Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2013, 14:16   #226

Boat: Beneteau 323
It's all back to boat design right? My PSC 34 is steered easily with the sails and tiller left untended (not locked) in light seas. Tried in up to 25kts so far. It's fun, and helps me understand my boat.

Wasn't the OP mainly interested in smaller, older boats with fuller keels? Now he us being lambasted because a 45' fin keeler couldn't be steered in rough seas? I don't think he ever said that. I don't think he has got a fair go. No wonder he got defensive.

I know I will get pounded for coming to his defense. What do I know? Nothing. Just don't like seeing a dog being beaten with a stick. Seems like there is a little bullying going on in this thread.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 14:29   #227

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Blue Water Boats ........Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
It's all back to boat design right? My PSC 34 is steered easily with the sails and tiller left untended (not locked) in light seas. Tried in up to 25kts so far. It's fun, and helps me understand my boat.

Wasn't the OP mainly interested in smaller, older boats with fuller keels? Now he us being lambasted because a 45' fin keeler couldn't be steered in rough seas? I don't think he ever said that. I don't think he has got a fair go. No wonder he got defensive.

I know I will get pounded for coming to his defense. What do I know? Nothing. Just don't like seeing a dog being beaten with a stick. Seems like there is a little bullying going on in this thread.
Hold on now. We are all thinking this over I believe. I was out today bobbing around for 5 hours in the heat. I wanted to cross the bay but once I got past the area near land where the temp difference makes the wind nice, it was slow going so I came back. I have other things I can do tomorrow, and it's hard to be the super sailor over one weekend.

The dude on the boat north of the Bahamas is thinking all this crap over. He didn't rule out that a different type boat may have been easier to handle.

He said they rigged a rudder but the waves knocked it off............tried drogue, sail combinations, etc, etc.

Tell us about your boat. I'm to tired to look it up, but I think it's one hell of a full keel (or long keel with protected rudder) boat right? This gets back to the book the guy recommended above which I ordered today.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 14:43   #228

Our boat has a cutaway keel and skeg hung rudder. It feels like an amazingly straight tracker compared to the 16-32ft Bene and Catalina's I've sailed. Looks part-submarine when in a slip next to a sailing condo (I mean Hunter).

I haven't sailed bigger boats really and have only sailed about 700 miles in our boat since May. I learned to sail on a wooden tri and a wooden cat (arafura cadet) in the tropics (PNG). But I love the feel of monos. Have a soft spot for Catalinas.
Old 29-06-2013, 15:09   #229

Quote:
Our boat has a cutaway keel and skeg hung rudder. It feels like an amazingly straight tracker compared to the 16-32ft Bene and Catalina's I've sailed. Looks part-submarine when in a slip next to a sailing condo (I mean Hunter).

I haven't sailed bigger boats really and have only sailed about 700 miles in our boat since May. I learned to sail on a wooden tri and a wooden cat (arafura cadet) in the tropics (PNG). But I love the feel of monos. Have a soft spot for Catalinas.
Awesome picture on that blog. Are you near Traverse City? I missed a Nationals Competition there in the early 2000's for the NACRA F-17 etc. due to a hurricane on the gulf coast.

I've decided to get a Hobie 16 (or 2) to race here and on the gulf coast. My son will pay for one. Btw, I found one for $1,000, beach wheels included.

I've had two before. You just cannot do much cruising on these big boats when you are working.

Btw, I looked at a Catalina 30 just last week. I've alway liked that boat. When i went down below though and looked at how much room there was, I was totally freaked out as compared to my Bristol and my idea idea an offshore boat. I know it wasn't made for that, but I just didn't get it. Too much width.

Hobie 16 fun:

you did notice that skipper pop up that windward rudder for for speed right?

Okay, let get back to the blue water bs.
Old 29-06-2013, 15:34   #230

Thanks.

As a kid I always wanted a Hobie 16.

Right now I am on a MegaBus after dropping off one daughter and picking up another from Minneapolis. Heading back to Detroit where my wife and 3yo are waiting with the boat.

Smart to hold off buying a cruising boat until you are good and ready. Too much money involved to jump the gun.
Old 29-06-2013, 16:02   #231

Quote:
Thanks.

Right now I am on a MegaBus after dropping off one daughter and picking up another from Minneapolis. Heading back to Detroit where my wife and 3yo are waiting with the boat.

Smart to hold off buying a cruising boat until you are good and ready. Too much money involved to jump the gun.
Actually, I already have a cruising boat. Paid $2,000 for it. Sorry folks I know you are tired of hearing this story

It's a great story though how I found it on the hard. It had been sitting for 5 years. The old salty sailor from Massachusetts left it on the Eastern Shore on his way back north after his 2 year sail to Florida. He had replaced everything that needed to be replaced before he left..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	63336   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	63337  

Old 29-06-2013, 16:15   #232

That's right... sorry... it was early on in this thread. Nice old boat.

A friend passed us a few days ago in Detroit on a Pearson Triton 28. He bought it for $3000, spent three years and another $3000 fixing it up, then left Duluth bound for the St Lawrence seaway on June 8th.

Similar boat to yours. Very tough. He has been pushing it hard through the Great Lakes. He said he was going to sell it on the East Coast and return to buy a 33 footer from a friend in Duluth.
Old 30-06-2013, 05:06   #233

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
All I know is this...... like I told Jim before, I'm not heave too expert. But I can turn your bow into the wind for you as long as the main will hold up.
Look at the boat keel and rudder below. This rudder is a fine foil that is paramount in keeping the boat sailing in the right direction. Stall the rudder or loose the rudder and the boat will round up. These style boats don't heave-to well. They do fore-reach just fine and effectively with their rudder.

Edit: OK, the pic won't post. Here's a link http://jboats.com/j46-tech-specs
Old 30-06-2013, 05:44   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Look at the boat keel and rudder below. This rudder is a fine foil that is paramount in keeping the boat sailing in the right direction. Stall the rudder or loose the rudder and the boat will round up. These style boats don't heave-to well. They do fore-reach just fine and effectively with their rudder.

Edit: OK, the pic won't post. Here's a link J/46 Offshore Cruising Technical Sailboat Specifications.
Now that's an aweome looking sailboat: another shot

J/46 Offshore Performance Cruising Sailboat.

I'll stay away from the heave too arguments. I can turn and hold boats on the start line probably even this one without rudder help for as long as our energy lasts. I realize that is different offshore when you could be in that situation for days.

But I'm confident I can turn it into the wind; you'd have to go adjust the jib for the heave too stuff. (while I go blow chucks etc) We may just have to wait it out for the weather to lay down some.

Btw, the "north of the Bahamas Guy" was on a 46' fin keel boat.

I don't know whether or not you saw this that I posted earlier : (sailing without a rudder page 106; see midway down the page)

Steve Colgate on Sailing - Stephen Colgate - Google Books

I did see another book where the guy said the boat you described are harder to deal with (sail) without the rudder.
Old 30-06-2013, 06:46   #235

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Now that's an aweome looking sailboat: another shot

J/46 Offshore Performance Cruising Sailboat.

I'll stay away from the heave too arguments. I can turn and hold boats on the start line probably even this one without rudder help for as long as our energy lasts. I realize that is different offshore when you could be in that situation for days.

But I'm confident I can turn it into the wind; you'd have to go adjust the jib for the heave too stuff. (while I go blow chucks etc) We may just have to wait it out for the weather to lay down some.

Btw, the "north of the Bahamas Guy" was on a 46' fin keel boat.

I don't know whether or not you saw this that I posted earlier : (sailing without a rudder page 106; see midway down the page)

Steve Colgate on Sailing - Stephen Colgate - Google Books

I did see another book where the guy said the boat you described are harder to deal with (sail) without the rudder.
Yea, I read the Colgate write up. Each boat, crew and conditions are going to require lots of experimenting. Hopefully you get where you need to go before the crew gets beyond their fatigue level.
Old 30-06-2013, 07:52   #236

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

"Could it be because we just buy a boat and get on with it... not sit in Forums for years splitting hairs", this from a guy with 10,000 + posts.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 08:00   #237
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
"Could it be because we just buy a boat and get on with it... not sit in Forums for years splitting hairs", this from a guy with 10,000 + posts.
That sounds like a quote from Boatman .

To be fair, during the time he has done those 10,000 odd(!) posts he has sailed to Australia (from USA) to Turkey (from UK), to North Africa (from Italy?) and I believe a few other places as well, possibly including a couple of additional transats to his existing CV.....whilst also living on a boat in Portugal......at present off on another delivery (from USA I think, forget where to!).........some folks can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Me on the other hand with 8000(?) odd posts has done next to SFA boat wise since I joined CF and not shy about it
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 08:52   #238
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Thanks.

Hobie 16 was the first boat I sailed on..We would rent one for 35.00 a day at Lake Norman from Daveys yacht club,went to rent it one day and Davy said the hull was separating on one side!! That didnt stop us until it sank in 60 ft of water!! The good ole days!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 10:57   #239

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

No ill will here. Just struck me funny.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 11:07   #240
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
No ill will here. Just struck me funny.
I only responded because not been on CF for long (and likely others reading) so likely missed many of his "adventures" as they happened - that and I thought the old sod was enroute somewhere by boat, but as posting on CF today clearly not .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water