Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2018, 14:57   #1

Beta 43

We're about to pull the trigger on a report of our cavalier 39 yacht. It's looking like a Beta 43 is the choice for us. Has anyone owned one of these? Anything that I should be aware of? Appreciate the general Beta v Yanmar v blah blah discussions and I've read every thread I can find. Just interested on owner opinions of the Beta 43.
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 15:28   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Beta 43

We have a Nanni 43 which I believe to be based on the same Kubota engine as the Beta 43. It is now 28 years and ~5K hours old, still smokeless, essentially no oil consumption, starts first rev and has given excellent service. Services required beyond normal oil changes, etc, are seals and bearings in the water pump">raw water pump every 1-2 k hours and replacement of an o-ring seal on one injector. Also a failed connector in the umbilical to the instrument panel, but I think that is a Nanni issue, not a Kubota thing.

A very good engine for us.

Jim
Old 12-01-2018, 19:25   #3

Repower not report... Sorry... predictive text arghhh!.
Thanks Jim
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 19:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
We have a Nanni 43 which I believe to be based on the same Kubota engine as the Beta 43. It is now 28 years and ~5K hours old, still smokeless, essentially no oil consumption, starts first rev and has given excellent service. Services required beyond normal oil changes, etc, are seals and bearings in the raw water pump every 1-2 k hours and replacement of an o-ring seal on one injector. Also a failed connector in the umbilical to the instrument panel, but I think that is a Nanni issue, not a Kubota thing.

A very good engine for us.

Jim
Jim, how are you going with access to spares and prices? I heard that Nanni were pretty expensive .
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 19:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Jim, how are you going with access to spares and prices? I heard that Nanni were pretty expensive .
Only parts I've ever bought from Nanni were seals for the raw water pump. Foolishly thought they couldn't be too damn bad, and I could get them in hand before stripping down the pump. They were over 20 bucks each!!! The exact same item (brand and part number) that I then purchased from the local bearing supply house for around 2 bucks each for each of the later rebuilds.

Lesson learned! But I suspect that all the engine mfgs (or marinizers to be more accurate) have the same rapacious practices. Proper engine parts can be sourced from your friendly Kubota tractor supply house and at much better prices... it's the marinization bits that getcha.

Jim
Old 12-01-2018, 19:54   #6

Thanks, the story I heard was that Beta were a lot more humane about spares prices, even though they use the same base engine as Nanni.

I looked at a boat with a Nanni recently, hence my interest.

Current boat has a Volvo, so it’s all relative I guess.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 19:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Thanks, the story I heard was that Beta were a lot more humane about spares prices, even though they use the same base engine as Nanni.

I looked at a boat with a Nanni recently, hence my interest.

Current boat has a Volvo, so it’s all relative I guess.
Perhaps that story comes from the fact that Beta is very good about helping customers source engine parts from Kubota. I've not heard anything about the prices for their marinization bits.

Nanni for sure will not help you with saving money on anything! But, we've had good luck with the engine and are quite happy with it. (Surreptitiously touching wood under the saloon table!)

Jim