Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2013, 15:09   #151

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Blue Water Boats ........Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I'm pretty sure he meant "with a locked rudder".
Of course I meant with a locked rudder! Hell, he could drift in otherwise with the tide then chunk over the anchor and let out all the line when he get near his destination and hope it holds.!
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 15:21   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Smart Admiral looking out for the vessel. People with big boats (who like their boat) don't sail into docks and risk the damage when there are so many other options available. Doesn't mean they can't do it, just that they are smart enough not to!
I keep forgetting some of you guys must have really beautiful boats while I'm cruising in and out on a boat that if I sink it or crash it into a piling or two it's no big deal. I've had a bridge or two jump out in front of me on my catamarans which were new so I know something about damage and repairs etc.

Hey Don,

Does this mean we are related?

Check out where my boat came from. This is how I found it. It had been sitting there for 5 years and there was no for sale sign on it. I just asked about it. And it was for sale? A very strange and very good day it was.

Looking at those pictures, that ain't much of a rudder there. Maybe if I set the sails a certain way ...............

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	63228   Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	63229  

Old 26-06-2013, 15:52   #153

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

[QUOTE=boatman61;1269048]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
As far as the lists of Blue Water/Offshore Boats, they do give you a good idea and they seem to always have lots of full keel boats of the Alberg/Folkboat design. And many times, they do not pick one from a certain manufacturer of this type boat they simply say all.............or a large range. So why is that?
QUOTE]

Likely because a lot/most of these lists were/are knocked up by old buga's who were sailing before the Production boats really kicked in... another reason is most are written by Americans..
Apart from Contessa's and Folkboats (great if you like Wet)... few if any other good Brit/French cruisers from the 60's-70's get mentioned...
Could it be because we just buy a boat and get on with it... not sit in Forums for years splitting hairs
Great post! AND TRUE!

All those guys thinking a bigger boat is better should check out this guy and his theory and approach to offshore sailing vessels

thesimplesailor.com, he sails, has sailed in the northern latitudes of Atlantic Ocean and Baltic sea in a 21ft boat that I believe boatman61 also has...

check out his videos on youtube, here one: ,

I just noticed that he too has no seen that a bigger boat at sea is better, he is modifying a 24ft boat now.

I am not saying he is right or wrong, I do however buy into his type of sailing. He also has actual video of a small boat crossing oceans with the right sailor, hard to argue with proof!
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 16:13   #154
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

Hey Don,

Does this mean we are related?
No!!!!
Old 26-06-2013, 16:23   #155
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=Cruiser2B;1270936
All those guys thinking a bigger boat is better should check out this guy and his theory and approach to offshore sailing vessels
[/QUOTE]

Once away from the dock I believe everyone, or close to everyone, will agree a bigger boat is better!!! That isn't really true; when at the dock a big boat is also great, only the coming and going is when you wish for a smaller boat.

I notice people who say otherwise always of course have small boats.

My wife and I aren't spring chickens, aren't fittness buffs, are over weight, etc. and never wish we had a smaller boat. Even with my heart attack this year I still take my boat ut alone and never wish for a smaller boat! A big boat just rides better and keeps one of of trouble better. And if you are a little worried about conditions, you reef and are still going fast.

People with bigger boats aren't pissed that others like smaller boats, but it seems a lot of smaller boat owners get pissed because others like bigger boats.

Heck there are even songs: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ats-91682.html
Old 26-06-2013, 16:34   #156

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Once away from the dock I believe everyone, or close to everyone, will agree a bigger boat is better!!! That isn't really true; when at the dock a big boat is also great, only the coming and going is when you wish for a smaller boat.

My wife and I aren't spring chickens, aren't fittness buffs, are over weight, etc. and never wish we had a smaller boat. Even with my heart attack this year I still take my boat ut alone and never wish for a smaller boat! A big boat just rides better and keeps one of of trouble better. And if you are a little worried about conditions, you reef and are still going fast.

People with bigger boats aren't pissed that others like smaller boats, but it seems a lot of smaller boat owners get pissed because others like bigger boats.

Heck there are even songs: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ats-91682.html
no one here is pissed...are you? I love my 30ft, would only get rid of her for a westsail 32...even then prolly not if ever faced with the decision. I know my boat, I am slowly refitting my boat to fit me....have no boat envy for the 40ft dock condo...do others? I don't know,sorry. Maybe you are speaking from experience and in that case you maybe right about your own situation.

you just stated it above, bigger boats are Better if it is to be insinuated that better means safer... well just isn't true. btw I doubt you will feel much difference in force 11 type winds from a 27ft to a 40ft boat....I was in a 100ft boat of atlantic coast in a gale...and it sucked...
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 17:49   #157

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:

Of course, why own a bigger boat than you want?

Big boats, little boats. It's all good.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 18:06   #158
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Water Boats ........Again.

[QUOTE=Cruiser2B;1270936]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Great post! AND TRUE!

thesimplesailor.com, he sails, has sailed in the northern latitudes of Atlantic Ocean and Baltic sea in a 21ft boat that I believe boatman61 also has...

check out his videos on youtube, here one: ,

I just noticed that he too has no seen that a bigger boat at sea is better, he is modifying a 24ft boat now.

I am not saying he is right or wrong, I do however buy into his type of sailing. He also has actual video of a small boat crossing oceans with the right sailor, hard to argue with proof!
Its an age thing... 4ft 6in headroom gets hard on the back in ones 60's...
Now considering 24-27ft... need the storage space...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 18:12   #159

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
btw I doubt you will feel much difference in force 11 type winds from a 27ft to a 40ft boat....I was in a 100ft boat of atlantic coast in a gale...and it sucked...
I have no doubt that you will feel the difference. The pitching angles up and down waves are a stark difference.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 18:57   #160

Boat: a sailing boat

The poster who said a rudderless boat can be sailed should go back into an Opti and try some.

It is very, VERY, difficult to steer a rudderless boat. In many cases it is actually impossible to control a boat that lost her rudder. The more modern the hull, the more difficult the exercise.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 22:26   #161

So, being the rookie around here, I have come to a determination. 1st, almost any boat is good as long as you can call it yours, 2nd, make sure you stock up on popcorn, people really like it, and 3rd, you must have a good, sturdy bucket.
cruiserbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 22:42   #162

I loved the Peterson 44 that I owned, but foredeck work out at sea was a damn site easier in my previous 37 foot boat. The only reason the foredeck work on the 26 footer that I crossed oceans on wasnt easier, was because the side decks were narrow. If you have the money, larger boats are overall the better thing to own, but they are not always easier to handle out at sea. A 17 foot whisker pole is a lot harder(more dangerous) to handle than a 12 foot pole. When things go wrong, the smaller boat is a lot easier to correct or save.___Just another of my 2 cents worth.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 03:03   #163

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbill View Post
So, being the rookie around here, I have come to a determination. 1st, almost any boat is good as long as you can call it yours, 2nd, make sure you stock up on popcorn, people really like it, and 3rd, you must have a good, sturdy bucket.
Hey Cruiserbill, for a rookie you have cottoned on really quickly .

Hope you are enjoying the forum .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 03:15   #164

Quote:

I like the smaller boats for the opposite reason. They do give you a workout. You can man handle them and unless it's really windy say nearing 20 knots I don't even use the winch handles. (plus we don't even have winches on small racing catamarans, but we do have around a 7 to 1 block on the main sheet)

On the weekends that I take a long bike ride or long run and cannot find the energy to sail, i'm thinking I'm not getting my money's worth out of my boat. Now if I had a big boat which say I paid $40,000 - $75,000 for and I didn't use it but a few times a month, I'd be thinking I wasted that money.

Now if I was retired, different story.

Like the other guy said, it's all good. My 20' 450lb NACRA 6.0 (with a crew of 2 trapped out) sure did ride better than that squirrelly 300lb singlehanded F17. So I can see where your bigger heavy boats are nice.

Note to Don's wife: he damn near had another heart attack just fooling around on the forum here this week. We got to get Uncle Don some chill pills. (uncle since we're related and all)

Also, I believe the song is "I like big BUTTS!

Old 27-06-2013, 03:31   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The poster who said a rudderless boat can be sailed should go back into an Opti and try some.

It is very, VERY, difficult to steer a rudderless boat. In many cases it is actually impossible to control a boat that lost her rudder. The more modern the hull, the more difficult the exercise.

b.
Let's try this scenario: Let's say I lost. (scratch that) Let's say you lost the rudder "somehow" off your big ole westsail 32. You are north of the Bahamas a couple hundred miles or so. So you throw up a couple head sails and drag a drogue off the stern. The wind is SE at 25 knots. I'm thinking you are headed home to America!.............sailing, steering, etc!

Tags
water