Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 10:08   #1

Boat: Saving up for my dream girl
Best U.S. City for Sailing on a Budget

hey forum,
I will be wrapping up my college career this spring and, like most of my peers, can not realistically anticipate making any real money for at least the next decade.... So riddleme this? What is the best U.S. cityto livein forsailing on a budget? Opportunities for paid and, of course, unpaid crew positions, formal ASAor ussailing training, length of sailing season, open sailing community in general, and cheap housing, public transit, are all considerations. I'm interested to know your opinions! Thanks.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Best U.S. city for sailing on a budget

Although the sailing here is excellent throughout the year, housing in the SF Bay Area is expensive.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:13   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

The three favorite I would list are Seattle San Francisco and San Diego. (yes a sailing city has to start with an "S") I like all three of them for different reasons. 1) Seattle has access to some of the best cruising grounds in the world but the winds aren't that great, 2) San Francisco has great sailing winds but the cruising grounds aren't as nice as Seattle. Lots of oppurtunities to crew on race boats for free. and 3) San Diego is warm and has good sailing. Cruising is more of a challenge. I have kept my boat in all three areas (well not Seattle but the PNW) and have enjoyed them all.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:17   #4

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Atlanta isn't bad win Lake Lanier but you are limited on size. The Great Lakes are affordable but have long winters. Why about along the Chesapeake Bay? New England isn't what I'd call affordable and neither would I call San Diego affordable. The Carolina's are nice but not sure about industry's there. What is the ultimate career field once employed? SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 20:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

It's not just because it's where we have our boat...

The Corpus Christi area is the same latitude as Tampa. Unlike most of the rest of the country, South Texas has had little impact from the "Great Recession". Jobs are plentiful, housing is cheap. No income taxes. The wind blows ALL of the time. If you want to race and don't have a boat, crews are always welcome on the Wednesday night races. If you want, you can live downtown and walk to the marina or the beach - rents are downright cheap. If you want more of an "island" experience, try Port Aransas. There's plenty of work down here for those that want to work. The wages might seem lower, but the cost of living is too.

BTW, we were sailing last weekend in the Gulf in bathing suits and t shirts. And, because the wind blows ALL summer, it's not all that hot.

P.S. There's an ASA sailing school, too.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 21:09   #6

Be sure to check out Annapolis MD

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:28   #7

I would say somewhere on the Chesapeake Bay, or the Gulf coast. Anywhere on the west coast is going to be more expensive to live. The east coast isn't bad cost-of-living wise until you get to New Jersey and north from there. But for real year-around sailing I would stick to the Gulf coast (which is one reason I chose to live in Tampa).
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 12:13   #8

Boat: 1970 C&C 30 Redwing
Re: Best U.S. city for Sailing on a Budget

You live in one of the best states for sailing. Stay here! You can't go more than 40 miles on any of the coasts of Michigan (lower and upper peninsulas) without finding a great place to keep a boat.

While I am in the smaller community of South Haven I really like the upper portion of Lake Huron, look into Thunder Bay, Presque Isle, Drummond Island, the Snows. Lake Michigan: Pentwater, White's Lake, Beaver Island. If you stay away from Grand Traverse Bay and points north, costs are fairly reasonable.

And the sailing is great too.
Bobalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 12:22   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

US virgin islands,Pt.Rico,Texas coast,Maybe not cheap but can sail alot..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 12:28   #10

Boat: Tom Gilmer designed "Blue Moon"
Send a message via AIM to UnlikelyVoyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
hey forum,
I will be wrapping up my college career this spring and, like most of my peers, can not realistically anticipate making any real money for at least the next decade.... So riddleme this? What is the best U.S. cityto livein forsailing on a budget? Opportunities for paid and, of course, unpaid crew positions, formal ASAor ussailing training, length of sailing season, open sailing community in general, and cheap housing, public transit, are all considerations. I'm interested to know your opinions! Thanks.
Tampa?

Check out my blog: UnlikelyBoatBuilder.com
UnlikelyVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 12:31   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlikelyVoyager View Post
Tampa?
Ditto!

If I didn't own a boat, most anywhere in FL would be good for me.
Old 13-01-2012, 18:15   #12

Boat: 19' Flying Scot

Is Tampa cheap? I thought pretty much anywhere in FL would be pricey unless you are 1hr+ up a river from the coast.

Another vote for Chesapeake Bay area. But it does get cold during winter and quite humid and hot during summer. And the job market is quite good here even in this economy.
Ashura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 11:39   #13

Boat: Beneteau 473

After traveling all over the US and having boats in Florida and California I've settled in San Diego. IMHO, it's got the best weather ever, and to me year round sailing can't be beat. You can explore the Channel Islands to the north and Mexican waters to the south, and since you're a young guy, you can explore the "Gas Lamp" district on the weekends! Great food, clubs, etc... Good luck!
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 15:10   #14

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
The three favorite I would list are Seattle San Francisco and San Diego.
I feel like marinas in San Diego are inordinately expensive and the local cruising is pretty bare. The Channel Islands are cool but way too far for even a long weekend.

But I feel San Diego is a good place to be from. I have a much higher tolerance for 'no wind' than other people-- even the calmest passages tend to be substantially better than the average afternoon in San Diego or trip to Catalina.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 15:40   #15

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
I feel like marinas in San Diego are inordinately expensive and the local cruising is pretty bare. The Channel Islands are cool but way too far for even a long weekend.

But I feel San Diego is a good place to be from. I have a much higher tolerance for 'no wind' than other people-- even the calmest passages tend to be substantially better than the average afternoon in San Diego or trip to Catalina.
And what about the foggy mornings. Nice weather for the beaches, but boring for sailing. I lived in Mission Bay right next to the Islandia Hotel for 3 years. Had to move........................_/)

Tags
budget, sailing