Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 12:57   #91

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'
Re: Best Sailing channels on Youtube

Here is another question... Why are there no powerboat V-Blogs? I haven't found any. Even trawler V-Blogs are sparse. I have seen, maaaaayyyybeee, two? I would really like to see the same sort of formula applied to cruising The Bahamas under power.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 14:11   #92

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Here is another question... Why are there no powerboat V-Blogs? I haven't found any. Even trawler V-Blogs are sparse. I have seen, maaaaayyyybeee, two? I would really like to see the same sort of formula applied to cruising The Bahamas under power.
Boating Family:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-W...xVkNHarp5lq_GA are on their trawler cruising the Bahamas

The early Miss Lone Star if you are into that.

These guys https://www.youtube.com/user/TalesFromTechnomadia just bought a big Bayliner with the intention of doing the Great Loop.
Old 14-04-2017, 06:49   #93

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Yes, you get much better over time, but scripting, collecting footage (and there are always more than one take), downloading and sorting it all, editing, rendering, then finding the wi-fi to upload is such a full-time job, it is hard to even think they do much else during the day.
Agreed! I simply can't imagine carrying a video camera with me everywhere I go and filming everything I do. Then I go back to my yacht and sit in the cabin, miss the sunset and edit video every night. Oh wait, I gotta get some wine and sit in the cockpit and video myself enjoying the sunset! 5 minutes after the sun goes down I then rush back to the cabin and continue editing.

Ugh, I don't think this was what I envisioned!

One good video/editing model is possibly Delos. When they have a full crew of 7 at least 4 of the 7 seem to have a camera with them so they have lots of footage to sort through. If you watch the credits at the end you will see "Chief Mouse Clicker" and it is the crew member responsible for that episode. They spread it around to take the pressure off. Not sure how well it works but it would seem to be better than one person doing it all.

The present top money maker, at least I think they are, is La Vaga and you will notice in their recent episodes they are seeking a full-time videographer to move aboard with them. They admit it is overwhelming to produce quality, they can't enjoy the boat. Gotta love truthfulness!
Old 16-04-2017, 09:53   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Agreed! I simply can't imagine carrying a video camera with me everywhere I go and filming everything I do. Then I go back to my yacht and sit in the cabin, miss the sunset and edit video every night. Oh wait, I gotta get some wine and sit in the cockpit and video myself enjoying the sunset! 5 minutes after the sun goes down I then rush back to the cabin and continue editing.

Ugh, I don't think this was what I envisioned!
In a recent Gone with the Wynns video, he was walking back to the camera and he said something like "It's like living everything twice..." It's a lot of extra walking and extra...

Every time I go to make a video of my trips I realize that none of the interesting things are on video because I am too busy enjoying/enduring them. And so my videos are almost incomprehensible to anyone who wasn't there.

Some West Coast vloggers to follow:
Adventure Adrift:Sailing With a Purpose
Sailing Vessel Adventurer
Off the Starboard Hull
Life is Like Sailing
Old 16-04-2017, 10:16   #95

I noticed this today.

A disgruntled La Vagabonde "applicant"

It's gonna be fun to watch where this "Patreon money" game goes over the next few years.

PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 10:31   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I noticed this today.

A disgruntled La Vagabonde "applicant"

It's gonna be fun to watch where this "Patreon money" game goes over the next few years.

Duplicate post? That pretty much confirmed yourself as sh*t disturber, not that there was much doubt.

Hope you are having a nice Easter anyway.
Old 16-04-2017, 10:36   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Duplicate post? That pretty much confirmed yourself as sh*t disturber, not that there was much doubt.

Hope you are having a nice Easter anyway.
Hey! That wasn't very nice!

They should join these two threads. It's all about the same thing.

Happy Easter too!
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 13:43   #98

Hi and thanks for this Thread to exist,

It's always very interesting to see what other people think about a Vlog. I personnaly started one name SeaPixie Adventure and I always tought that the most important things for a Volg is the personnality of every protagonist.
I personnaly do not apprecialte channel that make there view based on naked lady on a thumbs like S/V Devos.

My favorite channel are without contest Sailing Uma and White Spot Pirate. Their videos are great and reflect the reality of what living aboard is.

Take care and enjoy what you can when you can !
Seapixieadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 06:24   #99

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seapixieadv View Post
I personnaly do not apprecialte channel that make there view based on naked lady on a thumbs like S/V Devos.
That is a very good point. 'Sailing Doodles' is another big offender in this category. I get that is leads to multiple times an increase of viewers, but is really kind of underhanded and exploitative. However, if he (they) are trying to offset their expenses or earn a living via YouTube, I guess it is hard to blame them. Sex sells, and all that gibberish. It is a sad reality and the sailing channels are far from the only ones engaged in the practice. Still, if you believe in your content, why treat it like that?
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 07:15   #100

Boat: C&C 37/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seapixieadv View Post

My favorite channel are without contest Sailing Uma and White Spot Pirate. Their videos are great and reflect the reality of what living aboard is.
Fair comment on thumbnails... Bob Bitchin of Cruising Outpost Mag is often held to task on this but he says magazines with pretty girls on the cover simply sell better. Love his magazine - don't mind the pretty girls - but acknowledge the issue.

On the internet the term for an attractive or suggestive thumbnail is "click bait" People say they hate it - but if you check the views on S/V Delos as an example - it certainly works.

I would also point out that the Delos crew mention that they put clothes when they are recording sometimes. I think they present a pretty accurate view of their lifestyle.

Love Sailing Uma though. They are incredibly resourceful, super nice people...
Tasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 23:18   #101

Boat: Laguna 30

Loving Sailing The Boat,
just discovered Sailing Uma,
dumped Sailing Doodles.
Old 26-04-2017, 23:21   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4001r View Post
Loving Sailing The Boat,
dumped Sailing Doodles.

And I like Sailing Nervous, but an attorney who uses numbers 4 letters? A bit uncre8ive...
Old 27-04-2017, 13:37   #103

Hi,

I also have to mention, a super cool documentary about sailing is the following :

The name of the documentary is Hold Fast : few punk (1 guy and 3 girls if I remember correctly) purchase a old sailboat for peanuts. They made this one sailing even if the boat condition was... crapy, very crapy.

I really love this docu, those guys got some guts and they do things because they believe in it.

It's what inspire us (me and my girlfriend) to get a sailboat. Ours is old, water was entering from everywhere (look at the video, it will give yo ua fare idea) but the boat have a very good reputation and we intend tto do a nice circumnavigation with it.

Our channel is :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0I...1u5ItApoLHrLXQ

Like it or hate it, it's just a way of life, but at least watch Hold Fast, you won't be disapointed.
Seapixieadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 18:26   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4001r View Post
Loving Sailing The Boat,
dumped Sailing Doodles.

Follow The Boat. Derp.
Old 27-04-2017, 18:59   #105
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

I've noticed Delos have dropped the nudity these days.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing