Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2021, 13:34   #1

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
BEWARE of this Florida used sail dealer....

Fellow Mariners:

I am taking the time to warn you of a bad business transaction I recently had to potentially save you from the same poor treatment and potential large monetary loss that I experienced. I have never done this type of “reporting” before, but feel what happened to be so egregious as to make it known to the larger sailing community.

I inquired about a used sail from Atlantic Sail Traders of Sarasota. The written description was very limited so I asked if it possible to get some pictures. After multiple requests on my end and many broken promises to send them out, I was finally sent one (1) picture of the sail--from quite a distance. It was very hard to tell much about it from that picture, so I decided to just order it as their website clearly states: “We realize it is difficult to buy sails over the internet or phone, so we have the best return policy in the business. We do not want you to be stuck with a sail that you do not like or does not fit your boat. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with the sail PLEASE RETURN IT within 30 days of receipt. We will refund 100% of the price of the sail.”

I received the sail, and it did not fit my boat correctly (slightly too large//boom hitting hardtop). Returned it. Waited a few days and no sign of refund. Left a series of unanswered emails and voice messages asking for a reason for delay. No response. Finally was contacted and told I would receive a check in the mail. I asked why not just reverse the charges to my credit card and was told I requested a check be sent via mail (not true/never asked; I asked for some proof of this request and never got a reply.) Anyway, waited a week and of course no check in the mail. More emails and more calls asking for clarification--again with no response. Finally spoke to someone there and they said they were going to “discuss the refund at a management meeting the following day (Friday) at 4 pm” and they would “get back to me”. Was also asked why I didn't just didn't hire a rigger to relocate my boom fitting so the sail would fit. Was also told that I was the “first person in 9 years” to return a sail (???) Waited a few more days. No-one ever got back. No check. No reverse of payment back to credit card. Nothing.

Finally gave up on that course of action to get my payment back. Contacted Better Business Bureau of West Florida and filed a complaint. Contacted Visa and filled out a Cardholder Dispute Form. Finally....28 days after they received the sail back, I received a refund. Was told by Visa that if I had waited 2 more days to file my dispute they would have not helped me (30-day limit).

I have been sailing for many decades and have refurbished many older boats and purchased many used parts over the years, including used sails. Once in awhile there is a small issue when doing this, and I have always been able to resolve it. But a company blatantly refusing to issue a refund for close to a month without reason is not right, and I would advise caution when dealing with this company.

David W
Seattle, WA
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 13:57   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: BEWARE of this Florida used sail dealer....

Nice to hear a first hand account not afraid to name names.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, sail