Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2014, 14:40   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Best shoal draft under 35 ft. Blue water sailboat

The Pearson 35 is a good boat, sailed mine solo to Hawaii and planning on doing a circumnavigation of the NW Pacific this coming summer. They are easy to sail, will maintain an easy 5-6k under sail with moderate winds, 3'10" draft with board up, tons of storage. Negatives are relatively small interior, not very maneuverable under power in tight quarters. Another issue is age. They seem to have held up very well over the years but unless things like the engine, rigging, sails, etc have been upgraded, that can be a substantial additional expense.

It's a buyer's market for smaller cruisers at the moment. There are a ton of boats out there in your price range. Look for one that has much of the equipment like self steering/auto pilot, cruising canvas, dinghy, etc. and in good condition as it sounds like time is not on your side. Might want to pay more for a boat that's ready to go. Any boat you buy will eat up money making it your boat so leave some extra funds for those goodies.

Other boats that you might consider are Morgan 33, 34; Pearson's 30'-35', Tartan 30, 34, Allied 30-35, Alberg 30, Bristol 33, 34, 35.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 15:32   #17

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi Ronaldsons...first off...best wishes with your ailment...Now,I had looked for a suitable sailboat for over 5 years...Budget being my issue, I finally found what I wanted for the price I wanted to pay...Through the buying journey I became very familiar with sailboats and where they are cheaper etc. Scour the internet...the N.E.down to Fla. is your best bet...Find something under 10,000 and put 5-7000 into her and GO!!! They are out there...if you want some help looking, PM me and I'd be glad to help. I am a newbie to sailing but not to looking and buying... I have been blessed with a few good friends and all the wonderful assistance from this site to help me find my way. I offer you all I have learned...Good luck and God Bless...
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 04:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail374 View Post
You would surely find a trip down the ditch (Intercoastal Waterway) more pleasant than a run down the mighty Mississippi.

You should do some research. I won't claim one is better or worse but going down the river system is an awesome trip. (I would suggest the tenn-tom route for a first timer).

To the original poster,
- a $25k budget will really limit you.
- As others have said, get some experience before just buying the first boat you come across.
- Will you be single handed?
- Will your health issue create any limitations that might affect your ability to manage the boat?

While I believe they are too large to single hand (personal feeling towards single handing larger boats), an older Gemini 3000, Catalac or similar older catamaran might be found just above your price point. They offer the stability of a catamaran at anchor for easy living with shallow draft to get into all the shallow anchorages in Bahamas
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 07:21   #19

Boat: 295 Everglades CC twin 300 Yamaha

Hello Ronaldsons,
Your best solution would be to advertize yourself as a person or couple that wishes to Sail the Bahamas and the Caribbean and will pay your room on board and share expenses.An arraignment like this will have many benefits.
1. You don’t need to tie your money up in hasty purchase.Not knowing what you really want in a sailing vessel or what will meet your comforts.When you buy, maintenance,repairs and upgrading will be a guarantee which brings in an X factor to the finical equation.
2. Since time is an issue. Buying a boat requires a certain investment of time.Another thing to think about as a proud owner of a vessel is when it comes time to sell. This also will be time consuming and an added responsibility to your bucket list. (unless you donate)
3. Learning to sail with a school could cost you substantially. Jumping onboard with a savvy, seasoned sailor will save you time and money. Taking to the sea with an experience sailor will be a much safer endeavor than taking it alone.
The only challenge will be finding someone willing to accept your money that is compatible with you. You may find the perfect person as soon as you put up your post and be on your way tomorrow.The only (one) down fall with this plan is the possibility the folks you set sail with turn out to be incompatible however the solution is simple.Just respectfully disembark at the next nearest island.
Good Luck and Best Wishes
kick1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 07:44   #20

I would look into finding a fresh water C&C 32. They have a swing keel so it meets the shoal draft requirement. C&C's are fairly bullet proof and good sailors. Good luck in your search.
wmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 07:51   #21

Boat: Bristol 27

How about this one:

A Cape Dory 27. It's built like a brick lighthouse!

1980 Cape Dory 27 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

CAPE DORY 27 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 08:19   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best shoal draft under 35 ft. Blue water sailboat

Personally I would recommend this for an ideal all round live aboard... and your budget has $10K to play with any thing like new keel bolts for peace of mind.. the new engine is a real bonus...

1976 Westerly Longbow 31 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 04:36   #23

Thanks to everyone for all your good advice. I am going to start looking on the East coast and Florida for a Pearson Triton in sail-away condition. There are many available. They are cheap. There is a lot of info about maintaining and inspecting. They are adequately big enough for me. I will have plenty left over for a cruising fund. Any suggestions before I road trip to East coast?
Ronaldsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 11:06   #24

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Don't lolly-gag like me...GET ER DONE!!!
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 12:55   #25

I have to "ditto" what Enrique100 said. Lots of people spend years just finding the right boat, and then more years getting it ready for a voyage. You don't have that time. I think your money would be better spent chartering in the Bahamas, the BVI, the Grenadines, or wherever else you want.

In fact, one big advantage of chartering is that you can do it in the Caribbean if you want to, but you can also do the Great Lakes, the PNW, the Mediterranean, the South Pacific... Pretty much anywhere. With your own boat, obviously, you would be far more limited.

Of course, if the dream is about owning a boat, rather than sailing in exotic places, then that's a different matter. I wish you luck, however it works out.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 04:42   #26

Only problem with chartering is the cost per week. I want to hit it and stay gone not just for a week but as long as I am physically able. The only part of this I am totally new to is the switch from power to sail and navigation. Has anyone read Carribean Island Hopping by Captain John?
Ronaldsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 09:20   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldsons View Post
Only problem with chartering is the cost per week. I want to hit it and stay gone not just for a week but as long as I am physically able. The only part of this I am totally new to is the switch from power to sail and navigation. Has anyone read Carribean Island Hopping by Captain John?
Yep. Just get a boat and get started. Take care crossing the stream to the Bahamas and then RELAX! Nothing says you have to go further than that... or you can if you want! There are places in the outlying B'mas hardly anybody goes if you want some seclusion or "wild".
My first crossing to the Bahamas we crossed with a 24 ft production boat, the couple on it were both 6'3" and 6'4"! They couldn't stand up inside! BTW.. we did have to go under and put some underwater epoxy on their bolt on keel joint in Bimini... started leaking on the crossing....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 11:48   #28

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

[QUOTE=Cheechako;1701070]Yep. Just get a boat and get started. Take care crossing the stream to the Bahamas and then RELAX! Nothing says you have to go further than that... or you can if you want! There are places in the outlying B'mas hardly anybody goes if you want some seclusion or "wild".

I can go along with this but as a former Merchant Master I can't go along with the statement, if I read it correctly, that you have no navigation training. If you can't navigate with some degree of precision you leave youself open to all sorts of disaster. You can have all the most advanced electronics in the world and have it wiped out by a single lightning bolt. Then you need the skills to get home safely! Please consider it.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 14:15   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldsons View Post
Yeah.. maybe I misread the "....totally new to is the switch from power to sail and navigation..." I assumed he knew how to nav a power boat but was unsure of crossing that over to a sail boat.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 14:41   #30

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

This is a very inspirational article about cruising small boats on the cheap. A bit smaller than you're looking for, but the general approach is awesome.

Duckworks - There's Another Way
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft, sail, sailboat, water