Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2017, 13:30   #1

Boat: Grampian, 23
Best time to sail from Vancouver to the Philippines?

If I wanted to make a straight run at it what would be the optimal time to depart? I'm reading a lot of articles saying late June to early July. But I've also read leave as early as March.

I know it would be beneficial to resupply in Hawaii but I am undecided on that. Perhaps you can give suggestions based on both scenarios?
Tidjian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 14:06   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Best time to sail from Vancouver to the Philippines?

Before we go ahead and answer this, have you actually done an offshore overnight passage on your own?

Why do I ask? because you biting off far more than you can chew.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:42   #3

Boat: Grampian, 23

I have! I'll admit to mostly coastal sailing and lake sailing. I'm sure it's going to be a mouthful. Perhaps even hit a point where I'll say this might've been a bad idea. But in the likelihood I'll do it anyways I'd appreciate a little insight on the ideal time of year or a route I should lean towards. I have time to prepare and do my research as well as do some offshore sailing for practice.

Before you jump to this guy is an idiot or careless of the necessary experience required. I haven't done a whole lot with my life. I've more or less dreamed like every other fool but stayed in the comfort zone. Now I don't have a lot of time left but I got a whole lot of regret. I can stay here and be comfortable and when the curtain draws I'll say to myself maybe next time. Or I can take my chances and whatever happens I'll be able to say I went out there and gave it my best shot. As I said it's only December I have some time to prepare and with helpful advice and determination I believe I can do this.
Tidjian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:38   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

So why not do the passage in a slower, more typical route. Head south to Mexico, then off to the Marquesas, then through the South Pacific and eventually up to where you want to end up in a few years.
Old 08-12-2017, 15:02   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Tidjian,
When passage planning, measure the distance ....
and then for a small sailboat add about 35% seaway factor on to distance

Then overlay that timing onto a calendar that shows the months YOU DO NOT want to be in an area.

Approaching the Philippines, June to end of November, is the busy Typhoon season, so very high risk to be transiting through from Palau to Philippines at that time.

Repairs and refurbishment are a fact of life, so recommend that you test yourself and the boat out in smaller stages first, before doing a very long ocean passage.

Consider clearing into US in San Juan's from Van, then work your way down Washington /Oregon coast to San Fran, where you depart towards Philippines at a lower lattitude and transit via the Marshalls and Micronesia (stopping to rest if you wish) so that you arrive in Philippines around March...
Hope that helps.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 15:43   #6

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidjian View Post
If I wanted to make a straight run at it what would be the optimal time to depart? I'm reading a lot of articles saying late June to early July. But I've also read leave as early as March.

I know it would be beneficial to resupply in Hawaii but I am undecided on that. Perhaps you can give suggestions based on both scenarios?
In the small boat you propose using.......I don't think you can carry supplies for non stop......you could be 4 months at sea taking a North Pacific route
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 17:50   #7

Boat: Boatless

Tidjian,

I am anchored in the Marshal Islands only 2,600nm from the Philippines having sailed from Canada on the Atlantic side. What has been the most striking element of the trip is the gear failures suffered by my boat and other boats crossing the Pacific, rigging, lost masts, major engine and transmissions failures. At least 2% of all the boats we have met and drunk beer with have sunk or been abandoned over the last 3 years between Panama and Fiji a total of five boats all with crews more experienced than you.

You are crossing three hurricane/cyclone/typhoon zones. I am moored next to a boat that the owner though he could ignore hurricane zones...he finished up in the mangroves in Fiji without a mast.

Buy World Cruising Routes: 7th edition

https://www.amazon.com/World-Cruisin.../dp/0957262647

Work out a sensible plan...the trip is doable but it requires a strong boat, good financial reserves for repairs, a sensible plan and a great deal of seamanship. Plus there are many wonderful places to visit enroute and you can even get boats fixed in at least 30% of them.

Good luck

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:56   #8

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

I don't think you appreciate the distance and time involved. As has been said, get a copy of Cruising Routes and work it out at a conservative speed for your boat.

Best to go down the coast to Mexico or beyond, then across to French Polynesia, then NW from there - and have some fun enroute!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:12   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

You say " Or I can take my chances and whatever happens...."
Are we to assume you plan to do this trip Solo ?

If so, all the more reason to heed the advice given here by others.
If not...who do you plan on putting in Harms Way with you?

Think this thru carefully.

Good Luck
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:10   #10

Boat: Destroyed AMEL SUPER MARAMU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidjian View Post

You need the book ROUTES, from Jimmy Cornell.
You´ll need a passage planner httpa://www.pangolin.co.nz/ocean_passages

fair winds
Old 09-12-2017, 10:11   #11

Well the moderator picking Tidjian’s questions each morning is at least entertaining.

In a response he mentioned “regrets” and “time.”

I get that. If he leaves my only hope is that he does not put others in harms way, even if that means diverting resources from others in need. This passage in a Grampian 23 with extremely limited experience has a predictable outcome and it is not good.

Side note, anyone at the point of being ready to sail one of the largest ocean passages already owns “World Cruising Routes” and has been on noonsite daily.

Careful what we encourage folks.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:56   #12

Quote: "If I wanted to make a straight run at it what would be the optimal time to depart?"

We must certainly give you high marks for tenacity :-)! Tenacity is a trait that stands any sailorman in good stead, and is an essential component of any competent skipper's personality. But as has been hinted at in numerous ways on several different threads, if tenacity isn't backed up by knowledge and experience it deteriorates into foolhardiness.

You are familiar with the aphorism "Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment" So let's go around the mulberry bush one more time: You need to go out in your home waters and exercise you judgment, bad as some of us think it is, because that will give you the experience that MAY enable you to develop good judgment! When you've seen the elephant, we might show you the Bengal tiger ;0)! Whether it is one animal or the other you have an assignation with, creep up on it slowly and quietly. And then get the Hell outta there before the beast gets you!

To answer your specific question: The OPTIMAL time to depart Vancouver is AFTER you've done that. The calendar has nothing to do with it till then!

As I've said before: Be systematic. As I see it, here is a “path” to follow:

1) Play with the Grampian out in English Bay beginning now. In the spring, when it's blowing 12 balmy knots from SE, but no more, take her over to Degnen Bay. The distance from Jericho Beach to Gabriola Passage is about 30 miles as I recall. That will take you the entire day in a G23, because you are likely to have a set of 2 knots on the beam crossing the Strait. Unless you know how to compensate for that, your distance over the ground is gonna be closer to 50 miles. You cannot count on more than 4 knots through the water in a G23, so there's a 12 hour day for you! And you still have to go in through the pass where the tidal current may well be 6 knots and the whirlpools are enough to set a cockleshell like a G23 spinning like a whirligig. After that, you still have to get your hook down. Mind the reef on the souwest side of Degnen. Often it doesn't show on the water's surface. It'll rip you centreboard out if you have it down. It's gonna be a long day :-)

2) Once those kinda things are outta the way, get a REAL boat, and fit her out with the ESSENTIALS. We can talk later about what they are, but suffice it to say that a vane bolted to the transom of a G23 is likely to rip the transom right out of her if you are hit by a grown-up wave at sea. One boat, among the many that would do the trick for you, as it has done for other people including some that you might meet at Cooper's on Granville Island, is this:

VANCOUVER 27 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

When she and the ESSENTIAL equipment have been paid for, squirrel away fifty grand for a “cruising fund”. You'll need it. A replacement engine is fifteen grand. A new suit of sails is as much by the time you've paid the freight to Polynesia :-). A new standing rig for TP set the PO back five and thirty grand. That was before the sails.

NOW, but not before, you'll be in a position to consider doing what you are proposing, and doing it safely.

And please don't forget that once a skipper acquires a reputation for foolhardiness, he'll never find competent crew. Competent sailors are too smart to ship out with a foolhardy/inexperienced skipper!

All the best :-)!

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Tidjian,

Work out a sensible plan...the trip is doable but it requires a strong boat, good financial reserves for repairs, a sensible plan and a great deal of seamanship. Plus there are many wonderful places to visit enroute and you can even get boats fixed in at least 30% of them.

Good luck
1. Strong boat-no
2. Financial reserves-no
3. Sensible plan-no
4. Great deal of seamanship-no

Limited time.......this caught my attention along with regrets.

What is in the Philippines? Why not sell the Grampian and the 1/2ton pickup, fly to Manila, by a 23’ something there and cruise?

Are there health issues which you seemed to have alluded to?

If you do this one of two things will happen. You will succeed, write a book, become a celebrity of sorts in the cruising world and encourage others to do the same.........or the alternative.

Consider carefully, again it’s not your life I’m particular concerned with, it’s those you may put at risk.

I found myself in Tonga trying to help an Italian singlehander with a 30’ monohull up on the rocks. Spent hours and risked my RIB, our catamaran, my life. He had no anything and the boat was a total loss. From there he had to beg his way back to Italy and who knows what happened from there.

Just an avoidable tragedy all around.
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:54   #14

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

I support what the other's have to say. Sell your boat, sell your truck, sell everything you own. Fly to your destination buy another boat, read how others did it then write your own book on how not to do it.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 14:50   #15
Marine Service Provider

It would best to go after Duterte is no longer in office. Why sail into a thug's murder-for-fun territory. Use the time to hone your offshore sailing skills.
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Philippines, sail