Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2018, 04:00   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives
Bill of sale: how to

Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere else bud didn't find anything.

Considering that i'll probably sign a bill of sale for a boat that will be exported from the Usa, i can't afford doing any mistake.
Once the bill is signed by seller, me, as buyer, should i register/validade the document in some kind of office/lawyer or it's just enough what is signed between buyer and seller?

And another one: i am the buyer, but the boat will be registered in my father's name, so the bill of sale will be between seller and my father, however he will not be present during the transaction: is there any problem or need to produce any other documents from his side (ex, his ID)?
Thanks
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:07   #2

Re: Bill of sale: how to

If the boat is Coast Guard documented the seller will be using form cg-1340, bill of sale. Seller's signature needs to be notarized. Any bank will do notarization for free for their customers or just a few $ for non customers.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 13:06   #3

Re: Bill of sale: how to

In many states, a boat has a title (like a car) & the official, state-provided title, which has the requisite form on the back, has to be signed & witnessed. Notarized is not required, but can never hurt. After the sale, you must register the boat in your (father’s) name & get a new title from the state (most often mailed to you in 5-15 days).

I don’t know anything about formally exporting a boat from the US, but I bet it varies with the country of destination.

Hope that helps.

Tags
sale