Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2013, 14:14   #61

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
The Tayana 37 is a great blue water boat.
For under 15k? Forgive me if this sounds harsh, but I would stab anyone who got between me and a $15,000 Tayana 37.
Old 21-09-2013, 15:25   #62

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Bluewater Cruisers for under $15,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhetfield View Post
What is the cheapest that you could get a bluewater cruiser in good to excellent condition?
Contessa 32 New Build | Jeremy Rogers Limited

GBP 150k, pre cruising outfit. Say USD 200-250k USD for a proven bluewater design that fits your 30-40' limits.

Look, maybe if this world were full of 15k, 30-40' bluewater boats, it would be full of bluewater cruisers? It is not.

Not to get you off your track, perhaps if you start at the other end: build some skills, build some boat experience, look at many and varied versions of what others use to cross blue waters, then make some bluewater passages on other people's boats. Then get your own boat - knowing what it takes, and what it takes from you.

All the best,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 18:26   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bluewater Cruisers for under $15,000

There will always be 99 out of 100 folks who can find reasons why you can't do something... its so much easier than finding reasons why you can...
Also the size of ones Balls count a lot as well...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 19:05   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Contessa 32 New Build | Jeremy Rogers Limited

GBP 150k, pre cruising outfit. Say USD 200-250k USD for a proven bluewater design that fits your 30-40' limits.

Look, maybe if this world were full of 15k, 30-40' bluewater boats, it would be full of bluewater cruisers? It is not.

Not to get you off your track, perhaps if you start at the other end: build some skills, build some boat experience, look at many and varied versions of what others use to cross blue waters, then make some bluewater passages on other people's boats. Then get your own boat - knowing what it takes, and what it takes from you.

All the best,
b.
This sounds like the" slow dime way of thinking",then there is the "fast nickel way of thinking" if you want to go sailing get your own boat if you know thats what you want, otherwise you could spend your time and energy trying the slow dime approach and ask other folks if you can sail with them and build your experiance(I dont care to sail on other folks boats ,I want my own)The above advise is good if you have 150K but if not thats ok because there is more than one way to skin this "proverbial cat"..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 08:50   #65

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 11:23   #66

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
There will always be 99 out of 100 folks who can find reasons why you can't do something... its so much easier than finding reasons why you can...
Also the size of ones Balls count a lot as well...
+1
That's always been my motto. Somehow I've lasted more than 5 decades doing things you can't do.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 17:00   #67

Boat: Capital Newport 30

After going through the early looking and asking questions I've jumped. I too made the mistake of looking for a boat that included the B word in it's description. I dialed back the meter on what I thought I needed and ended up buying what I describe below. I will keep careful track of the expenditures and do a complete write up on my experience for the good of all.
Here's the starting point found on Craigslist for $2250.00
1974 Newport 30
Sound Hull, Standing Rigging and Sails
Marine A/C-Heat
Refrigeration
CNG system with oven
Universal diesel that runs well
Two VHF's and good ground tackle
Interior stripped before I bought it.
Work done so far is remove, clean and re-bed all deck hardware including bow and stearn rails for $200.00 labor and materials
Replaced starting battery and bought new charger $300.00
Replaced fixed windows with new lexan. 240.00 including labor
The interior will be replaced along with the running rigging, paint topside and bottom and rub rail.
I will do all the canvas and cushion work myself
I plan on doing most of this myself but I will hire some out.
Some of the less mocking posters have noted that you can't do anything until you get the experience you need and until then it's all a lot of talk and speculation. Aolele will be my school to teach me what I need to know. I may cruise her or sell her and get something else before taking off. My idea is even if I end up spending something like 8G's I've then just reached the value of the boat but it will all be new and done the way I want it. We will see. One of the issues central to the mocking crowd seems to be the labor costs. I will tell you I'm not spending $75 an hour to a guy in the yard. I asked around the dock and will pay $15 an hour to a retired craftsman that used to be that guy. Now he does it because he enjoys it and keeps him busy. The two guys that re-bed the deck hardware got $100.00 apiece and had it done in six hours flat...it's all solid as a rock. I don't know when I first discovered the idea of going cruising or penned my first post, I guess it's here somewhere but it's been a few years at least. It took me that long to get this far including moving to Florida which was my companies doing not mine. Take your time and don't be offended by the mockers and above all ignore the greatest enemy of progress...the almighty generalization.
Good Luck
jcknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 17:08   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bluewater Cruisers for under $15,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcknox View Post
After going through the early looking and asking questions I've jumped. I too made the mistake of looking for a boat that included the B word in it's description. I dialed back the meter on what I thought I needed and ended up buying what I describe below. I will keep careful track of the expenditures and do a complete write up on my experience for the good of all.
Here's the starting point found on Craigslist for $2250.00
1974 Newport 30
Sound Hull, Standing Rigging and Sails
Marine A/C-Heat
Refrigeration
CNG system with oven
Universal diesel that runs well
Two VHF's and good ground tackle
Interior stripped before I bought it.
Work done so far is remove, clean and re-bed all deck hardware including bow and stearn rails for $200.00 labor and materials
Replaced starting battery and bought new charger $300.00
Replaced fixed windows with new lexan. 240.00 including labor
The interior will be replaced along with the running rigging, paint topside and bottom and rub rail.
I will do all the canvas and cushion work myself
I plan on doing most of this myself but I will hire some out.
Some of the less mocking posters have noted that you can't do anything until you get the experience you need and until then it's all a lot of talk and speculation. Aolele will be my school to teach me what I need to know. I may cruise her or sell her and get something else before taking off. My idea is even if I end up spending something like 8G's I've then just reached the value of the boat but it will all be new and done the way I want it. We will see. One of the issues central to the mocking crowd seems to be the labor costs. I will tell you I'm not spending $75 an hour to a guy in the yard. I asked around the dock and will pay $15 an hour to a retired craftsman that used to be that guy. Now he does it because he enjoys it and keeps him busy. The two guys that re-bed the deck hardware got $100.00 apiece and had it done in six hours flat...it's all solid as a rock. I don't know when I first discovered the idea of going cruising or penned my first post, I guess it's here somewhere but it's been a few years at least. It took me that long to get this far including moving to Florida which was my companies doing not mine. Take your time and don't be offended by the mockers and above all ignore the greatest enemy of progress...the almighty generalization.
Good Luck
Great post mate... just proves what's possible if one puts their mind to it...
Best wishes for the program...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 17:21   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhetfield View Post
Hello

I'm new to this forum and here is my first post.

I intend to buy a 30' - 40' Bluewater Cruiser in the near future to begin a new chapter in my life.

I have some experience on boats however none of this is on sailboats. I intend to learn to sail over the next year while becoming familiar with whatever boat I buy through maintenance and short jaunts on the Northern California coast. Within a couple of years I would like to go southwest to Hawaii and beyond.

I want a strong hull that is seaworthy in nasty seas and capable to carry me around the world with my sailing skills.

I have a hundred questions but first I have to settle on a boat.

I would very much appreciate some input from experienced sailors / boat owners.

Kind Regards & Happy Sailing

James
The very nature of the original post suggests general ignorance of sailboats and their systems. "Ignorance" is not an insult, just a statement of fact. Any 15k, 40' sailboat used for "Hawaii and beyond" is going to be nothing more than a 100k (at least) project boat unless you are satisfied with something that floats and nothing more. If you can cruise and live happily with the amenities of a Thor Heyardahl ... go for it ! Otherwise a wake up call for what you can buy for 15k is in order.
Old 22-09-2013, 17:40   #70

If the OP is serious as I was then he or she will eventually come around to what they need right now to get where they eventually want to be. I didn't dare post for advice regarding my boat I have now because I knew what it would be. Instead I took what I had learned over the years of pouring over this board and made an educated decision. The OP will get there too given time and commitment. And you cannot deny with a straight face some replies here and to similar queries are simply insulting and derisive. I chose to offer my situation as an actual example to lend perspective.
Old 22-09-2013, 17:41   #71
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
40' really solid, "Bluewater Cruiser!" in excellent condition, with all new sails and navigation gear, everything you need, completely ready to sail away go for $200,000.

i have seen them at $100,000.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 17:53   #72

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
If the OP is serious as I was then he or she will eventually come around to what they need right now to get where they eventually want to be. I didn't dare post for advice regarding my boat I have now because I knew what it would be. Instead I took what I had learned over the years of pouring over this board and made an educated decision. The OP will get there too given time and commitment. And you cannot deny with a straight face some replies here and to similar queries are simply insulting and derisive. I chose to offer my situation as an actual example to lend perspective.
Yeah, but suggesting to buy a Motorhome instead was the best real advice given.. You can get nice ones for $10k. 1998 32ft with 30k miles, $12k

Old 22-09-2013, 18:10   #73

I'm a pilot and over the years have talked with many people that had an interest in aviation. Most had wild misconceptions about one thing or another regarding flying. I never once thought of telling them to look into something else just because of their misconceptions. Some seem to expect folks new to the idea of cruising or just owning a sailboat to have it all correct right off the bat. Why is that?
Old 22-09-2013, 18:13   #74
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
I'm a pilot and over the years have talked with many people that had an interest in aviation. Most had wild misconceptions about one thing or another regarding flying. I never once thought of telling them to look into something else just because of their misconceptions. Some seem to expect folks new to the idea of cruising or just owning a sailboat to have it all correct right off the bat. Why is that?
and if they said they want a Cessna 182 turbo for $15,000?
would you take them seriously?

BTW if you know of any ready-to-fly 182 turbos for $15,000 dont hold back :P
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 18:20   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Yes, some are taking a shot at the poster, however these shots are coming from people that know a little more than he does and while perhaps a little unpleasant are not without value.

I recently surveyed a 32' Sea Ray for a couple that purchased it without a survey, spent 15k on new upholstery and canvas and then found out they needed a survey for insurance ... I valued the boat at 2k for salvage value ! ( A Sandy surprise).

Maybe if some people had taken a few shots at them they would not have lost their shirts.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, water