Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2018, 10:25   #31

Re: Best way to get cell service in Bahamas?

I have three phones on T Mobile with unlimited text, talk and data for $80/month including taxes and fees with no contract. This includes world wide service. I think they still call it their "One" service. I have a quad band unlocked phone that is of dubious quality - the Google/LG Nexus 5X, but so far it has worked very well in the US, Canada, South Korea, and China without a hiccup. I think they charged me $10 for something when I was in China for two weeks this year, no complaints. The phone service just works. When I arrived in South Korea, my phone said; Welcome to South Korea... When I went to Canada it said Welcome to Canada, same in China. Nothing to do, no need to power the phone on and off.

I would recommend that you NOT buy a Google/LG Nexus 5X since they have a chronic hardware issue. In fact avoid LG phones at all cost. They have had chronic quality issues. Even worse, they don't stand behind their warranty. Buy a different Quad band phone. Costco has a fully unlocked Moto G cell phone for about $200. It works very well and is reliable, unlike the Google/LG Nexus 5X phones. The Apple 6 series phones are reliable and I think all are unlocked as well. But I am not an Apple fan.

Here is T mobiles coverage for the Bahamas and south.
https://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

I was planning on going to go with Google Fi, but T mobile is much cheaper and has better service. Google Fi was a Google experiment that made sense when they started but now T Mobile and others have eclipsed Google Fi.

So my recommendation would be to get a unlocked quad band phone and make the best deal possible with T Mobile for their "One" plan. They "will" negotiate. They like a lot of phones on one plan and they require direct payment by credit card. Then if you get someplace and find that T-Mobile is a little weak, go buy a local sim card and install that for your visit, then swap it out when you leave. BTW, put your sim card in an envelope after you remove it. They are really easy to lose!

I have one of those international sim cards that works almost anywhere and I still have an account. I used that will doing a tour of Europe a few years ago. But now T Mobile blows them out of the water for rates. Its hard to beat "unlimited" data that only "might" slow down when you exceed 30 gigs per month! You can watch a movie on your phone each day and still not hit one gig per day.

If you do the math, T Mobile data is about 1$/gig. compare that to Google Fi which was $10/gig the last I checked. Its a no brainer.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:14   #32

We just keep our BTC smartphone, and just activate it as soon as we hit the Bahamas.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:33   #33

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49

Go to btcbahamas.com. They have changed all their plans from last year. If you use internet and phone a lot, the best deal is $29.99 for 15 days; it gives you 15 GB of data and a 1000 minutes of phone time. Once you buy a plan, you can have it automatically top up every two weeks. Data does roll over for one month, but only if you buy the same plan every month (I tried a 15 GB followed by a 2 GB, and that doesn't work, of course!). You must have an unlocked phone as everyone has said. Some computers take a SIM card, so you could buy just a data plan for that and pay by the phone call, but it's expensive to call the US (I think $.75 a minute). I think just data is 6 GB for $35 for 30 days, but you'll be able to find everything on the website. I am in the Bahamas now, so if you have any questions, feel free to email me at cc29firsttoday@aol.com.
Nickodemus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 15:46   #34

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

If you have a Verizon phone, you might want to consider this:
For $10/day you can use your phone as if you were in the US-same plan limits. There is no charge to sign up, just be sure to turn off or put your phone in airplane mode on days you don't want a $10 charge. Any activity: a sales call, a text, an email will trigger the $10 charge. I believe you can designate up to eight participating countries.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:12   #35

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

If you have Sprint service in US, sign up for Sprint Global Roaming. It works thru the BTC Tower system so you get service everywhere they have towers. We did this on our cruise thru Exumas in 2016. Aside from your regular monthly service cost, text messaging is free, 3G data is free, voice calls are $0.20 per minute. And when we got back to States we confirmed all charges were as per the plan. It worked the same when we went to France last year.

Now before someone says it's only slow data, I say "so what". I didn't go to Bahamas to play online, or watch movies, whatever. It's fast enough to check emails and post on forums if you want. Plus you don't have to mess with BTC, sim cards, monitoring data use, etc.
sailjumanji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:27   #36

Sprint in France ?? That will only work if you have a quad band phone, like an Apple Iphone, otherwise it will not work in France. Europe is GSM. They don't have CMDA in all of Europe as far as I know. The US carriers made the mistake of adopting CDMA in the US, but literally no one else in the world did. If you travel internationally you need to buy a quad band phone. Most quad band phones will work anywhere in the world. Whether your plan covers the use of them anywhere in the world is a different story.
I know this because I had to buy a GSM phone so I could have service about 4 years ago when I went to England, France, and Spain. My CDMA Sprint phone was worthless in Europe.
Quad band phones are no longer "expensive". The unlocked Moto G phone that Costco sells for about $200 will run on all of the services in the US and will also run in Europe and Asia.. its a quad band phone. If you can afford a boat, you can certainly afford a quad band phone!
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:38   #37

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9111 View Post
Sprint in France ?? That will only work if you have a quad band phone, like an Apple Iphone, otherwise it will not work in France. Europe is GSM. They don't have CMDA in all of Europe as far as I know. The US carriers made the mistake of adopting CDMA in the US, but literally no one else in the world did. If you travel internationally you need to buy a quad band phone. Most quad band phones will work anywhere in the world. Whether your plan covers the use of them anywhere in the world is a different story.
I know this because I had to buy a GSM phone so I could have service about 4 years ago when I went to England, France, and Spain. My CDMA Sprint phone was worthless in Europe.
Quad band phones are no longer "expensive". The unlocked Moto G phone that Costco sells for about $200 will run on all of the services in the US and will also run in Europe and Asia.. its a quad band phone. If you can afford a boat, you can certainly afford a quad band phone!
Hmm, my HTC One and my wife's iPhone both worked. We were in Paris for a week, and then went south and did a Le Boat trip on Canal de Midi for a week. We had service at both.

I don't know technology. I just know it worked. I had one long call from a racer wanting to protest his PHRF rating, as I stood outside museum. How do you think that went? On my vacation!

My wife used both phones to call Le Boat base when we had engine problems. We also sent lots of texts with pictures attached throughout the trip.
sailjumanji is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, service