Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2021, 15:38   #1

Better way to search boats while learning?

I'm 35, starting my 2-4 year plan running up to cruising....

So the question is, why don't yachtworld and the other sources I see allow you to search boats by the number of cabins/ heads, galley type, accomodations, and other particulars?

I love looking at boats and all that for fun but is there some reason sorting out boats is pretty much limited to type, length, price, brand and location? Oh, and the "Advanced" searches I see are hardly advanced IMO. Boats.com is better but has the same annoying inability to search like that.

Seems really.....primitive.

Already resigned myself to just wrinting out notes and particular boats I come accross that I feel have the layout I would really like.

Any thoughts or pointers?
CommonCoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 16:28   #2

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Better way to search boats while learning?

The search options are pretty limited, but alternatively once you spend hundreds of hours looking through pictures of thousands of boats and watching tons of boat tour videos on youtube, you get a pretty decent education of boat layouts and designs.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 17:10   #3

Thanks, I kinda figured that is the case but thought I might just be missing out on an awesome source somewhere..
Old 20-05-2021, 17:55   #4

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

Hmm. That would require an agreed upon standard for what a cabin was, and manufacturers would attempt to pad their stats by calling a storage closed an extra cabin. Additionally, like Craigslist has features that allow you to filter cars by fuel type. Not everyone puts a fuel type - and those cars are filtered out... even if they’re the ones you wanted. I would even go as far as to say almost no one completely fills out the form. If that’s the case, then it’s totally useless because it needlessly excludes half of the intended results or worse yet on a specialized search includes 100 times the intended results.
Old 20-05-2021, 18:29   #5

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonCoins View Post

Welcome. Glad you're here

Quote:

So the question is, why don't yachtworld and the other sources I see allow you to search boats by the number of cabins/ heads, galley type, accomodations, and other particulars?

While there are many things we all wish Yachtworld would do better, the reality is that the number of cabins/heads is mostly determined by size and make. Generally, serious cruisers want fewer cabins and heads. People who plan to offer their boat on the charter market want more cabins and heads even if that means the space is marginally usable. Typically a 37' boat will have one cabin, one head, and a quarterberth. Typically a 42' boat will have two or three cabins and one or two heads. The third cabin would be undesirable to most cruisers and a boon if the boat were on the charter market.

Quote:

The important things are:
  • Budget
  • How old is too old
  • Mono vs. cat
  • Goals of the make and model i.e. mass market coastal sailor, rtw cruiser, racer, slow fat comfy gunkholing platform
  • Draft
  • Useful space considering beam, length, and shape
  • Rig type sloop/cutter/ketch
  • Presence of inherent defects that cannot be corrected or that are so costly to correct as to rule out the boat in most cases e.g. Valiants from the blister era, certain iron keel boats, etc.
  • Condition and extent of back maintenance
  • Presence of optional systems that you might find useful for what you're doing e.g. watermaker, generator, solar, dinghy, hard dodger
  • Saildrive vs direct

Generally this sort of stuff is hard to search for, so you have to pick makes and models of interest to you and use that as a starting point. Once you're serious i.e. within 90 days of a purchase you may find it useful to work with a broker.
Old 20-05-2021, 23:52   #6

Quote:
So the question is, why don't yachtworld and the other sources I see allow you to search boats by the number of cabins/ heads, galley type, accommodations, and other particulars?
There are basically two reasons for it: First, they need to get useful data. The more a website asks for data from the seller, the more garbage you get, either because it confuses sellers, sellers try to gamble the system or they simply don't care. Second, the success by the site is predicted by the amount of boats they can show, not how comfortably potential buyers can find their dream-boat. So any search should return tons of options. To make it easy for you doesn't increase their cash-flow, it might even reduce it.
Quote:
Already resigned myself to just writing out notes and particular boats I come across that I feel have the layout I would really like.
I started to just bookmark boats in a tree-structure that helped and kept some notes on brands and types I definitely don't want. For example after the 10th Dehler I decided that Dehler doesn't produce boats for me.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 04:30   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Is there a Sailboat Guide, or some such?

There's a Powerboat Guide with probably hundreds of models, one-page description with basic specs and layout diagrams for each. Not particularly overly-indexed and there are some models out there in the world that haven't made the Guide... but at least the soft-copy version is keyword searchable.

-Chris
Old 21-05-2021, 05:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Better way to search boats while learning?

Quote:

I love looking at boats and all that for fun but is there some reason sorting out boats is pretty much limited to type, length, price, brand and location? Oh, and the "Advanced" searches I see are hardly advanced IMO. Boats.com is better but has the same annoying inability to search like that.

Seems really.....primitive.

Already resigned myself to just wrinting out notes and particular boats I come accross that I feel have the layout I would really like.

You see a boat your interested in, type its make and model number into this site and see what pops up..
Here's a Pearson 365 as an example..
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/pearson-365

For European models check here..
https://www.boat-specs.com/sailing/s...ds-shoal-draft
If you think finding a boat's hard work, wait till you've bought one..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 05:47   #9

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Is there a Sailboat Guide, or some such?

There's a Powerboat Guide with probably hundreds of models, one-page description with basic specs and layout diagrams for each. Not particularly overly-indexed and there are some models out there in the world that haven't made the Guide... but at least the soft-copy version is keyword searchable.

-Chris

Well, there's sailboatdata.com.
Old 21-05-2021, 07:58   #10

Awesome info, thank you all!!

The eventual boat will be a relatively large mono, 45-60 ft, 2 larger cabins and 2 heads, shallow enough draft for high quality anchorages in carribean. Other things too but not necessary to get into for the purpose of this thread...

I'd like to liveaboard cruise mostly the carribean and base myself out of FL. Budget wise will be a large swing bc I'd rather wait an extra year or two and be far more comfortable in the long run (financially and with the boat) and give the lifestyle a better chance to stick. Been around 40-55 ft powered yachts and day cruisers quite a lot through extended family. So fairly realistic on costs even though I'm unfamiliar with sailing on serious boats.

Not looking for a character building excercise on a smaller more budget friendly yacht lol

Mostly researching and planning the "boring" stuff but having a solid vision of the perfect boat keeps the dream alive. [emoji41]
Old 21-05-2021, 09:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Welcome. Glad you're here

While there are many things we all wish Yachtworld would do better, the reality is that the number of cabins/heads is mostly determined by size and make. Generally, serious cruisers want fewer cabins and heads. People who plan to offer their boat on the charter market want more cabins and heads even if that means the space is marginally usable. Typically a 37' boat will have one cabin, one head, and a quarterberth. Typically a 42' boat will have two or three cabins and one or two heads. The third cabin would be undesirable to most cruisers and a boon if the boat were on the charter market.
Some good overall advice... but must comment on your note that “serious” cruisers want fewer cabins... and that a third cabin is “undesirable”. I have spent way too much time uncomfortably hanging upside down - trying to reach items in the storage “pit” that many two cabin boats have. Or trying to climb down through the cockpit seat opening to retrieve an item in this cave! Conversely, I have seen many happy “serious” cruisers with “3-cabin” boats wherein the 3rd cabin is used as a huge storage closet. I’ve discovered that it is so much easier to access and organize items in this third cabin/storeroom - one that I can get to via a standard upright door. For this reason, I actually bought a 3 cabin boat and am glad I did. The standard advice that two cabin boats are “better” because they have more storage is entirely incorrect as soon as you realize that 3rd cabin does NOT have to have a mattress in it!

In regards to 1 vs 2 heads, there are arguments for both sides. In a 40’ or shorter boat, they do tend to take up valuable space. However, “serious” cruisers have also told me that they’d rather have two heads. The (usually) smaller head is used primarily for storage (bulky items, wet foulies, etc.), BUT also provides a ready backup when the primary head has an “issue”. Most keep this head a manual/sea-water model for simplicity and lack of need for power or fresh water.

Lastly, not all 3 cabin boats are “charter” boats. According to several dealers I spoke to over the last few years as we were transitioning from old boat to new, it is becoming more common for folks to order a 3 cabin due to their flexibility (though you will still find more 2 cabin boats out there). As with any purchase, it’s all about your needs, and the actual condition of the boat you are looking at.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 11:21   #12

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
.........why don't yachtworld and the other sources I see allow you to search boats by the number of cabins/ heads, galley type, accomodations, and other particulars?............Already resigned myself to just wrinting out notes and particular boats I come accross that I feel have the layout I would really like. Any thoughts or pointers?
In my opinion these boat listing sites do a pretty good job listing the number of cabins/heads, galley type, accommodations and other particulars. The photos also augment the description. They have met my expectations. If you keep looking you will start to see a trend, particularly by sail / power boat type, manufacturer, model and year. I have owned powerboats up to 56 feet with 2 cabins/2 heads, yet my Hunter 46 has 3 cabins/2 heads.

Please let us know your boat criteria and I am sure the forum can direct you in the right direction. In the meantime, have fun looking.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 12:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Some good overall advice... but must comment on your note that “serious” cruisers want fewer cabins... and that a third cabin is “undesirable”. I have spent way too much time uncomfortably hanging upside down - trying to reach items in the storage “pit” that many two cabin boats have. Or trying to climb down through the cockpit seat opening to retrieve an item in this cave! Conversely, I have seen many happy “serious” cruisers with “3-cabin” boats wherein the 3rd cabin is used as a huge storage closet. I’ve discovered that it is so much easier to access and organize items in this third cabin/storeroom - one that I can get to via a standard upright door. For this reason, I actually bought a 3 cabin boat and am glad I did. The standard advice that two cabin boats are “better” because they have more storage is entirely incorrect as soon as you realize that 3rd cabin does NOT have to have a mattress in it!

In regards to 1 vs 2 heads, there are arguments for both sides. In a 40’ or shorter boat, they do tend to take up valuable space. However, “serious” cruisers have also told me that they’d rather have two heads. The (usually) smaller head is used primarily for storage (bulky items, wet foulies, etc.), BUT also provides a ready backup when the primary head has an “issue”. Most keep this head a manual/sea-water model for simplicity and lack of need for power or fresh water.

Lastly, not all 3 cabin boats are “charter” boats. According to several dealers I spoke to over the last few years as we were transitioning from old boat to new, it is becoming more common for folks to order a 3 cabin due to their flexibility (though you will still find more 2 cabin boats out there). As with any purchase, it’s all about your needs, and the actual condition of the boat you are looking at.
I'm glad you made the point of simply using 'extra' rooms AS storage. Im for sure leaning on 2 cabins because I want the 2nd cabin to be big enough to host friends and family for longer time comfortably, almost like two master cabins, but will def keep that in mind. [emoji106]
Old 21-05-2021, 12:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
In my opinion these boat listing sites do a pretty good job listing the number of cabins/heads, galley type, accommodations and other particulars. The photos also augment the description. They have met my expectations. If you keep looking you will start to see a trend, particularly by sail / power boat type, manufacturer, model and year. I have owned powerboats up to 56 feet with 2 cabins/2 heads, yet my Hunter 46 has 3 cabins/2 heads.

Please let us know your boat criteria and I am sure the forum can direct you in the right direction. In the meantime, have fun looking.
Thanks, ill def be asking for more help on things like that when I get within sticking distance of actually buying a boat [emoji106]
Old 21-05-2021, 12:48   #15

Its like choosing and looking around for a girlfriend : with a general idea of age, height and weight limitations, suddenly some catch your attention, fires up your imagination. And than the brain kicks in to analise tecnical or circumstancial shortcomings, and maybe impediments, where experienced council might be valuable, although not mandatory.

Capt. Claus - ocean tramp of the eighties
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, boat, learning