Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Ever boarded with bad intentions?
Have you ever been physically boarded by possible thieves, while you were onboard?? 20 74.07%
If so, was there a physical altercation? 8 29.63%
If so, did the possible thieves display weapons? 5 18.52%
Not boarded - but had a dinghy stolen from the water? 9 33.33%
If you were boarded, did it occur in U.S. territorial waters? 3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2019, 00:44   #91

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Boarded with bad intentions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKen View Post
Keep in mind the well known sailor Sir Peter Blake was murdered by an intruder on a well crewed yacht in Brazil.

He who turns the other cheek could end up having two black eyes as reward for his Christian charity
I'd rather two black eyes than dead

Interestingly, it wasn't that long ago that they caught his killer.............again.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americ...ars-on-the-run
Old 16-07-2019, 02:32   #92

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
A further semi-commercial security system option being developed which might be interesting for some cruisers:

https://www.piratelights.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateLightsWebSite
Pirate Lights Marine Security System is a boat security system. When intruders come on to a boat uninvited, they are met with 5000 lumens of light, and a deafening 130 db. of alarm. The Pirate Lights alarm will stun your intruder while alerting the boat owner of intruders. Whether anchored, or tied to the dock, Pirate Lights equates to having a full time security officer on board! The multifaceted system incorporates color changing lights creating ambiance lighting as a wonderful entertainment feature for parties and guests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I looked at that a year or two ago and quickly decided it was for people with more money than sense, there isn’t much to it, but look at the pricing !
And yet it is suggested here multiple times as the first line of defense to deter anyone from boarding in the first place.

As for the pricing different cruisers will have different views on that, but in any case it is still a pretty thorough example of a system, and the example could easily be used to piece together a DIY version at less cost if so desired.

In general the summary of this thread, to protect yourself, is mostly:

- a Light and Alarm System something like above
- a Stowed and Secured Boat to discourage opportunists
- a Restriction of Access to the Interior
- a Pepper / Beer Spray arsenal in the case of actual confrontation

Additionally all of the above seems to be within reasonably achievable levels of cost, practicality, ability, skill, etc.

Old 16-07-2019, 02:44   #93

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Also a new thread was started here today that some might want to add their thoughts to: Leopard 48 Security Bars / Polycarbonate - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 16-07-2019, 02:46   #94

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I looked into these guys too. The siren is hidden, and makes a debilitating tone that makes ya puke. It's what I'd install before leaving the Med, one in cockpit and another in the saloon, with a key fob controller for each in the locked aft cabin. Ain't no one hanging around with that. Ken, I think it would have even gotten rid of your bad boat guest ��

https://www.gostglobal.com/
Old 16-07-2019, 03:11   #95

@Soujourner Thanks for posting more realistic options rather than just 'discussion' as these threads often turn into.

I guess this is the relevant page from that site: Acoustics & Strobes https://www.gostglobal.com/boat-alar...kages/strobes/

Although that looks to be more towards what I am familiar with from large vessels, (eg: we also had pressure sensors in the deck as triggers) probably with similar pricing too, but everyone can make their own choice about cost, relevant to their boat and personal situation.
Old 16-07-2019, 03:36   #96
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
He also came out shooting, which causes an immediate escalation
And it would have been effective had his gun not jammed...
Old 16-07-2019, 04:23   #97

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

A friend was recently boarded in Spain. Luckily for the intruders he got away before being hit.

Trying to steel a dinghy is one thing. Anyone trying to get inside the boat or even into the cockpit is another. In that situation I’d treat it like a street fight. You are fighting for your life so must use all appropriate force.

Of course the very best defence is to avoid an encounter to begin with, but we all know it’s not always possible.

There have been many mentions of pepper spray and bear spray. I’m not sure were you’d expect those crossing from Europe or those already in the Caribbean to get those from.

I think my go to plan would be lights/noise, police/vhf mayday (your life is in danger), extreme violence.
Old 16-07-2019, 04:25   #98

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Where in Spain? Near gib?
Old 16-07-2019, 04:31   #99

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Where in Spain? Near gib?
Mallorca yesterday.
Old 16-07-2019, 04:47   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You have link to prove wasp spray is effective against people
I have personal experience to prove that it is NOT! This wasp spray nonsense is nothing but urban legend, perpetrated across the internet by people who believe anything they read.
Old 16-07-2019, 04:55   #101
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boarded with bad intentions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Boarded by a thief in Cabo Verde, Brava Island, Faja village. Day time.

There was some amount of physical contact involved when I threw him overboard. And then again as I had to become his Pamela Anderson when it turned out he could not swim.

Somehow I escaped getting locked up BUT they did charge us an arm and a leg (actually more like two arms and two legs) for potable water next morning on our departure. We never drank that water either as we knew it was POISONED. Or, as a minimum, spat into.

We never stopped again at CV for that reason.

b.
How did they fill your tank.. with buckets.???
I guess I must be just plain lucky.. from the Marmaris and Westward all the way to Perth I have never been boarded or had anything stolen from a boat I have owned or skippered.. did have a single aluminium dinghy oar stolen while tied to a dinghy dock but that I reckon was more likely a scurvy cruiser than a local.
Correction on boardings.. in Mallorca tourists on public docks did like climbing aboard to pose for photos on the bow.. I moor bow to.. presumably to brag about their 'sailing adventure' when they got home.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-07-2019, 05:41   #102

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
How did they fill your tank.. with buckets.???
I guess I must be just plain lucky.. from the Marmaris and Westward all the way to Perth I have never been boarded or had anything stolen from a boat I have owned or skippered.. did have a single aluminium dinghy oar stolen while tied to a dinghy dock but that I reckon was more likely a scurvy cruiser than a local.
Correction on boardings.. in Mallorca tourists on public docks did like climbing aboard to pose for photos on the bow.. I moor bow to.. presumably to brag about their 'sailing adventure' when they got home. [emoji3]
That's the main reality, very few cruisers ever get boarded, it's not common BUT of course the longer you do it and the more widely traveled one is the odds of getting boarded increase.
I see my companion way ss bars as being the same as a security door at home, I used to lock that door at night when I went to sleep as well as lock the house when we went out, precautionary insurance.
Old 16-07-2019, 05:58   #103

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The only time (thank God) you are the foreigner who just killed the local.
This.

Most westerners coming from relatively cosmopolitan cultures don’t recognize that familiar and tribal relationships are extensive and trump the purported rule of law. Guaranteed, any such injured intruder is the nephew of a politician and son of the chief of police. This means the yachtie is screwed.
Old 16-07-2019, 06:22   #104

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
This.

Most westerners coming from relatively cosmopolitan cultures don’t recognize that familiar and tribal relationships are extensive and trump the purported rule of law. Guaranteed, any such injured intruder is the nephew of a politician and son of the chief of police. This means the yachtie is screwed.
Yes, very true in Central American culture too...you just killed someones family member...regardless of why, retribution will likely follow.
Old 16-07-2019, 07:02   #105
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boarded with bad intentions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
That's the main reality, very few cruisers ever get boarded, it's not common BUT of course the longer you do it and the more widely traveled one is the odds of getting boarded increase.
I see my companion way ss bars as being the same as a security door at home, I used to lock that door at night when I went to sleep as well as lock the house when we went out, precautionary insurance.
Thats the thing, on land I take the precaution of locking doors etc.. on the boat very rarely unless in a marina..
mind you, I do prefer the longer dinghy ride to shore than the herd..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Closed Thread