Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2017, 15:28   #61

Boat: Between boats--currently shopping
Re: Best Sailing channels on Youtube

I like MJ Sailing. I believe Matt is an active poster on this site. I started with the blog and now they're doing movies:

MJ Sailing

And I just started Jessica and Ryan adventures. It's cool because they are just getting started--like us.

Jessica and Ryan Adventures
AZ Parothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 15:46   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
This is an excellent question or point. There are many youtube sailing channels out there but only a couple that I would even consider watching. The majority are just too painful, absolute amateurs doing some pretty stupid things. I just watched an episode of Sailing Uma. They were offshore in a questionably seaworthy boat, beating into 30 knot winds with no lifelines on the boat, no jack lines setup, no harnesses, I just shake my head and the sad part is, people watch this **** and figure, " hey we should do that."

I much prefer to watch something that is done by someone who has an idea of what they are doing.

I have noticed more than a few things as I watch these various channels. Mostly a lack of life jackets when offshore. And lots of people on catamarans going onto the sugar scoops to pull a fish in without being on a tether. And very few, when they add new crew talking about safety or MOB drills.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 17:15   #63

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
And very few, when they add new crew talking about safety or MOB drills.
Just because they don't show it doesn't mean they don't do it. After I've seen (or been involved in) one drill I'd rather not watch videos of other people doing it.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 13:44   #64

My favorite channel has been S/V Delos, I was in their second to last video for about 1 second. I happened to be in South Africa the same time as them and partied with them. They are great people, who love what they are doing.

Another favorite channel for me is Sailing Britican. It follows a British and American couple with their young daughter on their journey. They are doing their best to make all their videos dominated by sailing and what they are learning. I suspect that the more videos they make the better they will get.

I like La Vagabond but haven't consistently watched.

I have struggled because, I believe that once people noticed that there is a chance a making money from these videos more people have jumped in. They will do anything to try and gain viewers. This leads to what I believe to be as stupid videos. I don't want to name any but I think people can tell when someone is acting out just for attention. I know that we all want to live our dream and get paid to do it, so good on them for at least trying.

You will always have naysayers, (your boats not worthy, you don't do it right etc....) forget them. If it's your dream do it, they can watch and judge while you land in awesome places, still saying your boats not worthy. Sometimes ignorance will lead you to accomplish a lot of things, and maybe sometimes is will bite you in the butt.
kmartind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 17:59   #65

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172

I watch a lot of these videos, especially over the winter, when the boat is put away. I tend to skip through the touristy type of stuff though, as it kind of bores me.
I like the sailing, & the other part of sailing, ie fixing the boat. So, when Have Wind Will Travel found out they had rotten stringers- that was good.

Or this guy:

... as he says, "no BS, just sailing".
Old 24-02-2017, 08:03   #66

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

[QUOTE=Zednotzee;2332611]I watch a lot of these videos, especially over the winter, when the boat is put away. I tend to skip through the touristy type of stuff though, as it kind of bores me.
I like the sailing, & the other part of sailing, ie fixing the boat. So, when Have Wind Will Travel found out they had rotten stringers- that was good.

I agree with you. I also gravitate towards sailing content blogs and stay away from "look at me" type blogs. There is one particular one that annoys me, its the one where she doesn't have a boat, knows little to nothing about sailing, wants a boat and is using someone elses boat to have people send money through patreon.

If you are interested in watching a good Canadian Blog check out "lifeislikesailing"
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 07:45   #67

As someone who is just getting into sailing I watch alot of these on the web.
Some of them have actually motivated me to start working towards taking the leap into the cruising life, but thats not before some 10 years from now, or more (I am in my early thirties, kids, and so on). I do however try to charter and get as much experience as possible in the meantime.

Most channels were already listed in this topic, however, I just recently came across another one which looks good so far after watching a couple of videos. A young pair starting their circum.nav. on a beneteau 411 (after losing their first boat to the sea). Dont know if they will keep it up, but so far I enjoyed alot of sailing footage as well as some detailed maintenance coverage, without much experience and with some fooling around. Oh, and no patreon, at least so far.

SY SKYE
zazox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 13:15   #68

Boat: Albin Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcid View Post
https://www.youtube.com/user/alaskagraphy

A couple sailing in Alaska. They are so funny!
PS: they are hunters - so if you are against that I wouldn't watch their videos
Thank you! I saw a few of their vids and forgot the name. Bear burgers while sailing oh hell yeah!
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 15:38   #69

Boat: Herreshoff 36

My new video of sailing from Las Palmas to Cape Verde before crossing the Atlantic:

https://youtu.be/epkKdIc_qQw

Sent from my HUAWEI Y550-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-03-2017, 15:51   #70

Boat: Laguna 30

I was watching Sailing Doodles. It's okay. DrakeParagon, but in the second season they spent waaaay too much time on their NYC visit.
I'm watching Cruising Off Duty now.
I'm looking for education wherever I can find it.
keith4001r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 17:44   #71

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

There is one that I always look forward to watching aside from Delos. It's called Winded Voyage. The guy is really cool and he was involved in the music/magazine business, so he really knows how to edit a video with good tunes. He's from Switzerland I believe and it shows him trying to pass his sailing tests in the beginning to getting his boat sorted in France. Some other fun characters in France too. He's finally off.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 18:04   #72
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Well, I like sailing Uma :-)

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 18:10   #73

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
I have noticed more than a few things as I watch these various channels. Mostly a lack of life jackets when offshore. And lots of people on catamarans going onto the sugar scoops to pull a fish in without being on a tether. And very few, when they add new crew talking about safety or MOB drills.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...ohQs7XNDp59NNK
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 18:12   #74

Boat: Currently in between

The more there are the larger the variety. That is a good thing because then there is something for everyone!
Old 29-03-2017, 12:20   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

We strive to "keep it real" by showing not only the beautiful sunsets and clear waters, but also the difficulties that we face on the day to day by cruising on our Beneteau 423 sailboat. We have several thousand followers and we're doing our best to maintain our consistency by posting one video per week.

Let us know what you think! https://www.youtube.com/couchsailors

Tags
sail, sailing