Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2013, 13:05   #46

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Block Island Anchor Drag/Tow $$$

Hi Tanksalot! Swallow your pride, pay the tow fee and move on. If you find the Good Samaritan boat, make sure you take the owners to a nice dinner while your boat is anchored at a marina. Take care!

Mauritz
Old 18-07-2013, 13:06   #47

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, as someone inexperienced in the East Coast form of holiday sailing, I'm surprised that no one has said something about simply managing the OP's boat until he returned.

Over the years we have seen similar things in more distant venues, where the fleet consists of longer term cruisers. The usual response is to either tie the boat off to another or to reanchor it... no thoughts of liability or salvage, just do something to limit or avoid damage and help ones fellow mariners. We all know that despite our expertise (whatever level that might be) we could be the next one on the end of the tow rope.

I am not condoning poor anchoring practice, just saying that there are (IMO) better ways of dealing with such a situation than calling for a tow boat without consulting the person who will be charged for the service.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim,

Cruisers always help each other when it hits the fan. Usually cruisers know the boats around them even if they do not know the owners well. Also once you're out there cruising, tow boats and repairs are hard to find and the community does all it can to help when needed.

But you have to understand that most of those in the Block Is. anchorage are not cruisers. Mostly weekenders and I've heard even some hard partiers! I would be reluctant to get involved with a dragging boat in these circumstances. Fending off or powering away from the dragging boat would probably be my response. I might even tie it off but I would be reluctant to re-anchor the boat. As you can see from this thread, the good Samaritan who tied up the OP's boat becomes the subject of speculation as to whether he/she did the right thing.

If I had the boat tied to me in these circumstances I would call the authorities and and have it towed. Poorly anchored boats are a menace.
Old 18-07-2013, 14:54   #48

Boat: contessa 32

BI is notorious for poor holding.
BI often gets quite breezy.
BiI keeps a Tow boat at the ready for all the dragging boats.
BI is the "Bermuda of the North."
BI is not the Bermuda of the North on July 4
That famous sailor,Yogi Berra said:" that place is so popular that nobody goes there anymore".
Old 18-07-2013, 15:16   #49

Boat: PETERSON 44
You just fed the wolf. Reasonable I might save your boat and hang it off my transom. Reasonable I might contact the port and explain what is going on. Reasonable that the tow service relieves me of the burden.
I am baffled at how many times I see a boat come into poor holding areas that are known, use poor scope because it was all they could do and bolt for shore. Another great example is the Annapolis anchorage. Countless times I have seen it. It's a known. Use good tackle good scope don't ditch the boat. Block is a pain and yep the wind blows through there. It can get pretty rough for a protected anchorage. That's known. Why would you anchor on a short scope in crap ground in a place like that. The wolf knows and will bite if you leave yourself open to being a dinner ticket.
Old 18-07-2013, 16:13   #50

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Block Island is notorious for dragging, full spectrum of boaters from experienced to "I just got this boat". I fended of a powerboat that dragged down on me, held him off with the soft handle end of a boat hook, while tapping on the hull with another boat hook soft end. He finally came out, and wanted to get in a fight because I was pushing on his boat with the boat hook. The fee is probably preset, due to the frequency of incidents happening, just like $500 parking tickets. They charge it because they can. It seems as if all the critical responses where made by people that have never dragged, never made any kind of mistake. Must be nice to never make an error in judgement, never make a mistake, or never be unlucky.
Old 18-07-2013, 16:27   #51

I've thought about that "crybaby" response, and had expected more from this forum than resorting to name-calling. But, my expectations, of both myself and others, are often unrealistic.

I REALLY do wish I could let it go, but one aspect of this bugs me. I seriously question the legitimacy of the charge, since the towboat driver was using salvage law when he didn't appear to have a right to. If my boat was drifting and in peril or a danger to others, and got picked up by the towboat driver, I'd be bitter but would be forced to accept the consequences. That's the law. But that's not what happened.

If I was in the Good Samaritan's position, I very possibly would have done the same thing, never in my wildest dreams imagining that the distressed vessel's owner would have to pay such a huge sum for the tow.

I've been to Block Island several times, but haven't ever heard of its' notoriety as a questionable anchorage until very recently. Hopefully this thread will educate some readers.

Tanksalot
Old 18-07-2013, 16:54   #52

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksalot View Post
I've thought about that "crybaby" response, and had expected more from this forum than resorting to name-calling. But, my expectations, of both myself and others, are often unrealistic.

I REALLY do wish I could let it go, but one aspect of this bugs me. I seriously question the legitimacy of the charge, since the towboat driver was using salvage law when he didn't appear to have a right to. If my boat was drifting and in peril or a danger to others, and got picked up by the towboat driver, I'd be bitter but would be forced to accept the consequences. That's the law. But that's not what happened.

If I was in the Good Samaritan's position, I very possibly would have done the same thing, never in my wildest dreams imagining that the distressed vessel's owner would have to pay such a huge sum for the tow.

I've been to Block Island several times, but haven't ever heard of its' notoriety as a questionable anchorage until very recently. Hopefully this thread will educate some readers.

Tanksalot
As others have already beat to death, you bear the responsibility and the burden and could have just as easily caused injury and harm to others by what could be called negligence.
Rather than solicit sympathy, time to turn on the introspection.

Parenthetical but may be indicative of something -you begin every para with the word "I".
Old 18-07-2013, 16:58   #53

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

ok, enough is enough here.. You clearly stated that you DELIBERATELY anchored unsafely, so you are completely at fault...accept it and move on.

If you consider $100 to be "reasonable" for a professional tow then you are completely out of touch with reality. By comparison, the boatyard here charges more than simply to take a boat from a slip to the haulout basin..

If you doubt the legitimacy of the fee, you had the option to not pay. You would, of course, have had your vessel impounded, gone to court, spent thousands, and lost... So, when you think of it like that $650 is a bargain.

Personally, I would be ok with paying $650 to know that my boat was safe, after i had screwed up...particularly when i could have damaged other vessels, and trashed my own.

Quote:

Tanksalot
Old 18-07-2013, 17:00   #54

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Block Island is notorious for dragging, full spectrum of boaters from experienced to "I just got this boat". I fended of a powerboat that dragged down on me, held him off with the soft handle end of a boat hook, while tapping on the hull with another boat hook soft end. He finally came out, and wanted to get in a fight because I was pushing on his boat with the boat hook. The fee is probably preset, due to the frequency of incidents happening, just like $500 parking tickets. They charge it because they can. It seems as if all the critical responses where made by people that have never dragged, never made any kind of mistake. Must be nice to never make an error in judgement, never make a mistake, or never be unlucky.
I don't think anyone here would say they have never made an error in judgement, or made a mistake, never dragged or have never been unlucky. The difference is most here take responsibility for our mistakes, learn a lesson, pay the price and move on.
Old 18-07-2013, 17:02   #55

I don't see a cry baby response. I think you have owned up. How gentle we are when others are saying I do not anchor with enough scope because that's the way it is astounded me. I have witnessed it and still baffles me.
Because you have been so honest. For the benefit of all explain how you came to anchor with a known poor scope in poor holding and left the boat. I could guess but you experienced this. What led to that choice
Old 18-07-2013, 17:23   #56

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

On a lighter note...decades ago, as a student pilot with about 30 flight hours, flying solo, I overflew a restricted air space that belonged to an air force base in Indiana. Within minutes, two chase planes appeared out of nowhere and flanked me until I cleared the base's airspace. Thankfully, ATC near Southbend saved my skin and vectored me in to Michiana airport; I was off-course by over 100 miles. It could have been a very costly mistake, dealing with the Air Force. We All Make Mistakes!

Mauritz
Old 18-07-2013, 17:36   #57

There are mistakes and then people do something they know won't work. What is behind this? I just did it anyway because it was as good as I could get it? . The op knew better and others have said oops I did the same. I am not saying I have not screwed up. But this is so obvious and they did it anyway. What was the thinking. Maybe someone can learn from this.
Old 18-07-2013, 17:58   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I don't see a cry baby response. I think you have owned up. How gentle we are when others are saying I do not anchor with enough scope because that's the way it is astounded me. I have witnessed it and still baffles me.
Because you have been so honest. For the benefit of all explain how you came to anchor with a known poor scope in poor holding and left the boat. I could guess but you experienced this. What led to that choice
It wasn't really a choice, but rather a confluence of circumstances. After anchoring with what I judged to be sufficient scope considering the crowded conditions, weather, wind and depth, my wife and I were on board for 5 hours without any indication of a problem. We would never, never have left if I had any suspicion that the anchor would not hold or was questionable. Doing so would have been grossly irresponsible, and there was also no way I could relax ashore if I wasn't certain the boat was safely anchored. At that time I had NO KNOWLEDGE of Block Island's notoriety as a poor holding ground, or I would have acted very differently.

I'm not in any way excusing the fact that I made an error. I'm questioning the legitimacy of using "salvage" to charge $675 for a 25 minute tow. Since I'm very unaware of reasonable towing charges, what would you have expected as a towing charge for picking up the boat?
Old 18-07-2013, 18:00   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Maybe someone can learn from this.
I certainly hope so.......I did. If it helps others, regardless of what my final costs are, at least some good will have come from my experience.
Old 18-07-2013, 18:14   #60

Boat: Catalina 310
Quote:
I offered the towing company $100, but was rebuffed. I've tried to locate the Good Samaratin, unsuccessfully. He deserves the most. The tow boat company doesn't deserve the $675 (IMHO), and I believe they knew that since their practice is to lock up boats that they've "salvaged" until the credit card charge is authorized.
Sorry man but the tow boat deserves every penny because they had to react to your stupid anchoring choice. You had full power to prevent this by learning how to anchor your boat safely and securely. You didn't therefore its your fault you are being charged for the tow.

Be thankful you have an older 27 foot boat. If you had a more expensive boat they probably would have gone after the salvage value as would be their right. (They might have an agreement with the harbor master to only charge a flat fee and not go after salvage claims).

Bottom line is that if you could not anchor with proper scope for what ever the reason but still chose to anchor in an unsafe and insecure manner you got what you deserved. Maybe even a little less.

Tags
anchor