Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Ever boarded with bad intentions?
Have you ever been physically boarded by possible thieves, while you were onboard?? 20 74.07%
If so, was there a physical altercation? 8 29.63%
If so, did the possible thieves display weapons? 5 18.52%
Not boarded - but had a dinghy stolen from the water? 9 33.33%
If you were boarded, did it occur in U.S. territorial waters? 3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2019, 14:34   #106

Boat: O'Day 40
Re: Boarded with bad intentions?

We were boarded at 2:30 am in a marina in Vancouver, BC. My wife is a light sleeper and woke me because she heard a noise. I, in my half asleep mode, thought it was a critter. (Living on dirt we'd had racoons, porcupines, bears etc)
I popped my head out the companionway hatch with a yell. Instead of a 4 legged critter there was a young man with bolt cutters who had just snipped the lock on our dinghy motor. He yelped in fright and jumped into a little inflatable being rowed by an accomplice. I grabbed my camera and started taking pictures as he yelled that they hadn't taken anything.

Talking to the marina manager I found out that 3 motors had been stolen in the previous week or so but they weren't warning people because they didn't want any bad publicity.
No more were stolen, possibly because they thought I actually had their picture but the back lighting shining on the water wiped out the faces.

I described the young man to my wife and she said he sounded just like the one she had seen on another boat in the marina. He was scanning the boats in the area for 10 minutes or so then left.

The scariest thing about the whole incident was that, if I had a gun, I would have shot him. No one should be killed for theft but I was in a rage because someone had the nerve to invade my domain. I was very glad I didn't have one.

In hindsight I should have just let him take and claimed the insurance. It was just a 4 Hp Tohatsu that needed a carb and wires etc.
Old 17-07-2019, 15:05   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Boarded with bad intentions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
And yet it is suggested here multiple times as the first line of defense to deter anyone from boarding in the first place.

As for the pricing different cruisers will have different views on that, but in any case it is still a pretty thorough example of a system, and the example could easily be used to piece together a DIY version at less cost if so desired.

In general the summary of this thread, to protect yourself, is mostly:

- a Light and Alarm System something like above
- a Stowed and Secured Boat to discourage opportunists
- a Restriction of Access to the Interior
- a Pepper / Beer Spray arsenal in the case of actual confrontation

Additionally all of the above seems to be within reasonably achievable levels of cost, practicality, ability, skill, etc.

I have no problem with the concept. Just nearly $400 is a lot of money for a motion sensing floodlight and an alarm siren

$17 bucks for the light
https://www.amazon.com/GLW-Waterproo...sr=1-8-catcorr
$9 for the alarm siren
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Contin...oding=UTF8&me=

These two I put together and just lay beside of the companionway and plug into the socket for the searchlight. 10W led is real bright and that alarm is annoyingly loud.

My belief is anything you use to deter a boarder best not appear that it’s primary purpose is as a weapon. A fish billy I believe is easily explained to not primarily be a weapon, in my opinion.
Old 17-07-2019, 15:25   #108

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
My belief is anything you use to deter a boarder best not appear that it’s primary purpose is as a weapon.
In some jurisdictions you're absolutely right.
Old 17-07-2019, 15:30   #109

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
And yet it is suggested here multiple times as the first line of defense to deter anyone from boarding in the first place.

As for the pricing different cruisers will have different views on that, but in any case it is still a pretty thorough example of a system, and the example could easily be used to piece together a DIY version at less cost if so desired.

In general the summary of this thread, to protect yourself, is mostly:

- a Light and Alarm System something like above
- a Stowed and Secured Boat to discourage opportunists
- a Restriction of Access to the Interior
- a Pepper / Beer Spray arsenal in the case of actual confrontation

Additionally all of the above seems to be within reasonably achievable levels of cost, practicality, ability, skill, etc.

I like the Beer Spray idea myself, of course that means you have to keep a mouthful of beer at all times.
Old 17-07-2019, 15:36   #110

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have no problem with the concept. Just nearly $400 is a lot of money for a motion sensing floodlight and an alarm siren

$17 bucks for the light
$9 for the alarm siren

These two I put together and just lay beside of the companionway and plug into the socket for the searchlight. 10W led is real bright and that alarm is annoyingly loud.

My belief is anything you use to deter a boarder best not appear that it’s primary purpose is as a weapon. A fish billy I believe is easily explained to not primarily be a weapon, in my opinion.
One of the big problems with these low cost solutions is false alarms. If the system has significant false alarms it will not get used. For an alarm system to be useful against intruders it needs to be turned at night a lot of the time. Yea, I know it sounds obvious, but most installed alarms do not even get turned on.

We have a strain gauge alarm system. It is mounted underdeck and detects anyone stepping on the swimstep, in front of the companionway or on the foredeck. Flagship Marine Security - Quality Boat Alarms
Old 17-07-2019, 16:20   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I like the Beer Spray idea myself, of course that means you have to keep a mouthful of beer at all times.

Do they have rum spray?
Old 17-07-2019, 16:35   #112

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:

$17 bucks for the light
$9 for the alarm siren

Are you somehow able to plug the siren directly into the motion light? If the motion detector beam was shooting at ankle height along the length of the cockpit floor, to the end of the cockpit, it might avoid a lot of random motion. Can't beat that price-
Old 17-07-2019, 17:14   #113
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If you are going to have a weapon try to think of something practical.

Like a short spear

Or a crossbow. Intended for "fishing," of course.
Old 17-07-2019, 17:26   #114
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
The scariest thing about the whole incident was that, if I had a gun, I would have shot him. No one should be killed for theft but I was in a rage because someone had the nerve to invade my domain. I was very glad I didn't have one.

And in Texas, you could:
Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 9.42. Deadly Force to Protect Property
A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property...

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-c...sect-9-42.html
I wonder if they still hang horse thieves in Texas?
Old 17-07-2019, 17:55   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
One of the big problems with these low cost solutions is false alarms. If the system has significant false alarms it will not get used. For an alarm system to be useful against intruders it needs to be turned at night a lot of the time. Yea, I know it sounds obvious, but most installed alarms do not even get turned on.

We have a strain gauge alarm system. It is mounted underdeck and detects anyone stepping on the swimstep, in front of the companionway or on the foredeck. Flagship Marine Security - Quality Boat Alarms

It’s the exact same motion sensor the $400 Pirate lights system uses.
Sensitivity is adjustable by an easy to adjust knob.
However mine as is, out of the box works perfect. You have to think these things are intended to turn the light on when a person is 50’ or so away, you might could get 8’ away in my cockpit, so it’s not being pushed to work in this manner.
Real, real easy to not false. As it only sees in the IR so a flag etc won’t set it off, it takes something warmer than the surroundings to move to set it off.
Exact same sensor is used in home alarms, in our house the cat wouldn’t set it off, but the 100 lb Chocolate Lab would.

Even if it’s junk, and it’s not your only put less than $20, not almost $400.
It would take two if you wanted to cover the front of the boat, but I figure that covering the cockpit is enough.

Nothing at all wrong with buying a quality professional alarm, nothing at all. Just if you want to scare a boarder away with a loud noise and light, you don’t need to spend $100’s. Now if you want a text message sent to your phone etc, that a different kind of thing entirely.
What I’m suggesting is one step above the carpet tacks, but not as nuts as electrified lifelines that’s usually suggested
Old 17-07-2019, 17:59   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmf View Post
flare guns or flares in general. It would be terrible top accidentally spill boiling oil from cooking all over them. not to mention all the soap knives in the galley.
HAAA!!!.. Nicely done. Great response to Soap Opera who will probably never encounter this situation
Old 17-07-2019, 18:00   #117

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
It’s the exact same motion sensor the $400 Pirate lights system uses.
Sensitivity is adjustable by an easy to adjust knob.
However mine as is, out of the box works perfect. You have to think these things are intended to turn the light on when a person is 50’ or so away, you might could get 8’ away in my cockpit, so it’s not being pushed to work in this manner.
Real, real easy to not false. As it only sees in the IR so a flag etc won’t set it off, it takes something warmer than the surroundings to move to set it off.
Exact same sensor is used in home alarms, in our house the cat wouldn’t set it off, but the 100 lb Chocolate Lab would.

Even if it’s junk, and it’s not your only put less than $20, not almost $400.
It would take two if you wanted to cover the front of the boat, but I figure that covering the cockpit is enough.
So do you use it most nights at anchor and if so, how many false alarms?
Old 17-07-2019, 18:10   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
So do you use it most nights at anchor and if so, how many false alarms?

I’ve left it on for a week or so and no false alarm yet, not one. However you “test” it ever time you go to unplug it or plug it in, cause both times it lights up.
I haven’t connected the siren yet though. I would know a false as with the companionway open the light lights the inside of the boat like someone is shining a searchlight on you, so it would wake me up no doubt.
However I’ve not yet been somewhere that I thought I needed an alarm, I see no Need to go to Nassau or Freeport etc.

However if for some reason I found myself anchored in St Vincent I’d want an alarm and I wouldn’t likely sleep well either.
However I try my best to avoid known trouble areas, just like there are parts of most any town depending on the time of night etc, that it’s just best to avoid.
Avoidance is I think the most effective solution.

It’s just a flood light with a cigarette lighter plug is all.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	196137
Old 17-07-2019, 18:18   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are three adjustments on it,
sensitivity,
time as in how long the light stays on,
lux, it doesn’t work in the daytime and you adjust how bright the outside light is for it to turn off.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	196138
Old 17-07-2019, 18:50   #120

How about electrified lifelines? Seems to work for farm animals.
Closed Thread