Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2022, 23:13   #46

Boat: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Re: Best Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I have a friend whose prize bar possession is a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue, which he will drag out only on special occasions.

At $200 something per bottle...

Being an old rummy, the hoopla surrounding whiskey is beyond my pay scale to appreciate, but I enjoy reading this thread.
In defense of whiskey/whisky vs. rum/rhum, it is totally possible to buy a $200 bottle of the latter.

I think there's good & bad versions of both at $10, $20, $30... beyond that they're usually all decent, maybe more or less interesting.

It's like everything though - $200 booze is not 20x better than $10 booze any more than a $400k Ferrari is 20x better than a $20k Civic. Can be nice for a special occasion though if you've got lots of $$.
Junglebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 04:39   #47
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=MicHughV;3614855]I have a friend whose prize bar possession is a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue, which he will drag out only on special occasions.
I'm not a whiskey drinker, so I couldn't not say whether this was good or bad stuff,
OTE]

I once lined up glasses of Johnie Walkie Black, Green, Gold and Blue, I couldn't really tell the difference between them
Old 29-04-2022, 05:43   #48

Boat: Looking to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglebike View Post
In defense of whiskey/whisky vs. rum/rhum, it is totally possible to buy a $200 bottle of the latter.

I think there's good & bad versions of both at $10, $20, $30... beyond that they're usually all decent, maybe more or less interesting.

It's like everything though - $200 booze is not 20x better than $10 booze any more than a $400k Ferrari is 20x better than a $20k Civic. Can be nice for a special occasion though if you've got lots of $$.

Well sometimes it is better, but most of the time, it's the name on it that you pay $$$ for.

I would normally buy a $15 Port Tawny that was good and from the same brand, the $30 one was excellent, but one day decided to pay myself a treat, so I purchased the $80 one from another hyped up brand, bad idea.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 05:54   #49

According to Early Cuyler, any party liquor will do. Woooo, baby!
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 06:41   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I was never really much into spirits of any kind...loved my beer though....Heineken...

On my first trip to the Bahamas, I discovered rum was cheaper than beer, and developed a taste for it....Ron Matusalem was my poison...

Once in a while, I would try a whiskey if it was offered to me, but would never purchase it.

My dad liked whiskey.
In my younger days, every afternoon, right about 5pm, a jet would fly over our house and he would remark " the Boeing has just flown over", which was my cue to pour him a shot of whiskey.

Picking a xmas gift for him became simple.....whiskey....various brands that I don't recall.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 07:01   #51

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Talisker or Oban, neat with a small ice cube to chill.

But normally I drink G&Ts -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 07:06   #52

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

We Canadian are such bad asses.
Rhum pricing Eldorado 50 year is $4,950.00 CDN
Eldorado 25 year is hovering around $400.00 I d match their 15 to any scotch.

I had a few 21 year and hid them with the port also up there.

I had a filthy rich client gave me a shot of scotch was pure heaven. Smooth one drop of ice water. I parked behind his Bentley Sport so I’m not sure if he was a real scotch lover. He let me know I couldn’t afford the scotch. I have scotch and Whiskey for friends. The Bourbon and Rhum is all mine.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 07:11   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Thought I would peruse YouTube to see if I could get a handle on Whisk(e)y.

Lordy, lordy....every Tom, Dick and Harry seems to have an opinion on this, comparisons out the wazoo. YouTube is flooded with "experts".....

Rum "experts" are there in equal numbers..

People certainly have their opinion on which is best, but finding a consensus is nigh on impossible.

But I get it.....I'm quite picky on the beer I chose to drink. There are beers out there which will never touch my lips, and small handful that I will.

I have friends that make their own beer in a shack, likely the best I've ever had. So who is to say what's best.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 07:18   #54

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
So who is to say what's best.
Liquor, beer wine... there is only one rule:

'Drink what you like'.
Old 29-04-2022, 07:21   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I once lined up glasses of Johnie Walkie Black, Green, Gold and Blue, I couldn't really tell the difference between them
Did you taste them, or drink them?

There is a difference.
Old 29-04-2022, 08:03   #56
CLOD

Boat: none

I sipped

Meanwhile at the start of this thread i was drinking a local mirco distillery that $65/bottle. Now that i gone through half the bottle i can say i dont like as well as regular Jack Daniels
Old 29-04-2022, 08:17   #57

Boat: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler

Quote:
I sipped

Meanwhile at the start of this thread i was drinking a local mirco distillery that $65/bottle. Now that i gone through half the bottle i can say i dont like as well as regular Jack Daniels
Nothing wrong with JD! Jim Beam is just for mixing tho IMHO.

I keep finding that with my Elijah Craig Small Batch - usually $20/bottle or so. Every time I get a fancy bottle I do a blind taste test & almost always pick it.
Junglebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 08:33   #58

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
What is the best whiskey for having aboard your sailing yacht along with the proper mixers for cockpit sundowners?

Feel free to specify whether your choice is for blazer wearing events, average boat scum get togethers, boat scum scum gatherings, and the brown paper bag drinkers anchored under the bridge.
laphroaig or Talisker would be my choices, and mixing them is heresy

for mixing cocktails I generally prefer a rye anyway, for a little more bite. Bulleit is decent for this.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 08:40   #59

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglebike View Post

Disagree on that comparison entirely. But.....first you have to define "better".

That is an argument I have regularly with my clients. People use the terms better/best without qualifying it. Everyone has different requirements, what's better for one, is not better for another.

In my case that F car is definitely 20x better than the Honda.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 08:44   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
laphroaig or Talisker would be my choices
If you like Laphroaig, see if you can find Penderyn Peated.

There's a funny story that Penderyn put their spirit in Laphoraig barrels by mistake, and didn't realize it until they cracked the casks for tasting months later. As they didn't want to make 'scotch' and couldn't afford to dump it, they sold it as a 'limited' offering... it became their second best seller.