most places. We've spent some time in Fort Myers Beach and even though things are relatively close the traffic is so bad during the season you're better off walking. Everywhere you go is there is good and bad, best part about cruising is if you don't like it you can move on the the next anchorage.
We were staying in the southern most marina on the island at the time, can’t recall the name. I think it was 4 or 5 miles to HD and my bad hips preclude me from walking that far. We also stayed at White Marlin marina and it was not cheap to get anywhere either. We eventually bought a cheap motor scooter and keep it on the upper deck in front of the tender. Now we can shop and sightsee as much as we like for just a few cents of gas.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 05:58   #40

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
Thanks for all the diverse comments. Sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun with an average level of risk which is fine. We're old (50's) so partying all day and night won't be an issue. We'll probably stay at least a few days to get the overall vibe, see what there is to see and enjoy some local cuisine. I appreciate the mooring and restaurant suggestions. I should have asked for those, but you guys came through like champs. If we end up at the creek south of Stock Island, we'll be sure to leave the Doritos locked up. HAHA!! We're really excited to cruise S. Florida for the first time and looking forward to some snorkeling, fishing and great land based adventures. If there is a link to a good thread on snorkeling locations, I'll take it. Thanks,
Best snorkeling in the Keys is Looe Key, which from Key West Bight is about a 4 hr. sail. If you want to spend a couple days there consider anchoring in Newfound Harbour next to Picnic Island off RamRod Key. You should be able to find the anchorage on Active Captain watch your depths here it's shallow. It's a great place to hang out and just relax. Go provisioned though, because there isn't a good way to get to shore and to the store. Just off of Key West is Rock Key and Sand Key, I've not been to these, but there is supposed to be good snorkeling there. Then there is the Marquesas and Dry Tortugas, just watch your weather windows. It's great getting there but can be a bumpy ride getting back. Then there is what the locals call the backcountry, it's all the mangrove islands between Key West and Marathon on the Florida Bay side, pretty secluded, and shallow, but if you're looking for your own beach for a few days, it's where to head.

Hope this helps.
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 17:08   #41

sounds like Chicago. what do they have also in common?
Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 17:13   #42

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Don't get me wrong, folks.

I'm in Florida. I come here every winter. It's a great place and you should definitely come enjoy it. It's not dangerous to you physically (unless we are counting the nature).

What on saying is on the water crime is much higher here than anywhere else on the east coast. It is.

If you're on your boat, you'll be fine. If you leave anything unattended, you're going to possible lose some things.

Yes, it's full of thieves. More than any other area the East coast.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 17:27   #43
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We have cruised the west coast, east coast and the Florida Keys for the last 28 years. Never locked our boat and never had anything stolen. We do however lock our dinghy while shoreside in the Miami area.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 18:00   #44

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Good analogy.

On the other hand, if you had been in a couple of crashes in the last couple of years, would you say that everyone has crashes all the time? No, of course not. That would be a silly exaggeration.

Just like it is a silly exaggeration to say that Florida is "full of thieves." Like anywhere, crime happens. Like anywhere, a little caution goes a long way in avoiding crime. It's unfortunate that you have been victimized several times. Personally, I've lived here for a total of 20 years now, and have been the victim of exactly ONE crime in all that time. Someone stole the license plate off of my car while it was in a parking lot.

My impression -- as a resident for 20 years -- is that Florida is NOT "full of thieves," but has about the same level of crime problems that you would expect anywhere else.
Also good points.

I've noticed that on land crime is low. I'm on the water here and not often in marinas. So I've found on the water crime to be huge. I'm going to blame the boat bums and really stick a stick in the beehive. Ha ha. The crackheads you see all over the state in the derelict boats. However a few of my long list of thefts did take place at marinas.

I'm a very avid traveler of the east coast by water.

These issues do not exist outside of Florida. I'm hurrying through the middle states but in the entire northeast, you just need the painter rope to secure your dingy. A completely different world.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 18:22   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knots View Post
sounds like Chicago. what do they have also in common?
Nothing!

Tags
boat, security